+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dogs that snap

Just curious to know what others would do - would you keep your dog if it snapped at your toddler on repeated occasions, leaving bruises but not breaking the toddlers skin?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    no

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not a chance

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My Chihuahua looooves my DS and has never showed aggression towards him BUT (thanks to an overexcited toddler and a parent who was ignoring me) he will snap at ANY other kid if they get close to him.
    IF he doesnt take to my baby once its here, Im going to have to see if my mum wants him or something because I wont have a dog that snaps at my kids.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would prob keep dog but keep it seperate from the toddler at all times.

If it was goign to be cruel for the dog to live like that I would prob get it rehoused.

I would also ask has the dog ever been trained, can it be trained now etc.

We a kelpie that is quite snappy by nature, my DS is only 4mths old and they are not really together ever. They see each other window and have limited supervised contact in small amounts (more just familiarisation).

The dog has been trained and even though snappy will listen to us and stay sitting in whatever spot we tell her to when DS is older and we are outside. Likewise the dog will walk behind us on command and not walk anywhere else if we say - so I think these things all contribute to the overall situation if that makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    First I would find out why he is snapping, most dogs snapping is the fault of the parent or child. What does your child do right before he gets snapped at?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No, especially not if it wasn't the first time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ah no I would not

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    No, I would get rid of my dog. Which would break my heart but my child is too precious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would get rid of the dog, I'm sorry to say. I grew up with a snappy dog and it was always in the back of my mind when my friends were around, even though he had a big fenced off backyard. He bit a friend through it :/ then when I was about 18 and he was quite old he went blind and bit me quite badly and then my little sister got bitten running past him to see if I was okay.