+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Personally I would because I believe my GP 100%, he has never been wrong before when it comes to my family, and I have been seeing him for over 40 years. (Gutted he will retire soon!)

Sounds like you're not trusting the doctor, I'd get a second opinion and hunt around for someone who is willing to discuss the matter with you and someone who you trust the opinion of and are on the same page with.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't give antibiotics if my kids were playing and eating. The gp we go to, we specifically choose because they DON'T prescribe antib's at the drop of a hat. The gp we went to previously was pill-happy, and we got given so many scripts that I didn't fill and weren't needed. I used to ask the gp "do I need to start this script right away?" And she would say "wait till tomorrow and see" oh ok, so why are you prescribing them then? "oh just in case" she would say grrr.
    Trust your gut & with antib's, wait if you can. In my experience, when dd1 needed them she was always off her food AND drink, very lethargic, obviously *really* sick

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (23-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I totally agree Gothel.

Also, if they are happy to prescribe unnecessary antibiotics, then what other things might they be all too happy to prescribe?

I would rather a GP like yours, who only gives scripts when necessary, then you know that it is really needed. As, of course, things are sometimes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you should check in with your regular doctor to be sure. Some doctors do give out antibiotics without having a real reason... I have experienced it firsthand. Went to the drs but like you, my regular gp was busy so I saw somebody else. I said I had not been feeling well and wanted a blood test as pregnancy test was negative but I felt like I could be pregnant. He said I wasn't and ordered the blood test anyways along with some other tests to see what the problem was. He then gave me a script for antibiotics... I asked why and he said it was likely I had an infection and to take them until the blood results came back and if it wasn't then we could try another drug. I decided not to take them until I had the results and behold... The 'infection' was in fact my body telling me I was pregnant after all! Will never go to another doctor again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    I wouldn't give antibiotics if my kids were playing and eating. The gp we go to, we specifically choose because they DON'T prescribe antib's at the drop of a hat. The gp we went to previously was pill-happy, and we got given so many scripts that I didn't fill and weren't needed. I used to ask the gp "do I need to start this script right away?" And she would say "wait till tomorrow and see" oh ok, so why are you prescribing them then? "oh just in case" she would say grrr.
    Trust your gut & with antib's, wait if you can. In my experience, when dd1 needed them she was always off her food AND drink, very lethargic, obviously *really* sick
    This. We chose our gp for this reason too. And I agree with the lethargic, refusing to eat and drink thing. DD (who is four) was very sick last week and had her second course of antibiotics in her lifetime. She was like a wet rag, wouldn't eat or drink and had massive temperatures. I knew something was very wrong. She had pussy tonsils that were nearly touching eachother. The difference in her after 36 hours on antibiotics was amazing.

I am incredibly reluctant to give antibiotics. I had them endlessly as a child and I have poor immunity and gut health. I think the antibiotics played a very big role in my ongoing health problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get a torch and a paddle-pop stick and check out the tonsils. If there's yellow-white spots/lumps on them it has developed into a secondary bacterial infection of the tonsils and needs antibiotics.

DD had recurrent tonsilitis and was a fairly happy sick kid. Often the only symptom she would have is her hearing would get worse as the swollen tonsils would block thrilled tubes to her ears causing build-up/infection. If she ran a fever for more than 3 days I'd be at the doc's. Since her tonsilectomy 2 years ago she's had about 3 colds and they only last a couple of days, so the only reason the viruses she picked up were lasting so long was her tonsils.

I've personally been over-prescribed AB's and agree it happens. But I also had one GP refuse to prescribe DD ABs despite her history wanting to see if she'd just get better as she seemed happy and bright. This meant back to see another GP 3 days later to end up on a high potency broad spectrum AB for 10 days to clear up what had developed into severe tonsilitis by then!

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My old gp prescribed me ab's twice in 3mths - the first because I had a persistent cough (which after being my gp for a number of years she should have known it is because of my asthma) and the 2nd because I had a slight temp (37.1) after we found out our baby had passed. Apparently that 'temp' was the start of sepsis and definitely couldn't be attributed to the fact it was 36° outside and I had walked to my appt with dd

Its a worry when medical professionals are so quick to dispense these medications knowing they won't fix the problem in many cases.

Op I hope your DS recovers soon

Sent from my HTC Desire X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Generally if they've been sick for a bit you can try antibiotics but if no improvement after 48hrs then go back to the dr.
    My DD had been sick with a virus for a few weeks; I gave antibiotics and she was better within hours

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope- I go with my gut instinct. Sometimes I'll just need a medical cert but they'll prescribe antibiotics. I'll keep the script handy if I feel he needs it in the end but I tend to undermedicate more than anything. I think if we build up tolerance than it'll help with the smaller illnesses and also help if he was to ever contract anything more serious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Medical authorities are predicting that antibiotic resistance will be a very real situation here in Australia between 2-5 years from now. When that happens (unless new ones are developed - which isn't happening as the big pharmas have ruled it out due to it not making them enough money) then we will be going back to the days when death from infections are common place. There are a few Universities jumping on the bandwagon and coming up with some new meds, but they need funding - from the government - and so far no government is saying they will invest heavily in new projects - it is very scary! And this is when the true colours of pharma companies rear its ugly head.

Don't get me wrong, I am pro vax, pro medicines etc - but even I can see that it comes down to money with the big pharmas. So depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Overuse of antibiotics when NOT NEEDED (eg antibiotics can only treat bacterial infections not viral infections like colds) leads to bugs becoming super bugs and antibiotic resistant which means that the antibiotics we used to be able to treat them with don't work anymore and we have to try an alternative one or design a new one from scratch. In the mean time, vulnerable people can become very sick and potentially die from these super bugs.