+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Ds 13m refusing spoon feeds

All of a sudden ds is refusing the spoon. Usually he will eat his breakfast, but refuses lunch and dinner (even yummy pasta bolognaise!)
    If its yoghurt, he will usually open up with some distractions, like a toy.
    He will finger self feed.

Is this normal, a phase, what do I do?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I gave DD the spoon from 12 months, she was a pro by 14 months. I'd say it's just time to give the spoon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Give him the spoon, and lots of finger food- best invest in a drop sheet

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry i have no answers for you but my 13 month old has become fussy at dinner and refusing food too. During the day she is fine. Hope it is a phase.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ditch the spoons and just give finger foods, leave a spoon and fork on his tray so he can try use/play with them
    When he is ready

it is messy at this age but I think they are just gaining independence , I used to put a variety of foods on my DS tray at that age and he would choose how much and what he wanted to eat, don't make a big deal over the amounts , he will eat if he is hungry!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

PurpleButterfly4  (23-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks!
    Like pieces of vegetables, pasta and meat? I dont really have heaps of time to prepare our dinner than some fancy tuna patty or zucchini frittata!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Give him the spoon. DD suddenly refused to let me feed her and she went well feeding herself. It is messy and they miss their mouth most of the time at first, but they get the hang of it pretty quick

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally normal. Just give him a spoon and let him go for it

I would just give them anything that we ate. The only thing that I stopped doing for awhile was soup, for very obvious reasons

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 7mo has been refusing to be spoon fed for over a month now (started solids at 5 months)

She just self feeds now and will pretty much eat what we do for dinner (although I do try to plan dinners that I know she can pick up). She loves spaghetti bol (OMG - what a mess!) and any other pasta dish - we had mushroom lasagne tonight, also loves falafels, omelettes, patties, home made pizzas. If we want something spicy or that she'd have trouble picking up, I have premade and frozen meatballs, fishballs, and vegie fritters that I defrost.

You'd be surprised what they can get into their mouths!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    Thanks!
    Like pieces of vegetables, pasta and meat? I dont really have heaps of time to prepare our dinner than some fancy tuna patty or zucchini frittata!
    Yep - as pp said, put a big plastic mat under the high chair!
    But it is the best way to let them learn to feed themselves, after a few months of mess DS could easily feed himself by 18 months and not make much mess