+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Solids/bottles routine help

Hi everyone,

im hoping to get some helpful advice from all you knowledgeable ladies..

my DD2 is 6 months and 1 week. She's on formula and has solids 2-3 times a day and really enjoying it. But my routine is a little out of whack because she wakes for a feed around 3-4am. This is what usually happens:

bottle around 3-4am. Back to sleep and up around 7-7.30am. Now, at this point, she's not hungry for another bottle - even when I wait till 8am, she's not very hungry and doesn't finish the bottle. Question: do I give her breakfast here instead and give her a bottle later before she goes down for her morning nap?

her morning nap is around 9.30am for 1.5 hrs. Around 11am, she's up and I give her some solids. Then around 12, I give her another bottle but even then she's not that hungry and struggles to finish it.

Back to bed at 1pm and has 1hr nap. I'll give her another snack after this nap or if I'm out, then skip the solids. She's not hungry for another bottle until around 4.30 or even 5pm and she has another nap around 4pm in the ergo for half hour or so.. So basically she has a bottle after she wakes up from this nap whenever it may be...

And her last bottle is around6.30pm before bed and she'll finish it sometimes, other times not.

it just seems all over the place with her bottles. Can ppl suggest alternatives or ways to change is routine? TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Its milk before solids till 1yo. I always offer food 1hr after a milk feed.

Can you reduce the amount of milk at 4am? So she drinks more at 7?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Would she be happy to wait for a bottle just before her nap? Milk should always be offered first in the first as it's still the most important part their diet.

And also DS is almost 6 months and the only 'routine' we have is book, bath, bottle and bed. Otherwise everything else is all over the place too. He wakes at different times of the night for a feed so his wake up time in the morning depends on his feed at night, etc. I'm not going to bother trying to set a routine until his mornings are more similar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess that's why I posted as I know milk comes first but she doesn't seem very interested. Currently I offer her 5 bottles x 180ml.. Is it possible to increase her day feeds to say 240ml and cut one feed out? Not sure why the guidelines are in terms of how much she should be drinking. I'll try decreasing her 4am feed but I think she's really hungry then coz its the only time she drinks it all really quickly without a fuss...

Because I have a 6yo who has school and other activities, I prefer my DD2 to e in some sort of routine as it makes it easier for both her and me otherwise she gets dragged around wherever her older sister goes and doesn't end up having proper naps.

Hmmm.. Do I drop the solids then?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Why don't you do baby led weaning with your bub as you eat?

Ie

Bub wakes 7am - offer milk
    When your other child has brekky offer bub toast with avo or scrambled eggs or pancakes. Let bub feed themselves.

Do you feed to sleep? If so offer bub milk before a nap. If not then bub naps and milk upon waking. Then lunch when you eat.

Then nap.

Wake and milk. Then dinner with you. milk then bed.

Keep your bottles as its more important than solids. Just offer bub food when you eat problem solved.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

AshleeClaire07  (29-03-2013)