+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have flat nipples and have been using nipple shields full time since I left hospital 4 weeks ago. We are now trying to wean her off and I have found that if we

Thanks
    Reviews
    Use the shield first it draws the nipple out and then when I remove the shield she is able to latch on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had really sore nipples for a few weeks second time around, no one could work out why as dd looked well attached, no tongue tie etc..one side was so bad i had to use a pump exclusively on that side for over a week until it healed, the pain was unbearable...then i used shields for about a month , then gradually stopped using them over another few weeks. Yes it was very hard at first i admit but luckily dh was at home for 6 weeks so he could entertain ds who was 22 months old...really helped! yes ds got jealous and yes he watched a LOT of tv in the first months particularly, i did try to read, use sticker books, activity books, but he was too little to really do this stuff by himself... i bought him a LOT of little toys and seriously he has about 50 matchbox cars or more now as a new toy or car would keep him entertained for a day....i just figured that millions of first born bubs had to endure this over human history so he would survive too. Still bfing now so overall after a very rocky start it was easier ....so many days i was so close to quitting but somehow just never did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used nipple shields for a few months on one side with DS (one nipple flatter than the other). Eventually he just didn't need to use them anymore. I think as he got older and his mouth bigger attachment wasn't an issue anymore. Although the nipple shields are a pain to use and fiddly when you're out and about it's still easier than washing and sterilising bottles. Supposedly over time nipples stretch too. My midwife showed me how to use a 1ml syringe to try and pull the nipple out (it just hurt though so I didn't do it) or using a breast pump briefly before a feed may start to pull them out a bit too. I'm 3 months pregnant with #2 and I will have a 2.5yr old when this one arrives. It'd be nice not to have to use nipple shields and great if #2 can attach without them but I'm expecting to have to use them again, at least on one side. It only takes an extra few seconds to use them and maybe a minute or two to wash after a feed so I don't think having to use nipple shields will make feeding #2 and having a toddler any more difficult than for anyone else who is breastfeeding and has a toddler. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for your replies. It has definitely made me feel a bit better about it. It does generally seem that it is easier 2nd time around which gives me hope. I think this time I will be more confident and won't get so flustered. I never really knew much about babies before DD1 so found being a new mum exciting but very intimidating. Now that all that fear is gone I hope that il be able to muddle through it! I was so scared of doing something wrong or breaking her when she was born! Now I know better lol

In regards to joining ABA there are no classes near me and I emailed and left a message for the nearest group and never heard anything?! So I figured I would ask my questions on here and if I am really struggling after bub is here then il call them again.

I was also wondering how many of you let bub find the boob themselves for their first feed? I tried this with DD1 but felt I was pushed to feed her sooner than she was ready because they wanted to check her over. Should I just be more forceful about it this time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    It took DS and I almost three months to get the hang of breastfeeding but once we got past the initial latching/pain issues it was a breeze. I heard once that bottle feeding is the "easy way out" but to me that is a ridiculous statement. I think it was an absolute breeze compared to buying/preparing bottles and the associated paraphernalia.

i wish I cuod give some secrets of success but all I really did was feed him when he was hungry and ignored ignorant family members/friends and MCNs who told me how and when to feed. I followed his lead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping again :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a hospital birth with the same midwife the whole pregnancy, she waited until we were ready to check over bub, bub found her own way and fed for about 45 mins. She brought us toast and tea and tidied up. There's no rush to check bub, push for it if you must! Besides being a first time mum and getting through the initial engorgement, and both of us learning how to breastfeed we had no troubles at all. I've never really had a need for any creams or anything except the first week or so when my nipples were getting used to it. I don't have flat or inverted nipples but have a friend who does, also had both pierced previously, she used shields no problem and then weaned off them. Best of luck, i think it will be easier for you second time around and it sounds like you are determined which makes such a difference for a lot of problems too