+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Have you heard of Safe Sleep Space?

Hi everyone,
    Has anyone heard of safe sleep space and/or followed their suggestions?
    I have a 5 week baby boy who sleeps well overnight (waking every 3-4 hours) - I breastfeed him and he's so sleepy by the end that I just hold him on my chest into arms for 5-10mins and then place him in the bassinet asleep.
    During the day is a different story and he just cries every time he's placed in the bassinet and isn't sleeping well at all. Over the last few days we've persisted for up to an hour and have got a few 30-45min sleeps out of him.
    A friend suggested the safe sleep space and I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of it or used it with any success? Also, how much should I be worrying about him settling to sleep in the bassinet at the moment? He sleeps in the sling, pram and car great - it's just the bassinet.
    Thanks for any advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Liliana,
    I haven't heard of the safe sleep space so can't comment on that, but none of my 3 babies like their bassinet that early, they slept anywhere else but the bassinet, usually on my chest. I was worried I was creating an issue with them always sleeping on me but they all learnt to sleep well in their bassinet/cots at around 2-3 months by memory.
    At 5 weeks, honestly do whatever works! You and bubby need the sleep. It will all work out with time.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had a phone consult with them a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't too pricey, around $40, so maybe worth a call? My baby is 16 weeks and I called when she was 13 weeks. The woman told me that from 10-15 weeks is the best time to start trying to teach them to self settle, before that they don't really learn to self settle. So maybe just keep trying but wait till 10 weeks to really commit to it if it's still an issue?

My DD would only sleep in a sling up till about 3 weeks ago, and i can now settle her in her cot and she will sleep 30-60 minutes, so we are getting there
    Last edited by FearlessLeader; 23-03-2013 at 20:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. 3bubbys do you know why the didnt like sleeping in the bassinet so young? Mine can sleep there overnight fine which is why I find it weird. What did you do at about 2-3 months to get them sleeping in the bassinet?

Fearless Leader-how did you find the settling techniques? Did you follow it exactly and how long does it take you to get that 30-60mins sleep? Thanks for the tip about 10-15 weeks being the best time and the phone consult. I might give it a go I'd we get to that point. It seems so far away at the moment!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have an 8 week old who tends to catnap (30 mins tops) during the day, but sleeps and settles better at night (2-3 hr sleeps). I saw a Qld health child health nurse when bub was 5 weeks who suggested 'responsive settling' techniques to teach bub to self-settle and showed us a DVD by 'safe sleep space', which was really good. We are holding off teaching her to self-settle until around 12 weeks though, as we personally feel that she still needs cuddles/rocking/patting as she is still so new (the the 'Happiest baby on the block' ''fourth trimester' theory makes sense to us). Her sleep is steadily improving, I think because we are better at noticing her tired signs, as well as maturation. We also have been loaned a swing, which is amazing! Like an 'off switch' at times when she is hard to settle.

Anyway, I thought you may be interested to know that SSS is used by Qld Health, which generally encourages evidence-based approaches.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and the Paed and midwives I've spoken to have suggested that it's not worth worrying as yet about bub catnapping or having trouble sleeping in the bassinet - that these issues are common and often resolve themselves with time, but that teaching bub to self-settle will help if bub doesn't develop this ability on her own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks abigdeepbreath that's really interesting that the qld govt use it. Sorry, I don't mean for him to be able to self settle right now, but we have trouble just helping him to settle in the bassinet. My partner walks with him in his arms or rocks him in his arms to help calm him down and when he's drowsy places him in the bassinet. He then watches and rocks the bassinet if needed. He picks him up if he starts to cry and starts over. I wouldn't mind if he only catnapped in there but he struggles to do even that. In the pram, sling, car he falls asleep almost straight away! Do you think we're doing everything we can? I wonder if I'm putting too much pressure on myself (and then my 5 wk old) about getting him asleep in the bassinet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD didn't like the basinette during the day at that age either... I always thought it was a 'space' thing like its too roomy and they like more snugly places expecially for day sleeps where they don't go in a deep sleep. Sleep cycles are different day to night so I think they don't go into that deep sleep hence when you put him down he wakes up. I suggest a swing, we have a fisher price jungle animal with swing/vibration and she'd have all her day sleeps in there, I was worried I was setting bad habits but she never had a problem sleeping in the basinette or transitioning to her cot or even sleeping in Luther cots in hotels so don't worry about that!
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I definitely think you are doing everything you can, and u are doing really well. My babies were a bit different to yours as they wouldnt sleep in the bassinet day or night, days were in the swing, bouncer or my chest and overnight was in bed with me.
    I would try sleeping them in the bassinet every few days and as time went on they just started settling in there, it wasnt really anything I did, I think they were just ready, and they weren't 'newborn' anymore.

Just try and relax a little bit, I know it's hard when it's your first bubby, but it will all fall into place with time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub has been the same (sleeps well anywhere but the bassinet, where she can only get through one sleep cycle if 30min), and the reason why I think it is a self-settling issue with our LO is that our arms, the car and pram provide her with sensations that help her settle, whereas the bassinet does not (being a still, flat surface), so she needs to have the ability to settle herself without the external input.

It sounds like you are doing heaps to help your bub sleep. ( I still recommend the swing - it will save your back and sanity!).