+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    428
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked
    132
    Reviews
    0
    I know everyone else has said your little girl needs some extra attention but when I read that she kicked you leaving the party I just thought I'd share with you what I probably would have done. I would have told her as calmly and sternly as possible that if her behaviour does not improve I would be sending her straight to her room once you get home and once she'd calmed down (at home) she would be doing some cleaning work to give her time to think about how poorly she is treating you and others around her. Talk on the way home would focus on yours and society's expectations of behaviour and how she is letting herself down by the way she's acting. This has generally worked with mine in the past as they hate my disapproval and also hate whatever cleaning job I give them when we get home. If they've been awful to a sibling I make them do something kind for the person they've mistreated. I think she's definitely old enough to get that you don't kick anyone, especially someone who loves you so much. I would also tell her how it made you feel to be treated so badly and that as her mother it's your job to teach her right from wrong and part of her life as a child needs to be spent listening to her mother so she can be the greatest little girl possible. Give her loads of encouragement and tell her she can do it! Um on phone so sorry if this reads a bit disjointed but I had to reply! Good luck.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,478
    Thanks
    179
    Thanked
    784
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you count doing homework together and story time as 1 on1? Because after sports, homework, parties there is just hardly any time left. DH works 12 hour shifts so its just so hard!

    I only let her stay up on the weekends (last night we watched hop) as during the week she is tired and she will wake up cranky if she hasn't had enough sleep.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,478
    Thanks
    179
    Thanked
    784
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarabelle View Post
    I know everyone else has said your little girl needs some extra attention but when I read that she kicked you leaving the party I just thought I'd share with you what I probably would have done. I would have told her as calmly and sternly as possible that if her behaviour does not improve I would be sending her straight to her room once you get home and once she'd calmed down (at home) she would be doing some cleaning work to give her time to think about how poorly she is treating you and others around her. Talk on the way home would focus on yours and society's expectations of behaviour and how she is letting herself down by the way she's acting. This has generally worked with mine in the past as they hate my disapproval and also hate whatever cleaning job I give them when we get home. If they've been awful to a sibling I make them do something kind for the person they've mistreated. I think she's definitely old enough to get that you don't kick anyone, especially someone who loves you so much. I would also tell her how it made you feel to be treated so badly and that as her mother it's your job to teach her right from wrong and part of her life as a child needs to be spent listening to her mother so she can be the greatest little girl possible. Give her loads of encouragement and tell her she can do it! Um on phone so sorry if this reads a bit disjointed but I had to reply! Good luck.
    Thanks. i think part of the problem is also that I don't follow through with a consequence because she will make a huge fuss. I think if I tried to get her to clean something it would take me hours. I am quite firm with her and don't let her get away with things which are unacceptable. But I am probably to lenient at times.

    She is very loving and other people comment on how well behaved she is. I think she just puts it on for me because she thinks she can. I'm going to try some of the tactics suggested and see how we go.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    788
    Thanked
    1,847
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    Do you count doing homework together and story time as 1 on1? Because after sports, homework, parties there is just hardly any time left. DH works 12 hour shifts so its just so hard!

    I only let her stay up on the weekends (last night we watched hop) as during the week she is tired and she will wake up cranky if she hasn't had enough sleep.

    yep, story time counts...homework time counts if it is made enjoyable lol

    Movie nights are something we do as well...special treat on a Sat night after DD has gone to bed.

    The other option would be if she does not get her ****e together is to explain that you feel her behaviour is due to being tired and over scheduled and drop an activity. We are cutting back an activity next term as DS is clearly tired and I want to reduce his load...he is also very heavily into his main sport and I don't want him burning out.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,478
    Thanks
    179
    Thanked
    784
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    yep, story time counts...homework time counts if it is made enjoyable lol

    Movie nights are something we do as well...special treat on a Sat night after DD has gone to bed.

    The other option would be if she does not get her ****e together is to explain that you feel her behaviour is due to being tired and over scheduled and drop an activity. We are cutting back an activity next term as DS is clearly tired and I want to reduce his load...he is also very heavily into his main sport and I don't want him burning out.
    We also do a lot of cooking together, forgot about that! I try to make homework fun by playing games with words and she loves her home readers. So far so good!

    Yes I think we will be dropping ballet after this term. It's from 5-6, a really awkward time and she isn't that into it.

    I might introduce a movie night on the weekend and get her favourite treat to enjoy together. Thanks for that!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,003
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    We have movie night on Friday night. It's a huge hit in our house.


 

Similar Threads

  1. 11yr old attitude...
    By webby in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-01-2013, 15:22
  2. Stubborn with Attitude
    By bpac in forum Discipline & behaviour
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 00:59
  3. Change in attitude/ rudeness by 3yr old
    By Dragonia in forum Discipline & behaviour
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-03-2012, 14:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Nice Pak Products
Australian Made and Owned. The Baby U Goat Milk Skincare range is enriched with soothing goats milk sourced from country, Victoria. Goat's milk has a pH level close to that of our own skin and contains natural sources of amino acids and vitamins.
sales & new stuffsee all
The Health Hub
Give a new mum a fitness boost for Christmas & New Year. Studio-based, small group training sessions - cardio, strength, core, Pilates & boxing. Choice of 16 hrs per week, flexible-arrival feature - bubs & kids welcome! Gift vouchers available.
featured supporter
Little Kickers NSW
Little Kickers was launched in 2002 in the UK and arrived Down Under in 2009. Our motto is “Play not Push” and we provide a positive fun-filled soccer program for children aged 18 months -7 years in a vibrant, group play environment.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!