+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We used smarties as a reward. One for a wee and two for a poo - if they did some on the floor and some on the potty then no reward, it had to all be in the potty. But if they did do a wee in their pants I would still get them to sit on the potty just to make sure they were empty.

I also found keeping them in pretty undies was better than just wearing nothing. The whole "keep your pants dry" can be a good reinforcer. Plus if they do a poo at least it's caught in the undies, still gross to clean but much better than trodden into the floor!

Even though it is a huge hassle I really think a lot of kids need to have these accidents to get the idea of what happens when they wee/poo. If they never see it because it is contained in a nappy then they will never learn.

All kids TT differently. DD2 was dry day and night 7 weeks after her 2nd birthday. She just got it with no real effort on my part, didn't even need to bribe her with smarties or rewards.

DD3 on the other hand was 2 1/2 before I even started TT - she just had no idea. And it took her a good 6 months to stop having regular wee accidents. She was about 3 1/2 when we stopped night nappies.

Stick with it while you have time - because when you have another baby it will be so much harder!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SpottySocks For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (28-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No rewards. Lots of praise when in potty but no comments when on floor.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (28-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I might be going against the grain here, but I don't think there's any harm in showing your little one that you're a bit disappointed if they have an accident. Nothing major - a slight frown, and "your undies are wet," said in a disappointed tone is enough.

After all, if I believe my child can do well at something and she doesn't, I am disappointed. I sort of think it's my job to get her to be the best she can and showing disappointment signals to her that I know she can do better. That's confidence in her ability, not annoyance at her behaviour if that makes sense?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cdro For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (28-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribing - don't really have any advice but DS is the same!

He understands that he should go on the potty but then doesn't actually do it. He will do a wee in his pants and immediately say to himself 'Don't wee in the pants, wee in the potty!' So it is like he gets the concept of it but just can't be bothered.

I am thinking of doing the 3-day potty training with him but it is so rare for us to have a day at home - let alone 3. I think I'll go quietly insane. But if that's what it takes....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I think you have missed the boat to be honest. Your dd is roughly the same age as my dd1 and this time last year we TT dd1.
    Is there a magical TT Boat!!?? LOL. All kids are different I know my DS wasn't ready until he was over 3. We tried a number of times and it didn't work until he was ready.

I used to take him to the toilet every hour or so. A star chart worked for us in the end. He got a small star and I made a huge fuss for every wee and a big star if he did ALL his wee's on the toilet that day. We started with the TT Pants and he was doing great! Then we had a week where he regressed so moved to the cloth ones which catch most of the wee but feel awful when wet. After about 3 days, he was doing all his wee's on the toilet. He didn't like the potty. He's been TT for about 4-5 months now and we've only had a couple of accidents when he hasn't made it in time. Can't convince him to do no 2's in there though. Not even bribery has worked!

So keep trying. She'll get it when she's ready. But I wouldn't reward her unless all the wee/poo is in the potty/toilet.
    Last edited by Californication; 28-03-2013 at 19:17.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (28-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I agree that when she is ready she is ready. Both my kids were both about 2 yrs 9 months when they started using the toilet. We regularly kept trying but didn't push the issue. For both of them, from the first wee on the toilet to being completely night trained was 3 months, imo bc they were ready. I have a family member that trained her boy a lot earlier, used to brag how he was 18 months and weeing on the potty while DS was still in full time nappies. She had huge issues long term with accidents and him not being number 2 and night trained until he was at school.

It is frustrating, but I firmly believe you let them start when they are ready.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (28-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    My worry is that she really doesn't seem to care. She's all smiles when she goes on the floor, and says "Oh well, mummy. It was just an accident." I'm trying to get her to understand we don't want her to go on the floor, but without making a huge deal about it. She just seems to not care...
    I understand you don't want to traumatise her but I think it's okay to explain that it's yucky to poo and wee on the floor. Make a gross/yuck face when it happens. Gentle discouragement.

My DS was the same. Waaaay too confident that accidents would be breezily forgiven hahaha. After I knew for sure he had control (not where you are right now with your DD) I actually had to get quite stern and be "upset and disappointed" when he did accidents in his pants. This worked for us and it hasn't psychologically scarred him.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (28-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdro View Post
    I might be going against the grain here, but I don't think there's any harm in showing your little one that you're a bit disappointed if they have an accident. Nothing major - a slight frown, and "your undies are wet," said in a disappointed tone is enough.
    Yes agree! (Sorry, hadn't read the whole thread hahaha).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

Cdro  (28-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bitterpure View Post
    Subscribing - don't really have any advice but DS is the same!

He understands that he should go on the potty but then doesn't actually do it. He will do a wee in his pants and immediately say to himself 'Don't wee in the pants, wee in the potty!' So it is like he gets the concept of it but just can't be bothered.

I am thinking of doing the 3-day potty training with him but it is so rare for us to have a day at home - let alone 3. I think I'll go quietly insane. But if that's what it takes....
    Thank you so much, everyone, for all your awesome advice! I really appreciate it. It's also great to hear from other people who have been in the same boat! bitterpure - we're the same with never being home, but have been making an effort to stay home to do this. And yes, I am going insane...

Re the 'nice undies' suggestions. She does have nice ones, that she chose herself. However, when we'd tried before she would start off by saying things like "I don't want to wee in my Minnie Mouse knickers", and then seem really surprised to have an accident, and then - after a couple of changes - get upset and ask for her nappy back on. So this time around I thought going for no undies may help her feel less like she had a nappy on.

Good tip about expressing a bit more disappointment too. I think for those children who are a bit more blase about things, that may help!

Well, update at the end of the day...

I'm feeling a bit more optimistic than I did this morning.

After her poo accident this morning, we have had NO accidents today!!!! I can't believe it! She did several wees in the potty (and she seems to want to use that rather than the toilet), and I rewarded each one.

Had to take her out to swimming and then the shops, so I stuck some pull-up training pants on her, and she didn't wee in them at all. Then we got home and she did ALL her wees on the potty for the rest of the day!!

I'm so excited! And exhausted...

One thing that helped was that she loves wearing dresses, so I put her in a dress but no nappies/ undies, and explained that if she got wee on her dress then it would have to come off. She seemed to 'get it' immediately, and was even really careful when sitting on the potty, to make sure her dress didn't go in there too!

We'll see how tomorrow goes...

Thank you for all your support so far. I've been really stressed about this (and trying not to let her see it), so it's been great to be able to ask questions and express my stress on here! So tiring spending a large part of the day staring at someone to see if they're about to go to the toilet...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I reckon she's got it. My money's on no accidents tomorrow. Go you!

Make sure you keep updating us, I'm loving the success story from today.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cdro For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (29-03-2013)