+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bubba is sick to and I am contemplating even taking her today. Guys why is everyone so against anti biotics can't find it in google?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LoCo For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (23-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
    Bubba is sick to and I am contemplating even taking her today. Guys why is everyone so against anti biotics can't find it in google?
    Overuse of antibiotics when NOT NEEDED (eg antibiotics can only treat bacterial infections not viral infections like colds) leads to bugs becoming super bugs and antibiotic resistant which means that the antibiotics we used to be able to treat them with don't work anymore and we have to try an alternative one or design a new one from scratch. In the mean time, vulnerable people can become very sick and potentially die from these super bugs.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-02-2014),Gothel  (23-03-2013),Janesmum123  (23-03-2013),LoCo  (23-03-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (23-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Overuse of antibiotics when NOT NEEDED (eg antibiotics can only treat bacterial infections not viral infections like colds) leads to bugs becoming super bugs and antibiotic resistant which means that the antibiotics we used to be able to treat them with don't work anymore and we have to try an alternative one or design a new one from scratch. In the mean time, vulnerable people can become very sick and potentially die from these super bugs.
    Yes also Antibiotics kill bad bacteria as well as good.
    They also weaken the immune system if they are prescribed when not needed.
    And will not help a virus at all if anything they will make it worse.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (23-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Overuse of antibiotics cause the bacteria we are trying to fight to build resistance to them, therefore they will become ineffective, we are heading back to the days where a chest infection will kill, as will infected wounds and things like that.

The pharma companies have said it is not worth their while money wise to invest in new anitbiotics, so it is down to universities with little funding to try and stop it happening.

Things like MRSA are antibiotic resistant. And now there is a new strain of TB that is completely antibiotic resistant, they believe it will start showing up in Australia in the near future, nobody is sure exactly when, but they believe it will be soon as it is already rife in Papua New Guinea.

Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post

8. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (23-03-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bacterial and viral infections can present similar symptoms for infections in the chest, throat, sinuses etc. (I've had a lot of these sorts of infections.) Tonsillitis can be bacterial or viral too. I'm not suggesting I'm a doctor, I have no medical training whatsoever so please don't quote me but I believe if the tonsils have some pus on them then it is most likely bacterial. If this is the case and it's not treated it can lead to more complications.

Maybe if he doesn't get any better in a couple of days then consider the ABs?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

babyla  (23-03-2013),peanutmonkey  (23-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If he thought it was tonsillitis (which can be viral or bacterial) then I would've thought he'd do a throat swab to check its bacterial before prescribing antib's.

When DD was sick alllll of last winter (she was waiting for op for more grommets and adenoids out so was sick a lot) some docs would happily prescribe antib's a few mins after we entered the room 'just in case' whereas other docs would refuse to prescribe them at all - all for the exact same symptoms! So it's a tough call to make. If you do eventually decide to give them, make sure you give a good probiotic too (you can take them during the antibiotic course, just a couple of hours apart).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    Bacterial and viral infections can present similar symptoms for infections in the chest, throat, sinuses etc. (I've had a lot of these sorts of infections.) Tonsillitis can be bacterial or viral too. I'm not suggesting I'm a doctor, I have no medical training whatsoever so please don't quote me but I believe if the tonsils have some pus on them then it is most likely bacterial. If this is the case and it's not treated it can lead to more complications.

Maybe if he doesn't get any better in a couple of days then consider the ABs?
    This is what I was thinking. I would probably give them if my DS had been sick for a while and not making any improvement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post

Things like MRSA are antibiotic resistant. And now there is a new strain of TB that is completely antibiotic resistant, they believe it will start showing up in Australia in the near future, nobody is sure exactly when, but they believe it will be soon as it is already rife in Papua New Guinea.
    It already has. There was a lady who recently died in Cairns Hospital after being in isolation for almost a year after she travelled to the Torres Strait for medical treatment from PNG.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine tried to give me antibiotics the other day. I just refused them. I have a cold - a bad strain yes but it is a cold and antibiotics are not going to cure that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, in most cold or minor flu cases they are not necessary.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub