+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Need advice- how to finally lose weight!

Hi all,
    I am a first time mum of a 1 year old. I have always been a "curvy" girl and am a vegetarian (dairy ok but no meat/fish). I weigh 96kilos & am 172cms tall. I have never been under 90 kilos in my life and am very bottom heavy (especially in the thighs).

I am unhappy! I have never shifted this weight. I am now just over 30 and think well its now or never.

Not sure how to go about it. Feel very overwhelmed as there is so much information out there I don't know what option to go & especially being vegetarian u always have to modify everything. i bought the following books and looked at Lola berry 20/20, I quit sugar, Michelle bridges etc.... I just feel even more overwhelmed.

Also not sure should I do a detox or something to kick start? I just don't know!!!

I would love any advice on just where to start? I'm ok with portion sizes & have cut out most junk food etc.. Not sure with diet & exercise. I am often so busy & tired with my son that I don't do any ( I know that's sooooo bad to say!).

Would love food advice & thoughts on exercise schedule ( how much?/often)

Any advice is warmly welcomed Or anyone in similar situation who wants to do this with me let me know :-)

Thanks in advance.

J

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You don't have to detox! It's hard to say where to start with the exercise given I'm not sure of your fitness background. It also depends where you plan on working out - at a gym, in the park etc? If you are a person who needs motivation I'd suggest a Bootcamp style class or similar

With your nutrition I think you are starting off well - cutting out the junk food. Make sure to include plenty of veg, lean protein (eggs will be great for you if you eat them?), healthy fat and nutritious carbs. Don't forget to treat yourself though

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Teenz For This Useful Post:

Bluekrushbabe  (10-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm an absolute beginner in exercise. I just don't know how to fit it in my day I'm so exhausted and barely get a minute to myself.

I'm not good at sticking to diets as they r usually to extreme. R there any good eating plans to follow ( of guidelines) that are free ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi! I'm on my phone at the mo and out and about but I will write from home later!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My DP gained a little weight over the past few years and this year decided to lose it. I can see it falling off him. He's done nothing over the top, he just gets up half an hour earlier in the mornings and rides our exercise bike at a good pace. Apparently exercise is best early in the mornings. He eats healthy, but doesn't exclude anything altogether. I don't think cutting out too many things altogether is good for the long-term.

He works very long hours and does his fair share with our 7 year old and he actually says he's *less* tired now that he's getting up earlier and has a good exercise/breakfast routine.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I need to do exercise too I just had a hysterectomy done 3 weeks ago and I really hate the way my stomach is going !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    IMO the best way is to change your lifestyle. Forget diets and detoxes and quick fixes, they don't work in the long term.
    Start eating 'cleaner', drink more water, and exercise. I also found I lost weight (though I didn't need to really) when I started eating MORE food.
    I run 3x a week (couch to 5k) and walk twice a week as well.

Mostly though its all about diet. I've had massive changes by eating a lot cleaner.
    Last edited by Rarity; 03-04-2013 at 14:58.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rarity For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I do intermittent fasting. Google it if you are interested.

Personally for me it was like discovering a magic potion to a great body I swear by it now. But I know its not for everyone so its best to do your own research.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    I do intermittent fasting. Google it if you are interested.

Personally for me it was like discovering a magic potion to a great body I swear by it now. But I know its not for everyone so its best to do your own research.
    Is this like the five days on whatever you like and 2 days eating low cal/carb?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    My DP gained a little weight over the past few years and this year decided to lose it. I can see it falling off him. He's done nothing over the top, he just gets up half an hour earlier in the mornings and rides our exercise bike at a good pace. Apparently exercise is best early in the mornings. He eats healthy, but doesn't exclude anything altogether. I don't think cutting out too many things altogether is good for the long-term.

He works very long hours and does his fair share with our 7 year old and he actually says he's *less* tired now that he's getting up earlier and has a good exercise/breakfast routine.
    That's really interesting about your DP being less tired even after getting up earlier to exercise. I want to get into the habit of waking earlier to go for a walk on the treadmill but i'm not a morning person at all and i'm turned off by the idea of possibly be even more tired... Hmm.. Maybe i should give iy a shot.

Op, i find a fruit and veg fast a great way to kick start a diet.
    Have you read the book 'skinny b!tch'. It's written by 2 vegans and takes the vegan approach to weightloss. May be worth checking out?