+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Leg Cramps :(

I'm 34 weeks and suffering from terrible leg cramps most nights. They are pretty bad to the point that my leg still feels knotted the next day.

Does anyone have any suggestions on possible ways to reduce leg cramps?

Also, I've noticed in the leg I get the cramps I've got little purple looking bruises that hurt to touch. Anyone else get these and know what they are?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It could be nothing to worry about...but I would get it seen to asap. If there are bruises, this tells me it could be blood related and (don't get alarmed) but could be related to circulation or clotting of some sort. Either way they may give you ideas to help this and avoid pain. It could be something as easy as elevating your legs or they may pick up something else.

Try and see someone today- try GP access. How long have you had this for?

I did know someone through a friend whose leg got lumpy, purple bruises, but not sure what that was - she was fine to carry til term, but was very uncomfortable and it helped if she kept her feet up. It went away after the pregnancy and she had had it in previous pregnancies.

It sounds blood circulation related of some sort which is important in pregnancy. All the best and let us know how you get on.
    Last edited by Little Ted; 24-03-2013 at 10:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Leg cramps are common in pregnancy. The bruise doesn't sound good though. I would go and talk to your mw/gp/ob about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Cramps are common yes. I get them quite bad occasionally to the point that my calves will hurt for days afterwards. I take one extra strength magnesium tablet from time to time now and it keeps them away.

However, being accompanied by bruising is certainly a worry please do get it checked out! If its blood clots it is very serious. I dont want to alarm you in case its nothing but DH's family friends daughter died 2-3 days after giving birth from a clot in her leg which dislodged and killed her.. Get it checked and find out for sure what is wrong! It could be nothing at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Legs cramps are normal but as the PP have mentioned the bruising is not. Please seek medical advice immediately x goodluck and let us know how you go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks girls. I'm waiting at emergency now. Nurse thinks they look innocent but will have doctor look at them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hopefully it will be nothing. Glad you are getting it checked. Just make sure you let them know all of your symptoms. Is the pain throughout the leg or just isolated around the bruises, when you get the pains, how long they have lasted for, etc.
    I know I always forget to mention something when seeking help. I've now started to write things down! Oh for a memory.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They said its varicose veins. If it was a clot then my leg would be badly swollen and red. I'll just watch it and show my midwife on Thursday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    Hopefully it will be nothing. Glad you are getting it checked. Just make sure you let them know all of your symptoms. Is the pain throughout the leg or just isolated around the bruises, when you get the pains, how long they have lasted for, etc.
    I know I always forget to mention something when seeking help. I've now started to write things down! Oh for a memory.
    Pain is more in my calf which I believe is from the leg cramps. The bruises are only tender to touch and the pain is gone as soon as I release pressure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This probably sounds stupid and isnt easy to put into practice but works a treat.. my yoga instructor (also a midwife) told us to stay calm and breathe through leg and foot cramps, that tensing up is what causes them to last longer and hurt the day after. I try to lay very still and take steady deep breathes and they go away much quicker than my old grab them ans scream method lol