+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If this was happening, the dog would have to go- no doubt about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    I'm actually really surprised this is a real question. My child would come first always! It's a no brainier for me!!
    Yeah its a real question. I've had my dog for over 10 years and he's always been fine with kids. Just he's rather old now and has zero patience for my 2 year old. We keep them separated as much as possible. Sometimes i'm dead set going to get rid of him other times not so much. I dont think anyone would want him, he's old, needs medication always so the alternative is rspca surrender or vets. Its a hard decision. Hes a little dog (small mini foxy) which I know can still do damage but not as much as a big dog. See I've talked myself out of it again...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is there anyone you trust who can take him in?

My friend had her dog for over 10 years, the most placid dog ever - until she snapped and ran across the road to attack a small dog being walked. Shocked the hell out of us. She was getting old and had health issues. She never did it again but none of us had kids to worry about back then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, that is a really hard decision. Is there any way you can keep them separate on a permenant basis? At least until your child is old enough to understand that he needs to be left alone. Can you fence off a section of your yard or something for the dog? I would try anything and everything first in your particular situation but something's got to give. Obviously the dog cant be allowed to hurt your toddler but its such a touch choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would probably keep him, do my best to keep them separated and to teach my toddler to leave him alone.

Maybe put a baby gate up someplace where the dog has a safe comfortable place to be that your toddler can't access and visa versa.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candiceo View Post
    Yeah its a real question. I've had my dog for over 10 years and he's always been fine with kids. Just he's rather old now and has zero patience for my 2 year old. We keep them separated as much as possible. Sometimes i'm dead set going to get rid of him other times not so much. I dont think anyone would want him, he's old, needs medication always so the alternative is rspca surrender or vets. Its a hard decision. Hes a little dog (small mini foxy) which I know can still do damage but not as much as a big dog. See I've talked myself out of it again...
    I absolutely understand where you are at. once dd came along one of my dogs started to become aggressive and was very unpredictable. He didn't get near my dd but he had a go at me and repeatedly our other dog. I was constantly bargaining with myself about if I could make it work having him there, because it was my fault after all because I didn't handle the transition as well as I should have, and he was here before she was and I hadn't taken appropriate charge of the pack. In the end I didn't keep him, and I think it was for the best but it wasn't an easy decision.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I woul suggest talking with a professional trainer or as crazy as it sounds dr Harry ceasar Milan type person! Try find out why the dog is snapping, it's a tough situation but wouldn't you rather try find the source of the issue before jumping to answers?

Good luck OP

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Slyph For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (27-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I would prefer a dog that snaps at my kid than a dog who doesn't and then one day just loses it and attacks. If the dog snaps but doesn't draw blood or injures its the way they say 'I've had enough' mother dogs even do it with their young. It's just up to you as the dog owner to recognize those situations and give your dog an exit oportunity. Also very important is to teach kids to see the signs and walk away.
    I have a big dog and hes amazing with DD, but he has limits and things he doesn't like so we just give him his space and make sure DD is not bothering him.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (27-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd struggle to give up our 12 year old dog with health issues if she snapped. In fact, I couldn't.

Unless you can personally find another home for ot you need to accept that surrender to the rspca at that age and with health issues...well...its not going to get adopted. Sad way for your dog to spend their last few years.

In thiscase unless you can find it a home, having it put to sleep is probably more humane.

Although id probably be looking Ito why it snapped and then keeping them separated , personally.

Good luck

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (27-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It wouldne a no brainer for me if my dog got snappy, but shes a 40kg rotty. I ca n see how it would be a harder decision for you. Do you have any childless friends that would take him on?