+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default High NT results, fluid around baby, CVS -help!

Hi,

i am hoping someone might be able to help me, or be able to shed some light.

I am currently 13w2days with my second. My first I lost in nov 2012 at 12 weeks exactly, missed miscarriage, ended up having a D&C - unknown as to cause of loss.

On Friday (just gone) I went for my 12 week NT scan. My partner and I just thought it was another chance to see our bubs. After seeing a hb of 177bpm, and the little one toggling around we left ecstatic! It was at this scan last time we found out bubs had passed.

Anyway shortly after I got a call from my OB saying I needed to go to Melb immediately to have a Tertiary Scan as the baby appeared very unwell. She stated the NT was 4.2mm (supposedly 4 x what it should be) and there was fluid around the baby. I was very shocked as I am 24 and my partner is 26, both good health. Needless to say we were very niave!

i had the second scan done yesterday at a hospital, followed by a recommended CVS (ouch!). I was give either to option of Terminating or pretty much waiting until the baby dies. It was horrible. The scans showed a perfect heart, lungs, limbs etc. although still the high NT reading, fluid around the baby and fluid on the lungs and stomach.

I feel so helpless. The lady pretty much told me Termination was the better option. I don't know what to do. I am waiting on the FISH results from the CVS, and just keeping my fingers crossed. Bubs was so active yesterday, even a suprise to the Dr, and I just can't imagine how sick he/she actually is.

Has anybody been through this or something similar?? Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry about the Novel - I am just so distraught and worried ='( praying my little one is strong and survives despite the odds!

BoyCrazy is offline <MY SWEET BABY GIRL HARPER 9 MONTHS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I couldnt read and not reply, so many hugs, how devestating for you

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BoyCrazy For This Useful Post:

Stefmc23  (26-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The fluid is called hydrops fetalis. There are big list of things that can cause this. Sometimes the cause is unknown and sometimes it resolves on its own.
    My baby had this from being anemic. And it can be treated.
    You need to go to your nearest fetal medicine clinic and get help there. Do not listen to Drs telling you to terminate. You need to find out what's causing it and try to do it fast.
    If you want any support groups PM me, the ladies in the hydrops group are amazing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jodes86 For This Useful Post:

Stefmc23  (26-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm so sorry you're going through this, Stef. My situation is a bit different, although I have also had a high risk NT scan following a previous miscarriage, so while I can't pretend to understand your feelings at this stage, I do know how terrifying a bad NT result can be.

Did they tell you what the reason was for the baby's poor prognosis?

The NT reading is high at 4.2mm, but not 4 times where it should be. Usually a reading of just over 2mm is normal, and often higher - depending on other factors.

I'm so sorry that you've been given these results, and particularly when you're still waiting on the FISH results too - which can give much greater accuracy than the ultrasound. When do you get the results?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Stefmc23  (26-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all, it's just so heart breaking knowing bubs heart can stop at any second. They said they would call within 24 hrs (was completed at 4pm yesterday). So I am just keeping my fingers crossed. However, I've been advised that if the results come up neg - then we have no reasoning for the poor health of bubs.. The only thing they can think of is chromosomal, maybe why bubs passed so late last time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    And

Thanks
    Reviews
    So sorry to read your story. I know what you are going through having been there myself last year with 8mm NT. Unfortunately my story did not end well - FISH came back clear but full results showed a rare chromosomal issue. I read many many stories though where ppl with high nT readings went on to get clear results all the way through and had healthy babies in the end. I wouldn't terminate based on NT scan results. Although the waiting is agony you need to get as much info as you can before you make any decisions. If the cvs results are clear you will probably be offered some extra more in-depth scans (foetal heart) in the next few weeks. it all turns out ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just got the FISK results back - all normal!? Any ideas??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefmc23 View Post
    I just got the FISK results back - all normal!? Any ideas??
    If you have facebook, join this group. There are over 500 women who have all had babies with hydrops and they might be able to help you figure out what is going on with your bub. The NT measurement will not be accurate if there is fluid around the baby, so since the FISH came back clear it sounds like baby could have s a virus or infection. Ask your Dr to test for CMV and Parvo.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hydropsfetalissupportgroup/

Last edited by Jodes86; 26-03-2013 at 19:05.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jodes86 For This Useful Post:

bokkie_wotwot  (28-03-2013)