+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Some good suggestions here already. I'll add one that worked for my DD re: distraction.

Get her to stop what she's doing and help you clean up when she has an accident. She will soon figure out that going to the toilet is quicker than cleaning up an accident. Emphasise that she has to stop playing, clean up the floor, clean up herself, put her knickers / clothes in to soak, get clean knickers / clothes etc.... Make multiple steps so it takes ages.

My DD cottoned on pretty quickly that going for a "quick try" meant back to the toys faster than an accident.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lynken For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (27-03-2013),Guest654  (27-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynken View Post
    Some good suggestions here already. I'll add one that worked for my DD re: distraction.

Get her to stop what she's doing and help you clean up when she has an accident. She will soon figure out that going to the toilet is quicker than cleaning up an accident. Emphasise that she has to stop playing, clean up the floor, clean up herself, put her knickers / clothes in to soak, get clean knickers / clothes etc.... Make multiple steps so it takes ages.

My DD cottoned on pretty quickly that going for a "quick try" meant back to the toys faster than an accident.
    Thanks - I will definitely give that a go!

When I tried once before, I got her to help me clean up after an accident. However, I stopped it because she LOVES helping to clean, and was getting really excited about the mopping up part! But I didn't do all the other steps with her, so I can definitely work on making it a lot less fun to clean up...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I started TT my DS just before he was 2 1/2. I read the 3 day potty training book and took bits and pieces from it. The best advice that worked for us was to stay home for at least three days and to only wear jocks (and a top if it is cold) but no pants.

The book suggested you tell your child they need to keep their pants dry and to constantly remind them of that throughout the day. If they show signs of needing a wee sit them on the potty. Reward them (little cheap presents workded the best in our house) when they do a wee or poo on teh potty. We had a present box and he could pick one item every time he went in the potty.

We had lots of wee accidents for about a week, then one or two a day for about 1-2 months then one to two a week and now they are very infrequent.

If he wet his pants I would tell him his pants are wet, we need to change them and he needs to keep them dry.

It can be a frustrating process but try and keep it as simple as possible for yourself. Try to minimise washing and cleaning by only dressing them in undies and have heaps of paper towels or a mop and bucket ready. Stay home and spend a few days just focusing on TT rather than the house work and running errands (easier said then done I know but it will be worth it.

By the third day or towards the end of the week you will notice a HUGE difference. You just need to pick a method that works for you and be consistent as you child wont understand if you constantly change your approach.

GOODLUCK, it will happen it is just a matter of time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to happy dance For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (27-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    Yep, there'll be lots of accidents for the first day or two, even 6 in an hour. It's normal. Her body just expells urine whenever it's there, she's never had to hold it so her body doesn't know how to. You have to watch carefully and scoop the off race them to the toilet and say something like "UH OH!! HOLD ON!" and then "YAY we made it to the toilet!" sort of thing. Not just wait till there's pee on the floor and say, oh no, nevermind it's just an accident. You've got to watch like a hawk and catch it every single time.

I never actually made Hayden sit on the toilet for extended periods though, I would ask him if he needed to go constantly, like every 5-10 minutes but never just took him and made him sit there. We only went when he said he needed to or I caught him at it, or just before going out.

We are a very very busy family here and go out non stop, we are never ever at home, so when you're going to do it you REALLY need to choose a time wisely and devote a few days to nothing but toilet training. My daughter was 3 months old when I started toilet training DS.
    I think all of this advice is spot on.
    We tried taking DD to the toilet every half hour, then stretched out the length of time between. 4 months later, she was great at holding on, but had no idea that she was supposed to tell me when she needed to go. I had to stop taking her, and just go when she needed to go. After I did that, it took two days and she started telling us she needed to go. 3 days is pretty common - just stick with it for a little bit longer! The more consistent you are, the better your chance of success.

