+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I found it best when exbf was still smoking and I was quitting I found it best to have some gum and spray for him to cover his stink at the beginning. I'm the type that once I'm quit I don't like it. I've been quit for 5 months and had 3 smokes in that time hating each of them.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelist For This Useful Post:

MonsterMoosMum  (24-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    The biggest thing that helped me was remembering that: the first week is the hardest, and that physical cravings literally only last five minutes. Just try little things to occupy you for that time.

When I quit smoking my XBF continued to smoke heavily, but I put a stop to smoking in the house.

I also used patches for the first two weeks.

It's hard - I would still love to smoke, and the second I hit 85 I'm going to start again!

Good luck...
    Haha I have always said when my partner dies I'm starting again. I told him I should never have stopped considering he is 9 years older than me and men generally die first I was just trying to closer the gap.

Good lord I miss smoking.

2 years
    1 month
    4 days

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meesha87 For This Useful Post:

*Need~More~Coffee~Please*  (23-03-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (24-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I smoked a pack a day, sometimes two if out on the town at night. Dunhill Blues. I stopped when I discovered I was pregnant and that was close on eight years ago. DH and I quit together and I used the Allen Carr book. It was so bloody hard and sometimes I still miss it but I did it and you can too. Good luck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OK so I accidentally hit "thanks" on a previous post ...sorry !!

Anyway cold turkey is what's worked for me I have quit twice ..the last time being almost 6 years ago !! For good !! ( when I found out I was preg with ds ...but I was to a stage where I'd only smoke when I drank so since I quite d drinking the smoking wasn't hard )

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I quit 5 years ago.

Almost went to a hypnotherapist, but he said we were doing ok. He gave us a tip that he "suggests" in his sessions.
    Each time you have a craving, you need to acknowledge it. Don't ignore it. If you ignore it, it will snowball up until you believe you are missing out on something. Acknowledge it and then you can put that feeling away. We found it really helped us.

Also, what stopped me going back when I had cravings, was the memory of how it was such hard mental work to stop. I would tell myself that I would be back at step one again and it would be really tough to stop again. I am over it. I never want to have to do it again.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngmummy2bee View Post
    As pp said cold turkeys the only thing that worked. For me anyway
    I totally agree. I was slammed in a previous thread for saying this. Apparently if I could quit cold turkey then I 'couldn't have possibly had a REAL addiction' *eye roll*

5 years after quitting I still feel like a ciggie sometimes and I would probably enjoy it if I did have one, but I make a conscious decision not to smoke. I have a bit of a philosophy that we are not animals who are purely governed by our desires, we can think it thorough and make a decision based on our knowledge and free will.

So when you want one, acknowledge the craving as a pp said, then choose not to have one.

Also if you cave and have one, don't think of that as your attempt being over. You've just had one smoke, or one puff, you're not 'a smoker' again. Same way as one biscuit doesn't mean your diet it over, it's just one slip up.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'm not a smoker and I hate smoking but I just wanted to say good luck and hang in there!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had tried numerous times to quit (only really succeeding when I was pregnant) but I was having a prayer moment one day and before I could think about what I was saying I blurted out "if I smoke one more cigarette GOD you can give me cancer" ... Haven't touched one since!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

babehmamma  (24-03-2013)