+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 7YO around when we watch the evening news? Is it unhealthy?

Do you allow your school aged children to watch the evening news? Or stay around in the living room to play while you watch?

DH feels there is nothing wrong with it (he chills out watching news after dinner) but I am concerned about all the murder and violent things that get reported EVERY SINGLE DAY and DS1 who is 7 is quite curious.

Every day there are reports of car crashes and young people dying and we do like to remind DS1 the danger of speeding (one day he will become a teenager and he loves fast cars!), but I am not sure if it is a good idea at all having him watch news.

What do you think?

Thanks.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Personally, my DS (now 8) has and will occasionally watch the news. His year 1 teacher got him interested in reading the newspaper so he would also read the news and see the graphic pics (thinking about the time when Tokyo flooded in 2011).
    For me, I dont see an issue. The world isnt a bright, shiny, safe place.....DS knows that things ebb and flow and sometimes terrible things happen. We have been in the car on the way to school and the morning report was on the radio and said someone died in a car crash and we discussed how sad it was and how it can happen etc. I dont think its morbid, I see it more as facts of life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dont see a problem with it generally although my ex SS couldnt watch it because he was a worrier and what he saw on the news would keep him up worried

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    We don't let DD1 (7.5) watch the news. She watches plenty of things that help her understand the world around her but not the news, mainly because I don't want it to be the last thing she sees before she goes to bed as she tends to be a bit of a worrier about stuff and can dwell.

I really think it depends on the individual child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids have always been quite aware of what goes on in the "real" world - my DH was a police officer and is now a fire-fighter. Unfortunately he doesn't rescue cats out of trees every day , so they are well aware of what he does/did. I like to have a very honest relationship with the kids and don't shield them from that sort of thing. I use what they see and hear about as very valuable learning experiences. By 7 my DS has already got a stong moral compass and opinion on lots of real world things that will help him as he gets older (such as drug use, speeding, graffiti, drink-driving etc).

My children at 5 and 7 witnessed me have to resusitate a drug user who had OD'd (while on a holiday island ), it was scary for them but it was a perfect opportunity to teach them as well, and they now have a very strong anti-drug stance that I hope they will hold with them forever. (don't get me wrong, it's not something I would choose for them to witness)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I should add the problem I have with DD watching the news is I can't pick and choose what she watches. I don't mind if she knows about natural disasters etc, but I don't want her to know what happened to Jill Meagher, nor about school massacres like Sandy Hook. I know there will come a time where she knows about these things, but I don't want that to be now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

wktz  (27-03-2013)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I really think it depends on the individual child.
    Absolutely agree. Some kids are more sensitive than others and the news would/could be soooo incredibly upsetting and distressing for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would let him watch unless he is obviously getting distressed.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dd1 is 5 but I won't be letting her watch the news at 7 or 8. I don't want her to have to make sense of that stuff until she's a bit older -10 or 12 is the age I have in my mind. We will talk about the ways the world can be cruel & how to protect yourself etc. but I just think the news is too heavy handed and kids need to be kids. If they didn't show graphic images etc then maybe I would be ok with it. But I don't want to explain what is under that line of white sheets on that street, or what that noise is while those people are running away, or why that building has been knocked down/ that aeroplane is on fire / that car is in bits and those people are crying. I just don't want that stuff shoved in my kids faces.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    it does depend on the child.

DS thinks/obsesses on things too much so I do have to filter what he sees and when he sees it. Evening news is out because he would then not be able to sleep.

I will often sit down with him and look at news stories on the internet, especially big news stories. Or, if we have been discussing something and I mention a relevant case, I will go and find some info on it for him.

I feel, that watching it every day...prob helps no one. It would be too much. But, i do think that knowledge of current affairs is a good thing.