+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Did you get your fitness back when you quit smoking?

Hi all,

Yet again I want to quit smoking. I would love to hear any comments from people who successfully quit and managed to stop feeling breathless and wheezy when exercising (more than usual!) and who were able to start a new fitness routine or something. I've read loads of motivational stories about the body cleansing, and saving money, and being happier but I want to hear from people who started to MOVE more easily once they quit.

Did this happen for anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes of course. I would never have been able to train the way I am now if I was still smoking.
    It just depends what your fitness goal is if you are serious about training and working out then quitting will make a huge difference.
    I can run longer and faster, I can lift more, I can breath much better and I have loads more energy. What happened with me is that smoking made me lazy, I would have a smoke in the morning and I would want to crawl back into bed. It just drains all your energy.
    Also I'm not coughing at the gym which was kind of embarrassing. And the wheezing has stopping. Also I find I don't get cramps as often as I used to and those stabbing pains in my chest are gone.
    Plus working out isn't a chore anymore I can see such a huge difference and I'm working towards a goal so that keeps me of the smokes.
    Being perfectly honest I love smoking, I will always love it but I was hell bent on getting a certain body and I knew I would never get there if I smoked, its just how smoking affects me.
    Quitting is such a personal journey and everyone experiences it differently.
    I have quit a million times over and I can tell you now that the only reason I am not smoking now is because of my fitness I never thought I would ever see stomach muscles again. Just getting on that treadmill and feeling the sweat down your back and feeling your heart beating without having to stop and cough up my lungs its the best feeling ever, its huge high for me, it feels so unbelievably sexy to be able to be fit like that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

Shananaaah  (24-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you Janesmum123 - this is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear! I'm printing your reply out for the fridge. I'm not working towards a particular body goal as such, but I DO want to change my habits and make exercise a regular daily event, just like brushing my teeth or getting dressed. The problem is at the moment, I walk up the street and already feel dreadful, so hearing positive stories like yours is fantastic. Thank you so much!