+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breast pump for exclusively pumping

Hi everyone. For many reasons I have decided to exclusively breast pump for as long as I can for this baby. I did it for DS so I know the work involved but I used the advent electric and I think that may be why my milk dried up overnight at 6 weeks

So for any of you guys that exclusively pumped for a long period - do you have any recommendation for the best pump? I really way a double this time. I was sold on the Madela freestyle but have seen another thread that they go mouldy so now I'm not sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sil used the ameda more expensive one. It's a closed system and works well for full time pumping.

i have the unimom single one, love it, much better then the tommee tippee one I had (got rid of it because it was an open system) but I only use it once or twice a week at the moment. I did express 150ml in 15 mins the other day though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You need a hospital grade one. I used the unimom double forte. It's hospital grade and a closed system so no chance of milk flowing back. It's also a very good price. I also used the medela symphony double hospital grade. It's a closed system unlike some of their other pumps. But it's VERY expensive. Like almost $700. Well at least that's what I found. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hired a Medela Symphony (hospital grade double pump) and exclusively pumped for 9 months.

I know there is another thread about Medela and open v closed systems, but have a read of my comments there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Missie Mack - thank you for you advice. I saw your posts about the Madela mould issues. I don't mind paying the money but I obviously don't want to make my baby sick.

I have had a look at the ameda,union and spectra. They all look good do you have a reccomedation out of the 3. I saw the ameda at $210 which was the double purely yours which is an ok price, so all 3 I can afford.

Honestly I am a bit sceptical that the unimom and spectra are so cheap but can be hospital grade. Is there any flaws I should know about? Sounds to good to be true IYKWIM

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just my type of thread..I am also exclusively pumping for feeds and am currently using the good old basic Avent manual pump (3 weeks now) and I am finding that it is working heaps better than the electric Medela twin pump that I used for the first 6 weeks. I found the Medela wasn't fast enough to get my let down but with the manual one I can control it. I don't have an issue spending 20 minutes on the pump and I find the manual one gives me more freedom to walk around the house (with the twin one I was stuck at the dining room table for almost half an hour!). Currently I get about 900-1000ml from the manual pump and I am pumping 3 hourly. I have posted another thread asking if any other mums have had luck transitioning to 4 and even 6 hourly pumping as this is something I would like to do and still maintain milk. Good luck with your exclusive pumping, it takes a lot of dedication, a lot of people don't realise how much of a committment we are making to ensure our bubs gets the best..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maartysmum View Post
    Just my type of thread..I am also exclusively pumping for feeds and am currently using the good old basic Avent manual pump (3 weeks now) and I am finding that it is working heaps better than the electric Medela twin pump that I used for the first 6 weeks. I found the Medela wasn't fast enough to get my let down but with the manual one I can control it. I don't have an issue spending 20 minutes on the pump and I find the manual one gives me more freedom to walk around the house (with the twin one I was stuck at the dining room table for almost half an hour!). Currently I get about 900-1000ml from the manual pump and I am pumping 3 hourly. I have posted another thread asking if any other mums have had luck transitioning to 4 and even 6 hourly pumping as this is something I would like to do and still maintain milk. Good luck with your exclusive pumping, it takes a lot of dedication, a lot of people don't realise how much of a committment we are making to ensure our bubs gets the best..
    this is what i used too just a manual pump for ten months

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zoomas For This Useful Post:

maartysmum  (28-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Really wow you guys are awesome!!! I had the advent electric/manual pump. Did the manual out and about but found it boring TBH. Will try manual more for this one - maybe I will prefer it more as well?