+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Exclusive pumping for feeds

I have a 2 month old who was born preemie at 34 weeks and has never latched on. She spent 3 weeks in special care where she was tube fed and in order to get her home I made the decision to give her EBM in a bottle.

I have tried and tried with the help of lactation consultants and midwives but have had no success with breastfeeding. She is currently 3.3kg so still very small for her age. I have been exclusively pumping (3hrly) and feeding her EBM for the past 2 months and have made the decision that I will probably continue down this path as it is just too stressful for her and for me to try and get her to breastfeed (although this is something that I would have loved to have done after BF my son for 9 months when he was little).

I was just wondering if anyone has had any success transitioning from 3 hourly pumping to 4 hourly and then eventually 6 hourly pumping and still able to yeild the same amount of milk? I am currently getting between 900-1000ml every 24 hours when pumping 3 hourly and would like to continue getting this amount.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by Cinderella82; 10-08-2013 at 21:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could of wrote your post word for word. My little one is 4kg and is 8 weeks old. She was so tiny born that she never latched properly. I am pumping every 3 hours during the day and 4 hours during the night, inbetween trying to bf. I hope there is someone who can answer your post, i just wanted you to know your not alone. I am taking fenugreek and blessed thistle just incase my supply drops and i am pumping out about 900ml per 24 hours.

P.S. Nothing to do with your question but i was wondering how much does your bubba drink per feed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi maartysmum - I have 14 week old twin boys and have been pumping the while way through! I had a lot of trouble breast feeding as I have flat nipples, but thankfully have a great supply. We are exclusively on breastmilk and I have plans to continue until at least 6 months. It is damn hard work and a huge time commitment, so two thumbs up to you!

I started off expressing two hourly in the hospital and progressed to three hourly once my milk came in - and did that until the boys were about 8 weeks. I would express just before bed (about 9pm) and again at midnight an early morning. I would yield about 2L per day, depending on how long I spent at the 'coal face'.

I have moved on to a more relaxed schedule now - though with the boys being older (with bigger mouths) we do one breast feed session each per day and my overnight feeds are half noob half bottle. I pump now at 8am, 1pm, 6pm and 9.30pm and get about 2 - 2.5L per day. The transition to the longer break took a few weeks and I had some engorgement but it has worked. The hardest part was dropping the midnight pump (my boys get up in the night at about 3am so that replaces the early morning one). Wear a tight fitting bra to bed, that will help slow te production down at night...and dry pump after each daytime session to simulate baby's demand increasing. I try not to move too much Fromm schedule so my boobs know what to expect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You would never guess...my DD has finally decided that she does want to be breastfed!!! I have given her 4 sucessful breastfeeds today after persisting one last time. She must have known that I was about to give up the task!
    To answer your question Cazza1981, she was taking between 70-80ml every feed from the bottle.
    Thanks so much for the advice and support ladies...I was crying watching her feeding today..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to maartysmum For This Useful Post:

Cazza1981  (10-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there. My DD was born at 25 weeks and never latched properly. I pumped for 9 months for her - initially 3 hourly and I kept at 3 hourly for a few weeks, then went 4 hours overnight and kept 3 hourly during the day. After about 3 months dropped to 4 hourly night and day and after a couple of more months I was pumping 4-5 times a day and still getting about the same amount. For me the longer we went on the more my supply regulated and I could vary expressing times without really affecting the amount.

i hope she has turned a corner and you can bf!