+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default 5year olds birthday party -simple ideas?

So my son is turning 5 in 2 months and I will be 36 weeks pregnant on the day of his party, so I am looking for ideas on how to make his party as easy to manage as possible whilst still making it fun...

In the past, ive been a bit party crazy and we've had huge parties with upwards of 50 people attending. I know I couldnt cope with that this time, so I am after ways to make it easy yet still exciting for a kid who is used to huge parties lol.

My DH has said he will do the games (never had a party with games before) but not sure what games are best for 4-6 year olds? There will be approx 12-15 kids.

Also any ideas on easy to make, healthy party foods? DH hates cooking so I am in charge of anything food related lol.

Any ideas and input would be great, thanks!!

(Oh and the party is an at home party but we have a huge backyard so space isnt a problem)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Duck Duck Goose, musical statues

Little boys (frankfurts)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does it have to be at home? I realise that you've got the space, but it might be easier to have it at a playcentre or something. All you need to supply is often just the cake and you go there at the start of the time and leave 2 hours later. You don't need to clean up the house, set up for the party, make/heat food, etc. I would think at 36 weeks that would be a lot easier for you.

Having said that we have done our ds's birthdays at home every year so far. But, each time I then go to parties at play centres/etc I realise how easy they appear and wonder if I should have done that.

I have found that 4/5/6 year olds don't eat much at parties. Keep it super simple. Fairy bread, jelly in plastic cups (don't bother with chocolate frogs in it - they won't necessarily eat them), mini pizzas are all big hits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    We did consider a play centre but our 2.5 year old has sensory issues and doesn't cope well in that situation so we vetoed it for this year. (Which is also another reason we're having a smaller party)

I do agree it sounds much much easier though lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Games:
    Egg and spoon race
    Treasure hunt in the back yard
    Limbo
    Relay games ( divide into teams and make up running races but run backwards, jump, balloon between knees type races)
    Pin the tail on something

Food:
    Homemade sausage rolls ( use chicken mince and veggies for healthier option)
    Homemade party pies
    Meat and veggies kebab sticks
    Noodles in little boxes
    Chicken or fish strips ( crumbed)
    Mini meatballs on toothpicks
    Mini veggie spring rolls
    Mini pizzas
    Mini burgers
    Zuchini fries ( crumbed zuchini sticks)
    Veggie chips ( paper thin sliced of sweet potato , beetroot and parsnip baked)
    Fruit salad on a stick with honey yogurt
    Homemade fruit ice blocks
    Jelly cups

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My GOSH!! 12-15 kids!! And that's "simple"?!? To us that's an ENORMOUS party!!! Arrrgh! Can't help but just needed to share my horrow hahahaha. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

we went to a 3rd bday this weekend, kids were aged 1-15.

they hired a face painter which all the kids ( and some parents) loved. She wouldn't have been heaps expensive (bil is a massive tighta*s haha).

games were-
    musical chairs, pass the parcel, pin the tail on the donkey, musical statues and a piñata.
    some of the games were a bit rigged to give the little ones a chance but the bigger ones either didn't notice or helped the little ones.

if you can afford it get someone to design a buffet dessert table- look up {darling details} on fb to get what I mean.

We had a jumpy castle at dd's 1st and 2nd bdays.
    Get help where you can, I had bad morning sickness for dd's second bday so I had a lot if help and it was much less stressful then her first birthday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We had a bowling party for my sons fifth... I was pregnant and sick... He had 5 friends... They organised everything from invites to party bags. We just had to show up. They dressed up in costumes. Was $19 per kid which Isnt cheap but if it's just six kids it's nothing. 2 hrs was perfect. Parents could enjoy the cafe... Easy!