+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I will try to add my perspective when I have a little more time and am not so tired.

Not sure if this would be any help or not BHCommunity but the attached link is to a sticky thread we have "Hints-Tips-Advice and Suggestions for new IVF'rs"

http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...for-new-IVF-rs

This has alot of personal experience posts.

Apologies if it's not the sort of information you are looking for or that you already knew about the thread

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hoping4asticky1 For This Useful Post:

BH-community  (27-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hoping4asticky1 View Post
    I will try to add my perspective when I have a little more time and am not so tired.

Not sure if this would be any help or not BHCommunity but the attached link is to a sticky thread we have "Hints-Tips-Advice and Suggestions for new IVF'rs"

http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...for-new-IVF-rs

This has alot of personal experience posts.

Apologies if it's not the sort of information you are looking for or that you already knew about the thread
    Thanks heaps. I think we will start with the stickies - that one is a great thread - make sure they're all up to date, and maybe do the guide later. Any suggestions on which to do first?

rainbow road is online now look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My reason for doing IVF is very different to most people's. We did it as a same sex couple using donor sperm. It was hard because you don't really fit in anywhere. You don't fit in with the healthy straight people ttc at home, or with people doing IVF for infertility, yet you go through the same emotions to a degree, as both do.

My advice is more practical I guess.

When looking for a clinic, don't be afraid to shop around. If you don't feel the communication is sufficient, ask for more. Likewise, with treatment, your FS will have a plan for you, but if you're uncomfortable with something, make it known. You're the person paying the money.

You may have to go through a counselling session. It is not a test to see if you'll be good parents! It is just to make sure you understand the potential outcomes of IVF. Especially with donor sperm/eggs.

Work out if you want to tell people you're doing IVF or not. It's your business only. I never told my bosses, but I did tell a few close family members and their support was fantastic.

Consider joining an online support group. I did and it was so helpful for asking questions and getting support.

Don't be afraid to go to your FS with ideas or recommendations from others.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

BH-community  (27-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    nikki61087 what a sense of humour you have. LOL doesn't do it justice. Rolling around on the ground in hysterics might more describe it.

I only posted this as somebody asked how the option presented itself. To be honest I am healthier and happier now after my surgery than I have been for years so I am enjoying eating like I have never tasted food before, and doing things I could only have thought I wish I could do that. Things like Horseriding, ice skating and now I can even hoover the house. Life is great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by T1gger View Post
    Someone was asking for IVF info

I thought I would write the following but now cant find who it was
    Was me I've merged the threads so it's all together now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerShine View Post
    As for me personally, what made we think about IVF? Basically I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility, none of the above worked and I was told that it would be impossible to adopt in this country. IVF was my only way of having a baby.
    I also have unexplained infertility but then they found a fibroid that was not cancer and not normal. So I think we're now back to the original dagnosis unexplained.

Did you get any options of what type of IVF to have? Did they tell you about GIFT and anything about the reason for going for one option over the other? My clinics standard practice for Unexplained is Clomid, then Clomid IUI, then GIFT but I dont really even know what GIFT is and which is the best option for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    T1gger after about 3 years I swaped clinics and they found via a routine tracking cycle that I don't produce progesterone - something the previously clinic never picked up. They upped my progesterone support to Crinone which got that under control.

On IVF cycles I would get a good number of eggs, good fertilisation rates however most of the embryo's arrested on day 4. I was advised to do CGH testing to look for chromosomal abnormalties. I had a major egg quality issue.

I found this on the internet re Gift hope it helps
    The main difference from IVF is that with GIFT the gametes (eggs and sperm) are immediately transferred to the woman's fallopian tubes, so fertilisation occurs inside, not outside, the woman's body. The embryo can begin its earliest development in natural surroundings rather than in an artificial environment.

I think once you do an IVF cycle it will give more clues as to what is going on. Good luck with everything

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BHCommunity View Post
    Was me I've merged the threads so it's all together now.

Thanks. I do think that it might help to have an explanation topic with each of the following threads - the info shouldn't be hard to find from a factual point of view:

What is IVF, what does it involve, who does it suit and why does it suit certain people/diagnoses? what options are there eg 2 day 5 day implant, 1 or 2 embryos/eggs. It would be good to know the plus and minus of each option so you can get straight in your mind what you want before you see FS

What is GIFT, what does it involve, who does it suit and why does it suit certain people/diagnoses?

What is IUI, what does it involve, who does it suit and why does it suit certain people/diagnoses?

What Fertility Drugs are available on Medicare, including approximate costing - or perhaps with a link to a site that sponsors this link and answers the questions from Bub hubbers on this thread.

What Medical drugs are available outside of medicare including approximate costing? also with a link to a site that sponsors this link and answers the questions from Bub hubbers on this thread.

What alternative medicines / techniques / old wifes tales / FS tips are available and from who - perhaps get a link to a site that sells each medication so that people can choose whether to buy them, and where to ask all relevant questions about the medications. There is so many questions that people ask about particular

Perhaps when these threads get to more than a few pages start them again so that newbies can use them to ask questions.

Perhaps ask someone who has been through a couple of attempts of which ever method to monitor each to answer questions from the newbies.

I really think you are trying to do something wonderful and hope that you wont let a couple of negative comments put you off. I know first hand that information from people who are not on the IVF train can still be very helpful. Most of my support has been from those not on the train although it is very nice to know that the majority of people here are on the same journey all striving for the same destination.

I have been fed information from a friend who is not on the fertility circuit about success stories and those cheer me on with my journey

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to say that I don't think there have been any "negative" comments, people with long term experience are just being honest so that any guide that is written is correct and useful to the user. IVF is a huge field and extremely involved and individualised. Even when you say "what options are there eg 2 day 5 day implant, 1 or 2 embryos/eggs. It would be good to know the plus and minus of each option so you can get straight in your mind what you want before you see FS." IVF doesn't really work like this. I don't think it would be good practice to read a guide and say to a FS I want a 2 day transfer of 2 embryo's before undergoing any cycles of IVF because I read this the best way. Treatment is dependent on the individual's problem and a lot of the time you don't know what will work best until you have undergone a couple of IVF cycles. It's good to list the options and what is involved but the success rates etc are individualised and no one way suits everyone. I would advise against seeing a FS with preconceived ideas before having any treatment. Also my experience with IVF has been the opposite (again showing how individualised it is) I have found that people that have never experienced infertility issues or IVF do not understand the process or pain and often say comments that are actually quite hurtful (even though they don't realise it). Whilst people on the IVF bubhub site have been fantastic because they "get it". Actually a guide for family and friends would be fantastic! I think all anyone is saying is just be careful if you are writing a guide because IVF is complex and individualised and you do need a wealth of knowledge and understanding to write a really good helpful guide.
    Last edited by SummerShine; 03-04-2013 at 12:46.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SummerShine For This Useful Post:

Pilbara  (04-04-2013)