+ Reply to Thread
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Family lawyers?

Are there any family lawyers here?

My parents are getting a divorce. They separated around 5 years ago. My dad has more assets than mum, mainly super and savings.

Apparently his lawyer said he may have to give her money he has earned since the separation if she claims she has medical expenses or something like that (she will). Is this right? It seems very unfair. Would he have to give her some of his future earnings too?

Also, he has an extensive music collection. It's not worth much but he's worried mum will want half of it out of spite. Can he "gift" it to me so he doesn't have to give it to mum or is there something preventing offloading assets just before a divorce.

Thanks so much

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not a family lawyer, but my understanding is that yes, assuming that if you mum hasn't worked as much ie earned as much as your dad, he may need to make sure that she is provided for including medical expenses.

Any assets (ncluding a music collection) would need to be split, and any 'gifts' given prior to the divorce could become footballs in a legal stouch. Don't get involved. For example if he sold it to you for $1, then he could then have to recompensate your mum for half the commercial value of it regardless of whether she collected the music or him.

My adivce - dont' mention the music collection (and hide the original Beatles LP's)