+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Perth hubbers.. again!

Hi

I posted this a few weeks ago in relation to moving to Perth.. we're about 70% sure that we'll be moving over from Sydney and I'm looking for some more guidance in terms of where to live..

I like the look of the area around Hilarys, mostly coz it has the Westfields there and I currently live nearby to 2 westfields and I'm so used to just wandering around the shopping centre for walks with the kids, especially on rainy days! (great reason for wanting to move there, hey?!?!? lol)

But anyways thats one area that we like the look of..

My next step is to ask what the process is to enrol my 3 year old into 'pre kindy" (is that what it's called???) for next year.

I'm looking for a good catholic school for primary school. I don't know whether its better to choose a school based on that it has that pre-kindy year attached to the school, or to enrol him somewhere separate to the primary school. It does have to be catholic school, but it also has to be a decent one with good school spirit, a happy, encouraging environment and so forth..
    Does anyone have any opinions on the best way to approach this?? And any recommendations of good catholic schools in that vicinity.. doesnt have to be in Hilarys but say close to..

Also, when do I have to enrol my kid by? Should I be doing this asap?

Any tips on this would be most appreciated.. including if there are any other really cool shopping centres (lol) NOR with nice schools and a gym (with creche) nearby.. hahaha I dont ask for much do I! lol

If anyone has any links or additional info to help me, pls forward it onto me!

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I live NOR but my kids attend state schools so am no help on the schools front. 3 year old kindy or preschool isn't part of the schools here as far as I am aware - it's usually 4 year old kindy. 3 year old preschool - you can enrol any time really as you'll need to get them on a wait list. Sorry can't help with 4 year old as I don't do Catholic schools so no idea what process is there. The school year here is different - they enrol up to end June so if turning 4 by end of June you can enrol your 3 year old in 4 year old kindy (if you want to).

Regarding Westfield - I was a bit shocked by them tbh when we first moved to Perth - they're nothing like Westfields in Victoria. No department stores like Myer or DJs, and not upmarket at all which was how it was in Melbourne. Just check them online before deciding you'd want to live near one. The one at Whitfords is a bit daggy IMHO (no offense - just not Chadstone, or Bondi, or whatever you might be used to).

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you want to be near a nice big shopping centre then karrinyup is the way to go.

I'm not sure about the catholic schools around Hilary's. sacred heart is one but think it's just a high school .

You have to apply years in advance for catholic schools for 3 or 4 yo Kindy. I applied for DS last year for next year Kindy and he's been knocked back. :-/ so looks like for now he will be going to state school which is fine as it's a really good one
    Last edited by MummaJez; 25-03-2013 at 10:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I lived in the area for a few years. Nice area. There are 2 catholic primary schools in the parish( whitfords parish). Whitfords catholic ( next to church in Craigie) and Padbury Catholic. Also not to far away is St Simon Peter. When does your child turn3? If before June 30 this year then they would go into kindy next year. My kids current catholic primary school is taking enrolments now for kindy next year - my youngest in kindy this year ( made cut off by 2 days). I don't much about the kindy for 3 year olds as our school doesn't offer it yet ( was on waiting list for public one but never got in).There are programs at some schools but you would have to ask school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrie77 View Post
    I lived in the area for a few years. Nice area. There are 2 catholic primary schools in the parish( whitfords parish). Whitfords catholic ( next to church in Craigie) and Padbury Catholic. Also not to far away is St Simon Peter. When does your child turn3? If before June 30 this year then they would go into kindy next year. My kids current catholic primary school is taking enrolments now for kindy next year - my youngest in kindy this year ( made cut off by 2 days). I don't much about the kindy for 3 year olds as our school doesn't offer it yet ( was on waiting list for public one but never got in).There are programs at some schools but you would have to ask school.
    My DS1 turns 3 this january, so 4 next january.

Thanks for the info, i will suss it out.

Regarding Westfield - I was a bit shocked by them tbh when we first moved to Perth - they're nothing like Westfields in Victoria. No department stores like Myer or DJs, and not upmarket at all which was how it was in Melbourne. Just check them online before deciding you'd want to live near one. The one at Whitfords is a bit daggy IMHO (no offense - just not Chadstone, or Bondi, or whatever you might be used to).
    That suks. I love spending time just browsing and window shopping!

If you want to be near a nice big shopping centre then karrinyup is the way to go.

I'm not sure about the catholic schools around Hilary's. sacred heart is one but think it's just a high school .

You have to apply years in advance for catholic schools for 3 or 4 yo Kindy. I applied for DS last year for next year Kindy and he's been knocked back. :-/ so looks like for now he will be going to state school which is fine as it's a really good one

Karrinyup. Ok will suss it out.

I'll have to start calling schools then and sussing out the kindy issue. He currently goes to the most awesome christian preschool here, its not bible-bashing style, but either way i just want him to have as nice a kindy as what he has here in Sydney.

Thanks for all the replies ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I live near the beach and Karrinyup is close to me. The shopping centre is pretty good. There's a couple of good Catholic schools in that area too - and one very good small one in North Beach (which is very close to Karrinyup). The only downside is it's a very expensive area real estate wise so depends on what you're looking at spending.