+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Infants and general anesthetic

Just after others experiences with young babies,between 6 and 12 months and how they coped with general anesthetic? How did "you" cope?
    My bub will most likely have to have a minor surgery sometime this year and I'm not sure what to expect. The thought of handing her over for this makes me want to cry,she's so little..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds had surgery at the age of 8 weeks and again at 9 months for groin hernia then another testicle related surgery.
    All went well. He was upset and sleepy once he woke, but lots of cuddles and being close to me helped.
    I coped better the first time, as I was going through the 'baby blues' stage and still not quite 'attached' to my baby, sounds sad doesn't it?
    Second time was harder, but surgery was really quick.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 25-03-2013 at 21:47.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

Rockett  (26-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ds1 went under general at 6 months to get a small lump removed from his neck. It was one of the worst days in my life because I was so anxious/nervous/scared/upset etc but he handled it really well.

He was hysterical when he woke up because he was starving from fasting but as soon as he had his bottle he was perfectly fine. It was actually like he hadn't just had an operation at all!

He recovered no probs and 4yrs on, all you can see is a very small scar on his neck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Boys Blue For This Useful Post:

Rockett  (26-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I forgot to say, as for coping, dh was my rock and was able to mostly keep me from turning into an hysterical mess. I also kept telling myself over and over that it is for the best and we are doing it because we love him.

Best of luck with your bubba's surgery!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Boys Blue For This Useful Post:

Rockett  (26-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies
    My bub is having a lump removed too...I forgot about the fasting part...how long do they need to fast for? She's such a booby monster,I don't know how she'll cope.....really wish this was all over and done with!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were able to give ds his last bottle but it had to be finished by 6am. I can't actually remember what time his op was but I do remember him being starving when he came to.

Big hugs, I know exactly how you must be feeling xx

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Boys Blue For This Useful Post:

Rockett  (31-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My bub has faced open heart surgery at 4 weeks old and will have more in the future. Usually the fasting is about from 6 hours before. Handing your little one over for surgery is awful. I won't lie. We spoke to the anaethetist before and she was amazing which was comforting. I always ask lots of questions and write it down if I need to so I feel informed and feel like I have more control. I even repeat myself and ask them to explain things thoroughly because I do think they forget sometimes that we don't always understand. Ask the doctors what they expect etc. Have a lot of faith in the team, the doctors and anaethetists who work with children are amazing and take care of the parents too, they know its hard on them. Our little one was heavily sedated due to the type of surgery. But she still bounced back really well even being the teeny 2.7kgs she was at the time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Rockett  (31-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds2 had heart surgery at 5 months he was under for 9 hrs all up but also sedated for 2 days so can't really say how he came out. But everything went fine and he is now a happy nearly 5 year old. It was extremely hard to hand him over and the wait was torture but well worth it for his health.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to our4boys For This Useful Post:

Rockett  (31-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and the feeding thing... Bub will get grumpy so do anything you can do to distract them is good. If they take a dummy use it with lots of cuddles and toys for distraction.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Rockett  (31-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Oh and the feeding thing... Bub will get grumpy so do anything you can do to distract them is good. If they take a dummy use it with lots of cuddles and toys for distraction.
    Yes my son had another lot of surgery at 16months and woke up screaming uncontrollably I could hear him from the waiting room screaming as he woke up was heart breaking but mummy cuddles and his dummy calmed him down pretty fast. And then he ate like crazy was starving followed by a big vomit.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to our4boys For This Useful Post:

Rockett  (31-03-2013)