When I asked DD whether she needed to go (roughly every 5-10 minutes), I would say, "are your undies dry?" If they were, I would say, "well done!" and make a little fuss so she understood it was a good thing. Then I would continue with "when you need to wee, say wee wee wee." The little positive reinforcement upfront seemed to work well for her, and I also wanted to be clear with her about exactly what she needed to say when she needed to go. I saw absolutely zero result for a couple of days but it was worth it in the end.

Hope you don't have too much carpet in your house. Hang in there!
    Last edited by Cdro; 27-03-2013 at 15:49.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cdro For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (27-03-2013),Guest654  (27-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thank you

happy dance - the present box sounds like a good idea! I've tried chocolate and stickers so far, and on all occasions she has (after initially showing some interest) said "No thank you. I don't want any X..." Maybe the element of surprise will help!

Cdro - unfortunately our lounge has carpet, as does her bedroom, but other areas are tiled.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom. Definitely taking it all on board!

The weird (?) thing is that she doesn't seem to have any 'signs' that she's about to do a wee. I've seen other kids hopping around, or putting their hands between their legs, but DD doesn't do any of that - she just does it quietly while doing whatever else she's doing! Makes it hard to catch her in the act...

Thanks
    Reviews
    So, day 2... Appreciate any advice as to if I'm doing something wrong /could do it better.

No nappies. DD in nude. Sat her on potty - nothing. Reminded her about it, showed her that sticker chart, told her that if she did a wee or a poo on the potty then she'd get a special present.

DD decided to sit on potty for about half an hour while watching ABC. (Thought this may be better than roaming around peeing everywhere, so left her there.)

Didn't do anything. Stood up to go play. Touched her bottom, so I asked if she needed a poo. Said she didn't. Reminded about potty /rewards. About 1 second later did a poo on carpet (no warning - I was watching her like a hawk).

I grabbed potty and sat her on it. She said sorry, but didn't seem bothered she had gone on carpet. I cleaned it up while she sat on potty. Saw she'd done little more on potty, so praised that.

Cleaned her up. Gave her sticker for doing some on potty. She asked for special present for going on potty. I explained that it didn't all go on potty - most went on carpet - so I would just give her a little present (which I did). Explained if next time she can catch it all on potty then she can have big present.

My worry is that she really doesn't seem to care. She's all smiles when she goes on the floor, and says "Oh well, mummy. It was just an accident." I'm trying to get her to understand we don't want her to go on the floor, but without making a huge deal about it. She just seems to not care...

Everything I read is about kids who want to do it but are scared/ upset. Nothing about those who don't care either way! Any more advice much appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i think she is losing the message in all the stickers/presents/prizes. or maybe she is just not ready.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So would you do it with no rewards?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    does she have nice undies? for dd...she loved keeping her undies clean and that was our focus.

We kept things very simple...a tictac for a wee on the potty (she did much better on the potty at first) and she got a little person for her first poo on the potty but after that it was just the tic tacs. I need rewards to be very quick and simple! Then, I stopped using the tictac unless she asked...which she forgot mostly lol

If she stayed dry all day we made a big fuss at bath time (ie "wow, these are the undies we put on this morning, well done schmoo") and then she would get to pick the pretty undies for the next day which she loved.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (28-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know that some people use 'themed' underwear and make a big deal of not getting (for example) Thomas the Tank Engine wet. Like "oh dear, poor Thomas, he's wet. Thomas doesn't like to get wet. Next time we need to go to the toilet otherwise he'll get wet/dirty again and he wouldn't like that AT all would he?"
    I'd also keep the reward simple. DS1 got a sticker for no1 and 2 for no 2. He liked to wear them on himself and on a really good day he'd be covered in them and proudly show them to daddy when he got home. DS2 didn't care for them but as chocolate is his currency it was one choc drop for no1 and 2 for no2.
    I know other people that have taken their kids to the shops and bought them whatever toy thy wanted and put it up (high) but where their child could see it. They weren't allowed to play with it till they had a whole day dry. Worked for them as it was a visual reminder?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to spunkles For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (28-03-2013)