+ Reply to Thread
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Question for mums with older children who co-slept

I would love all your advice and experience regarding co-sleeping pls!

My ds is almost 5mths old and sleep in his cot pushed up against our bed. He is rocked/held to sleep and then transferred and will sleep quite well without us in the room for day naps and also for the begining of his night sleep.

During the night he seems to get wrestless and its a struggle from about 1am - 5am at which point I normally let him him in our bed and we sleep for a good 3hrs or so together.

So I am wondering if I should let him cosleep with us once he wakes at around 1am?

Long term how did you find it? Was it hard to transition them back to their own sleeping area/room? How old were they when they went into their own room and was it a challenge?

I guess the concept of AP seems logical to me, give them as much as contact as they desire and in time they will find independence through comfort and confidence. But I don't want to just make bad habits that will make it hard for him to sleep?

I also have another bub due in November so will have DS 1yr and a NB. We can fit two cots in our rooms and was planning on having baby in our room with us until at least 12mths-18mths?

Any tips, suggestions, insights??

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am kinda thinking that since the kids will be similar age (if all goes well) they could both go into their own room together? (they will share a room)

Yep I find when he with me he just sleeps naturally, when he not with me its much harder.

And I know I don't liek sleeping without DH so I assume its the same sort of comfort?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We co slept from about 3 months to 16 months when dd1 felt ready for Her own bed then we we to a toddler bed in her own room with a single mattress next to it . That way we could still cuddle her etc if she needed it and I would just sleep in there some nights if she was waking up alot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD is six and has been in and out of my bed her whole life. She always goes to sleep in her own bed, but nine nights out of ten comes in with me at some point during the night.

A couple of times I have made a conscious effort to get her to stay in her own bed all night when I've needed her to (when I had a boyfriend a few years ago and when I've been unwell and had trouble sleeping with her there) and it was never difficult to do - usually a reward chart or a simple "no" and taking her back worked fine.

These days I'm happy for her to come in and don't see the point in waking myself up to take her back. I'm happy for her to do it until she doesn't want to any more, quite frankly if she's still sleeping in my bed when she's 16 I'll be grateful she's not sharing a bed with someone else!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (25-03-2013),MissMuppet  (25-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great point Shelle!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS1 co slept on and off until he was 14 months and I night weaned and got him to stay in his cot all night.
    At 18 months we got him a toddler bed and he started walking to our room in the middle of the night. We decided to go with it and now we have 10 week old DS2 in a cot next to me and DS1 (almost 2!) climbs in whenever he feels like it.
    When DS2 is around 18 months and hopefully night weaned we'll probably put another single bed in DS1's room and get them to share while they're young.
    I surprisingly enjoy having DS1 in bed with us as I get to give him the cuddles I didn't have time for during the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ah, I wish bed sharing had worked for us. My DS woke up every half hour or so after midnight when we co-slept. I am not sure why, he seemed to think he needed to feed every half hour. I like the fact that I am sleeping more but I miss those really organic snuggly wake ups with my DS and DP all together.