+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Some questions from a new mum

I have a couple of questions that I can't figure out...

1. When you're out with a baby in the pram and you need to go to the toilet and there are no parents rooms around, what do you do?

2. I went to a restaurant a few weeks ago with no where to change my baby's nappy. Luckily we were in a private function room so I just discreetly changed her in her pram. But what if I wasn't in the private room, I don't really want to open a stinky nappy in the middle of a restaurant - what would you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi JR

If there were no parent rooms, I would use the disabled toilet, there is usually room to push the pram in (or shopping trolley )

For nappy changes in a restaurant I would just step outside, or somewhere away from people and use the pram. I have also gone back to my car before and used the boot/back seat. I have found very few restaurants that dont have some sort of facility..I have found quite a few places that i would rather use the pram than the grotty facilities!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know some who would frown upon it but I have used the disabled toilet so I could get the pram in with me. Luckily only got caught out the once (and it had to be the one time I had dd in the pram, not in the carrier!)

Haven't experienced your 2nd dilemma but maybe go out to the car?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good questions! Here is what I do...

1) If no parenting room I look for a disabled as usually there is enough room in there for my pram and many disabled toilets have change tables in them. There have been a few times when there wasn't a disabled toilet either so I either had to hold on or search for one. Maybe someone else has a better solution.

2) I'm the same as you I don't want to change a dirty nappy in a crowded restaurant so usually DH or I will take DD back to the car to quickly change her.

Hope that helps. it took me awhile to get my head around taking DD out and about because of things like this but with practice it does get easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I quite often have changed nappies in the boot of the car and if I need to go to the toilet and there's no parent room, I either park the pram in front of the toilet door and keep it ajar so I can see bub (I try and get an end cubicle), use the wheel chair access toilet as others as said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another one that uses the disabled toilet here if there are no parent rooms. DD is nearly 4 now though but I have started having to do this again as I can't fit her and my big pregnant belly in some public toilets. DH also will take her to the disabled if there is no patent room as that's a better option got us than the men's room. I was only thinking the other day about this actually as soon I will have a bub in a pram plus DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I have a couple of questions that I can't figure out...

1. When you're out with a baby in the pram and you need to go to the toilet and there are no parents rooms around, what do you do?

2. I went to a restaurant a few weeks ago with no where to change my baby's nappy. Luckily we were in a private function room so I just discreetly changed her in her pram. But what if I wasn't in the private room, I don't really want to open a stinky nappy in the middle of a restaurant - what would you do?
    1. Use a disabled toilet
    2. I would go to the car or change in the pram outside

Thanks
    Reviews
    I Also use disabled toilets. And in a restaurant with no close parents room I just change her in the pram discreetly. I have once change her on the bench seat in the restaurant because the parents room was very far away while I was at the shops. I wouldn't change a poopy one like that though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there!
    I, as others have mentioned also try to use disabled if no parents room. I've also been known to use normal ladies toilets- I just use the very last cubicle against the wall- I go in and pull my pram in front of me. Obviously the door stays open as pram only fits half in. I quickly go. I haven't had a prob doing it that way. The pram covers you and the only comment other toilet users have made to me is positive & also agreeing on lack of parents rooms ect ect

I wld also just change bub in pram. If ur not in private area- I wld just walk the pram out of the restaurant to a quiet area outside and change bub there everyone understands when you a have a baby they must be changed- I just wldnt do it around food or ppl eating but if u step outside just change baby in pram

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your responses. My mum told me she used to go in the end cubicle and leave the door open but I didn't believe her haha! I guess when you've gotta go, you've gotta go!