+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Weaning off breastfeeding at 10 months

Hi girls, i need advice on weaning. I've been bf exclusively and my baby is on 4 bf a day plus 3 solids and snacks (he's 9.5 months). He's starting childcare soon and they give formula there so i'm planning to still bf early morning and before bed time (if boobs permit) but giving formula for day times (as i assume my milk will dry up in daytime cos he'll be at day care most weekdays). Is it even worth it? I dont have bottles so i'd have to stock up and buy formula. Would it be easier to just start giving cows milk from a sippy cup during the day? (When he's not at daycare and i cant bf). So his day would hopefully still have 2bf, 2 cups of cows milk (or formula when at DC) and solids? Do i warm the milk? Or would it be better to give him formula? he's quite skinny so i'd like him to gain some more weight... Thanks for your input!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Is there a reason you couldn't express? Your employer is required to give you the opportunity to express milk if you are breastfeeding, I would express and send that lot of ebm the next day. or could you go into the centre on your lunch break to feed?
    By 10 months my DS was only having a morning and evening feed anyway- your baby might not need a feed in the day for much longer.
    If it were me I would express and send EBM until bubs was 12 months, then send a bottle/sippy cup of cow's milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Expressing might be a good idea... Although i would have to buy a pump...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My daughter didn't like expressed milk and so justt had water and family foods on work days, but on non work days she would breastfeed. My boobs adjusted and milk was there on 'home' days and i wasn't too full on work days.

You don't have to wean now, and you don't have to give formula either. I breastfed DD before i left for work and then she had a big breastfeed when i got home. You can ask childcare not to feed him just before pick up so he ready to feed then.

There are different options if you want.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could hire a pump, the ABA have them as well as lots of chemists etc. Especially if you only need it for a few months... It would be worth sticking with ebm since you're so close to 12 months rather than give formula if you can avoid it (but some people can't express much so may not be an option). How many days a week will you be working?

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my bub was 7 months I went back to work. I wasn't into expressing so I bf night and early morning and he had formula throughout the day. The days I didn't work I still bf. my boobs adjusted after a few days. It can be done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A pump would still be cheaper than formula. I got a dual electric unimom pump for about $130, it's excellent. If you have the supply I would also stick with as much breastmilk as possible rather than formula. There are some good suggestions in here, best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks girls, i hope my boobs adjust as well as yours! I'll be working 3-4 days/week, still waiting for HR to confirm...