I would hold off a bit longer on the antibiotics. It sounds like your lo is still eating and drinking? That is a good sign.
I would just focus on rest, good food and reevaluate in a couple of days.
There are things you can do to strengthen the immune system so the body can fight things off itself a bit better too.
Probiotics are good, so are soups made with bones in them.
I really don't think we should underestimate how much good proper rest can do too.
I'm not against antibiotics, but they are HUGELY overused so I can totally understand your reluctance.
Last edited by wannawannabe; 23-03-2013 at 11:01.
I wouldn't give them in this instance, but I would hang onto the script (It is good for a year). That way if there is a future incident where he does obviously need antibiotics, you can just get them for him instead of going through the hassle of waiting for the doctor with a sick child.
Right wow interesting thanks I did not know that. Sorry to derail op
My simple answer, no.
I watched some program in Telly the other week about doctors prescribing anti biotics just for anything to get patients out the door.
I would get a 2nd opinion if I were you.
DS had tonsilitis a few weeks ago, his temp was up to 39.5 and didn't come down unless he had panadol etc. he refused to eat or drink anything for 3-5 days and was absolutely miserable. So I knew something was up. We got anti biotics for him but that's because the tonsilitis was an infection.
I never take the doctors word for it if they are rushed / can't be bothered etc. just because they have a degree does not mean they are always right.
Your DS is obviously not well but I would get a 2nd opinion.
Yes, that is true. But if they suddenly spike a fever and then get gross coloured snot I'd be thinking infection.
DS1 was unwell for a couple of weeks or so with a chesty cold, and then one night his fever spiked to 41.5 and he had a severe tummy ache, it ended up being pneumonia, I knew as soon as his temp went from normal to suddenly that high after being sick for that amount of time that it was probably a secondary infection.
my answer is no for your ds right now if he doesnt improve id seek a second opinion then do antib's if needed.
Theres a flu bug going around bad at the moment my little one got it 2 weeks ago and had it pretty bad for 9 days. Temps. Upset. Snotty. Coughy. Weepy eyes. Vomitting. And refusing to eat or drink. its tough but ya just gotta ride it out.
Best of luck hope your little one gets better soon
Pregnant for the first-time?
Not sure where to start? We can help!
Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!