+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2nd labour and birth anything like 1st?

Just want to hear ladies experiences with their second labour and birth in comparison to their first labour with their first child
    How long?
    Pain tolerance?
    Tears?
    Etc....

Mumma to Connor - 25/8/2011
    And bub #2 due - 24/8/2013

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My second was a dream labour and birth compared to my first.
    However, I was induced and half an hour into contractions I had an epidural, so it was virtually pain-free.
    My first I had 3.5 hours of pushing, my second, 10 minutes. It was awesome.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    First labour 12 hours 5 active labour.
    Small tearing some stitches nothing major hurt like all hell but was up and walking around within an hour technically a dream birth.

Second was a absolute nightmare induced, 3 hours beginning to end, hemmoraged,2nd degree tears, clotted so badly my girl parts were inflated like mini balloons, iron transfusions, was bedridden for 4 days doctor stuff up several times whilst repairing

Funny enough my second birth she was smaller then my first birth but done most damage...

Every single birth is different!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first was days of prelabour then 20+ of active. Had an epidural for last 8 hours and pushed for 2 hours. Had an episiotomy and healed fine.
    I swore for 2 years id never have another baby, then got pregnant again. Worried the whole way through about the labour.
    2nd was induced and I learnt my lesson so had epidural earlier. I did handle the contractions better...I think cause I knew they were going to get so much worse. Active labour only 10hours, pushed only 30mins, quick fix on episiotomy and up showered having a cuppa within an hour.
    2nd was def easier, DS is 8 weeks old and a dream baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced with my first at 39+2 due to GD. 7 hours from start to finish. I had an epidural at 4cm as the 'induced' contractions were so painful. Epidural wore off at 9cm so had no pain relief for birth. Wasn't too bad but being the first one I didn't have anything to compare it to.

My second was 1.5 hours natural labor from start to finish at 38+2. Very fast. Very painful. I was able to move around though which helped. I don't deal with pain very well and it was very intense being so fast. The ob refused to believe I was that far along when the midwife started getting everything ready for the birth. The look on his face when I yelled 'I'm pushing!' was priceless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subscribing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Both were pretty similar

Both were 9 hours
    With both I rested 1 hour before pushing.
    Both were out in 3 pushes
    Waters were broken both times
    Stitches both times but less with second
    Both were 4 days late

But my second was harder, pain was so much more intense and I couldn't sit anywhere so had to stand rocking against the wall the whole time, internals were so painful as I had to lay on the bed. Second was harder to push out but he was 10 pound 7 (first was 7 pound 1)

So while they were very similar second was harder.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ETA: Sorry this is long!

DD (born 10 days over) contractions started about 9pm Friday night but very mild, I really only noticed because this was the first sign of anything I had had. I went to bed later that night (prob 11-12) and slept fine. When I got up in the morning they had stopped but started again soon after. Continued all day increasing intensity but not regular, they would be 5, 7 or 10 minutes apart from memory. If I laid down they were milder so I spent the day walking around trying to get things moving. We went into hospital Saturday night, I was 2cms so chose to go home with panadine forte, the hospital expected me back in the early hours of the morning (we left for home at midnight). So got home took the forte and went to bed, the panadine knocked me out. Slept all night, got up in the morning and everything had stopped! About an hour or two after getting up it started again and continued much the same as the day before. Sunday night we headed into hospital at about midnight. I was still 2 cms. This time we stayed and I continued to labour, DD was posterior and I think the contractions were still irregular. At around 3-4am I had a check, still 2cms, I cried! So it was decided I would have my waters broken and possibly the drip inserted after I had a shot of pethedine (sp?). I had the shot and feel asleep, I could still feel the contractions but was out of it, I also had the gas piece in my mouth the whole time. When I woke up my waters were broken, then at about 7am the drip was inserted. The rest is a blur, I started pushing about 8:30-9 but did not listen at all to the midwives I just pushed as hard as I could the whole time, they told me I would regret it and I did! DD was born at 9:30am Monday morning. Placenta took almost an hour to come away and bleeding was minimal (I think notes say 300ml). I had torn a fair bit though, not particularly deep I don't think but in a lot of places internally and externally. I know now that a lot of that early labour was pre labour, I don't know when I technically went into labour though

DS- (born 39+5). Monday morning I got up and noticed I was having contractions. I had been having pre labour for about 10 days but this was different. Contractions were pretty mild but exactly 7 minutes apart. DH stayed home from work but otherwise we continued the day as normal with a walk here or there and some bouncing on the fit ball thrown in. Over the course of the morning I had a few shows which I hadn't with DD. Contractions basically stayed the same intensity and always 7 mins all day. Not long after DD went to bed the contractions got stronger but were still very managable. At about 10pm I was started to find it hard to get comfy and relax through them, we decided we should try to get some sleep now. As soon as I laid down in bed they were so much worse, I almost instantly got back up but they stayed that bad so off to hospital we went. Upon arrival I was 6cms! Here on I had a shower and generally stayed active (with DD1 I was on the bed almost the whole time from arrival), I discovered leaning on DH, the bed, anything I could find worked best for me. DS was also posterior but turned just before delivery like DD. The midwife kept saying that we would have a baby as soon as my waters broke but they weren't breaking, at around 2am I stop coping and get on the bed were I stay, I also start gas and at some point a shot of pethedine hoping for the same relief as with DD but it does nothing. I have been 9cms for a while now and DS's head is to high, the midwife calls the doctor and wants to wait for him to arrive (about half an hour) before she will break my waters. I beg her to do it now and she agrees. Sure enough as soon as they are broken I start pushing, listening very closely to the midwife when he starts to crown. DS's head is born not long after (10 minutes maybe) but his shoulder is stuck, suddenly there is midwives everywhere but they get him out and DS is born at 3:30am Tuesday morning. Again blood loss in minimal, placenta takes about half an hour with cord traction, I tore again but not as much and the midwife said it was only because of the shoulder incident.
    Last edited by TableDancer; 24-03-2013 at 08:16.