+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    It already has. There was a lady who recently died in Cairns Hospital after being in isolation for almost a year after she travelled to the Torres Strait for medical treatment from PNG.
    I heard about her, I hadn't realised that she died though, very sad. I thought we brought her over here for treatment though?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would hold off a bit longer on the antibiotics. It sounds like your lo is still eating and drinking? That is a good sign.

I would just focus on rest, good food and reevaluate in a couple of days.

There are things you can do to strengthen the immune system so the body can fight things off itself a bit better too.

Probiotics are good, so are soups made with bones in them.

I really don't think we should underestimate how much good proper rest can do too.

I'm not against antibiotics, but they are HUGELY overused so I can totally understand your reluctance.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (23-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    It already has. There was a lady who recently died in Cairns Hospital after being in isolation for almost a year after she travelled to the Torres Strait for medical treatment from PNG.
    Wow, that's no good at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I heard about her, I hadn't realised that she died though, very sad. I thought we brought her over here for treatment though?
    What happens is when low tide hits it's only a short ride in a tinnie from PNG to the most northern most islands of the Torres Strait which comes under Australia, specifically Queensland territory. They then present to the Queensland Health clinic on the island and because they're now in Australia, we're obligated to treat them so they then get airlifted out to Cairns.
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 23-03-2013 at 11:01.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

beebs  (23-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't give them in this instance, but I would hang onto the script (It is good for a year). That way if there is a future incident where he does obviously need antibiotics, you can just get them for him instead of going through the hassle of waiting for the doctor with a sick child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Right wow interesting thanks I did not know that. Sorry to derail op

Thanks
    Reviews
    My simple answer, no.

I watched some program in Telly the other week about doctors prescribing anti biotics just for anything to get patients out the door.

I would get a 2nd opinion if I were you.

DS had tonsilitis a few weeks ago, his temp was up to 39.5 and didn't come down unless he had panadol etc. he refused to eat or drink anything for 3-5 days and was absolutely miserable. So I knew something was up. We got anti biotics for him but that's because the tonsilitis was an infection.

I never take the doctors word for it if they are rushed / can't be bothered etc. just because they have a degree does not mean they are always right.

Your DS is obviously not well but I would get a 2nd opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Antibiotic resistants scares the

Basically, I would follow my gut, and not give them if it was clear it is a virus. Having said that, if your little one spikes a sudden high fever, or gets green snot, then I probably would give it to them.
    Just wanted to say green snot is not always a true indication of infection

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, that is true. But if they suddenly spike a fever and then get gross coloured snot I'd be thinking infection.

DS1 was unwell for a couple of weeks or so with a chesty cold, and then one night his fever spiked to 41.5 and he had a severe tummy ache, it ended up being pneumonia, I knew as soon as his temp went from normal to suddenly that high after being sick for that amount of time that it was probably a secondary infection.

Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    Just wanted to say green snot is not always a true indication of infection

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    my answer is no for your ds right now if he doesnt improve id seek a second opinion then do antib's if needed.
    Theres a flu bug going around bad at the moment my little one got it 2 weeks ago and had it pretty bad for 9 days. Temps. Upset. Snotty. Coughy. Weepy eyes. Vomitting. And refusing to eat or drink. its tough but ya just gotta ride it out.
    Best of luck hope your little one gets better soon