+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Is it ever easy?

I breastfed my DD1 for 6 weeks and would really like to feed longer this time if I can. I struggled with grazing and getting her to latch and I have flat nipples :-( I have been told that none of these things should effect my ability to breastfeed. I also had fantastic supply so that was never a problem and with nipple shields she fed easily.

So I have been reading and researching a lot and hanging around this section reading posts and trying to arm myself with more info. I feel like its just the hardest thing and everyone struggles. As much as I want to do it I just am so scared that its not going to work again. I would love to feed without nipple shields this time but I just don't know if that's possible. I read about horrid pain and feeding every hour and weeks on end of trying to get it right. I just don't think i can cope with all of that :-( i have a nearly 3 yr old this time so i cant feed every hour and spend hours trying to get it right. I totally respect and understand that mum and bub learn together and I am defiantly committed to trying again. I think I'm just feeling a bit disheartened.

So i guess I am just after so positive stories? Has it been easy for you? Anyone with inverted or flat nipples breastfed successfully? In need of some hope and Inspiration!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had inverted nipples. With DD1 breastfeeding was hell for at least 8 weeks. I had amazing supply, but awful cracks which didn't get a chance to heal as I had a big baby with a big appetite. I took quite a big of panadol and cried through most feeds. I am a determined stubborn person, and glad for it. After that 8 weeks it was easy, and I fed her over a year.
    DD2, no problem at all. I now have big nipples, never a crack with her, and still breastfeeding her and she is 1. I did nothing different second time, it was just easy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Feeding my second child was definitely easier than feeding my first. It did have challenges - he was a very frequent feeder but the pain was a lot less. My advice to you would be to have strategies in place - special toys for your DD1 to play with while you breastfeed, accept any and all offers of help and be aware that you do feel torn, or that the older child isn't getting all the attention and time from you that they did when it was just them - this is where husbands, grandparents, friends etc.. are a godsend.
    I think joining the ABA prior to the birth really helps too.
    Oh and while I personally don't have flat or inverted nipples, a close friend of mine does and she breastfed with shields for over a year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    For me the early days were HEAPS easier second time around. I breasted DD for 15 months and it was honestly easy the whole time, never had an issue! I breastfed my first for over 3 years, but the first 8-10 weeks were a real struggle.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    After some very early attachment issues with DS, I have had extremely easy time breastfeeding both of my babies. Both have had good gains, no supply issues, no mastitis, both slept well at night. Breastfeeding was simple, portable, mess free, cheap and a cure all.
    I know personally I don't talk much about how easy I found it, because I guess I think it sounds like bragging, and I also don't want to give people the impression that its always easy, because i know for many it's not. But for me, it's been a breeze

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (24-03-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    It was easier the second time around although it was still harder. DS was 3.5 when DD was born. I kept him in full time child care for the first month just to give me time to focus on bf'ing.

After this I used to take them both for a walk in the morning. That way we've all at least got out for some exercise. If he did not much else for the day then I didn't beat myself up too much.

I also used to make lunches and little activities for him the day before (eg sticker books, activity books etc). ABC2 was my extra pair of hands.

Whilst it was really hard at first it was worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had some minor attachment issues with DS. For the first couple of weeks I had to hold my boob like it was a burger going into his mouth until he drained my boob for a bit but really I found it incredibly easy. I avoided cracked nipples by always having nipple cream on them and breathed through the attachment pain until my nipples hardened up. As someone who wasn't even comfortable with the idea of breastfeeding, I was really surprised by the whole experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't have flat or inverted nipples, but my first week was hell. I was recovering from an emergency c-section so my tummy was in pain, but then on top of that developed badly cracked nipples due to poor attachment. I expressed every single feed for about 5-6 days which was tough (that alone made me persevere with breastfeeding as i was sick of sterilising bottles!). Luckily my hubby was around to bottle feed bub while I expressed. But after that bad week, although she has a fussy feed every now and then, I feel like we have a great feeding relationship going now that she's had 4 weeks to get used to it and learn what she's doing.

So hang in there, I hope these positive stories will inspire you and give you hope that breastfeeding can be easy :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know if I found it "easy" but if definitely wasn't painful for me with either of my children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I definitely found it easier second time. I used a nipple shield for 3 months with ds1 then gave up. Ds2 had no problems and bf him til 10 months.