+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When did your breastfeeding times start to space out?

Hi there,

just want to know everyone's experience on breast feeding. When did you start to notice the feeding times change?
    During the day I have to feed every 2 hours and at night it is spaced out between 3-4 hours which is great.
    but it's hard during the day to get anything done, takes nearly an hour for. Feed and trying to get him back to sleep, then he's up again in an hour to feed again.
    hr is 6 weeks old on Sunday.

what have you all experienced in this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It sounds pretty normal for your 6 week old. I still feed my 10 week old every 2 hours. The only thing is that he's gotten quicker as he's grown so at least I don't have to be sitting down for ages. Sometimes he has one longer nap during the day so goes 3 hours between a feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysmama View Post
    It sounds pretty normal for your 6 week old. I still feed my 10 week old every 2 hours. The only thing is that he's gotten quicker as he's grown so at least I don't have to be sitting down for ages. Sometimes he has one longer nap during the day so goes 3 hours between a feed.
    Thankfully my husband was listening to the midwives he said that things start to settle at 3 months... Hopefully. But it's good to know that this is all normal. When you say quicker how long would you say, including burping?
    i kind of feel silly asking all these questions that I have been, but I have found out there isn't a mothers group in my area, so don't really have a chance to discuss similar situations with other parents

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I feed 1-2hrly till 6mths then 1-3hrly till 12mths. But after 3mths I find bub takes about 5-10min a feed.

Ive never burped my babies.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

MayW  (28-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS2 takes 5-15 minutes for a feed. He only feeds on one side each feed. I don't really burp him. I put him up on my shoulder and he has a spew. :/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluest Blue Box For This Useful Post:

MayW  (28-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd is fed every 4 hours,sometimes more often, depends on how long she sleeps overnight for (10 hours most nights) Usually gets 5 to 6 feeds a day in. She's 4 months.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Leahmaree For This Useful Post:

MayW  (28-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember feeding was pretty erratic until 11-12 weeks when feedings settled down to regular 3 hourly feeds.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to curlyhead21 For This Useful Post:

MayW  (28-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    Hasn't happened for us yet. DS2 is 5 months and feeds 2 hourly or less around the clock. Occasionally he will go 3 hours between feeds at night but it has happened so infrequently I can count the times on one hand

You LO sound pretty normal for 6 weeks!
    oh gosh how do you cope with it for so long. I'm hoping things space out very soon. At night my feeds range between 3-5 hours its very strange how it changes from the day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    we're the same as btmac...i think with breastfeeding it depends on your storage capacity and fat content and basically your genetic makeup of your breasts.
    Poeple with a plentiful supply seem to be able to go longer between feeds but others (like me) with a lower supply need to feed more frequently round the clock.
    at the end of the day its your own breastfeeding relationship with your bub so just do whatever makes you bothg happy; don't please others

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

MayW  (29-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like your 6 week old is doing very well to be giving you longer streches at night. All babies are different! My first was sleeping through at 6 weeks, breasfeeding every 2 hours in the day then contantly from about 6-10 when he went to bed and slept until 7..

then my second came along. He fed constantly day and night until about 6 months then bedshared with us and stopped feeding and started sleeping about 11 months.

Then comes ds3... He is 15 months, still feeds every 1.5 hours overnight at the most. Day time is fine, he has 3 feeds

I did exactly the same with all 3!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mmy2b For This Useful Post:

MayW  (29-03-2013)