+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    *long-ish post*
    OP, I totally understand ur heartache n frustration. Until one week ago, I believed that my father (whom I envisioned would have been banging down the door to see DD) n his partner (my mother passed away in 2000) have demonstrated 'polite interest' while I was pregnant, n since DD was born.

I lived with my father n his partner for a few yrs, and while I believe Partner is the polar opposite of my mother (those issues are a whole other kettle of fish), as an adult, I felt I had no true right to voice my feelings towards her - overall, Dad appeared happy, and was moving on. During that time, I remember her saying she'd done her parenting time, and didn't believe in being the permanent babysitter to her grand kids. Fine. But my family is very close, which included constant n emotionally intimate contact.

Fast forward 7 or so yrs. So, as I mentioned, I received what I called 'polite interest' from Dad n Partner. Which broke my heart. Dropping in on their way to Bunnings (20mins). One babysitting night (4?hrs), and the 'jokes' started before I even left the house about crying babies left to cry, n how many cigarettes they had brought to get thru the evening.

Anyhoo. Last week after a major family event, I was able to tell Dad how I felt, n he does want to be the involved GParent, however his partner truly is the indifferent one. So. Now we're working on it.

I disagree that 'our generation' just expects our parents are automatic babysitters. The culture in my family was that of all the generations looking after each other. Now, how it is in other families, I cannot answer, but I resent that statement.

Yes. Some parents are not cut of the same cloth as others - we can forget that each parent is ultimately an individual, with differing personalities, likes n dislikes, n their own expectations of their 'roles' as GParent. Even still, it still hurts when we realise that our parents may have a limited interest in our amazing little creations - their own flesh n blood.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    See I didn't read the OP as being annoyed that her parents don't want to babysit - I read it as the OP's pain that her parents don't take an interest in the children, just as they didn't take an interest in their own children. I think there's a big difference.
    I agree. When you're surrounded by people who take pleasure in being with their grandchildren and for whom babysitting is an opportunity to spend time with them, it must hurt that the OP's parents view it as an unwelcome chore.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Californication  (26-03-2013),delirium  (26-03-2013),mushiedaina  (26-03-2013)