+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not into controlled crying or letting a baby cry to sleep on their own, but do think it's ok to allow a small amount of crying while you are there to comfort. Here's my tips and what worked for me.

Is there room in your sons room for a bed? My nursery has the cot but also spare bed in it, and I am able to lie in the spare bed and comfort my child through the bars if needed. So with my daughter, if she woke through the night and I knew she didn't need a feed, I would just lie in the bed beside her and shoosh, pat until she went back to sleep. Yes she still cried a little, but she knew I was there to comfort her and wasn't being ignored, and even though I was "awake" being able to lie down while I comforted her and patted her back to sleep meant I didn't get exhausted, and if we both fell asleep so be it, if she fell asleep before me I'd go back to my own bed. It didn't take long before she just stopped waking up at all except for a feed.

Also ditch the dummy completely day and night, it will suck even more for a few days, but be worth it once it's gone. Dummies are great for some babies and even toddlers, but not those who are waking 8 times a night looking for it. It would be better off gone. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    CC saved my sanity and helped my DD sleep restfully and wake happy. It took me two nights of on and off crying when she was 9 months and neither of us have looked back. Every mother and child is different and what worked for me may not work for you but it is worth the try. My DD is now 4 years old and has not had any issues with going to bed or with sleeping through since I did CC.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My brother did CC with his little boy. It took 3 nights I think, but seems to have worked a treat for him. Like another poster said, I think you need to be really committed so that you don't subject bub to a few nights of crying for nothing.

As for me, I'm anti CC. And I have to be honest - my reasons are all completely emotional. Logically, I don't believe it does any long term damage, but I'm just too soft to do it. So when I see other parents having success with that method, there's a little part of me that questions my decision to cosleep and that makes me a bit uncomfortable. There are lots of people in that boat but they won't all admit it, so don't let people sway you if you decide CC is the way for you. Sometimes the criticism you get from others is more about them than you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cdro For This Useful Post:

strawberry swing  (28-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I personally think it's damaging to let a baby cry. It's their only way of communicating with us, and they cry for a reason. If they are to be left to just cry, they're going to think they don't have someone to rely on and be there for them. It's also very distressing, not just for the baby but mother/father. Like missie_mack said, there's a reason why we get emotional when our babies cry.

I know I don't like to cry in bed alone, why would a little baby? Especially at that age.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to callmedragon22 For This Useful Post:

mum2twinboys  (27-03-2013),Sarelou  (28-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Cry ot out and control crying are completely different, you don't let babies cry it out when you do control crying.

It is all well to say things like "in my opinion" "or personally I believe", but at the end of the day, that doesn't cut it for me, be passionate sure, but post up some evidence about how damaging control crying is, you can't expect people to decide its damaging just because someone on the Internet said so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

babyla  (27-03-2013),Mulva  (27-03-2013),mummyChubbles  (27-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Lol bet me to it!!
    I was just about to link this - very reassuring research and article.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

beebs  (27-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

beebs  (27-03-2013),Mulva  (27-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Something which worked for us at around your DS age was the dummy thing they attach to their pjs, he very quickly taught himself, when he woke, to find it and re-plug in the dummy. Life saver for us!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Something which worked for us at around your DS age was the dummy thing they attach to their pjs, he very quickly taught himself, when he woke, to find it and re-plug in the dummy. Life saver for us!
    Yep this was our life saver. We just pinned it half way down his pjs