+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do you always listen to the doctor when it comes to antibiotics?

Ok bit of quick background my DS has been sick for a week. Blocked nose, cough, temp to a max of 38.5 but sometimes as low as 36.8 and generally looking under the weather. Yesterday I took him to the doc my doctor was super busy so I saw a different one (still waited 1.5 hours to see him my doctor was 3 hour wait) Anyway he checked him ears all good, chest pretty clear, stomach nothing, heart sounds fine. Then he prescribes him antibiotics...umm why? Everytime I asked this doctor a question he just sounded agitated and I was being super nice. I said "oh he needs antibiotics I thought maybe it was a virus" to which he replied in a snarky voice "well he has been sick for a week and he doesn't look well" to which I said "but if it a virus (because you know antibiotics don't actually work for viruses - I didnt say this to him cause he cut me off)" to which he said "its tonsillitis" in an very unconvincing voice to which I said "but isn't that viral" to which he gave me a dirty look.
    So now I have antibiotics for DS but Im so uncomfortable giving antibiotics when they are not needed. But then I'm not a doctor.
    If I got back to the medical centre the wait will be at least 2-3 hours again.
    DS has no temp today but looks a little tired. He is eating and playing.

Thing is my DS was sick last year for 3 weeks caught some nasty bug and we ended up at the hospital and the doctors there wouldnt even give him antibiotics because they said it was pointless.
    How does this doctor know its an infection?

So what would you do? do you follow your gut or would you suck it up and give the medication.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Some doctors are so antib happy, I've had one who said that my child had a virus but she prescribed him antibiotics "just in case".

Antibiotic resistants scares the pants off me, so I feel that we all as a community have to be treating it really carefully.

Basically, I would follow my gut, and not give them if it was clear it is a virus. Having said that, if your little one spikes a sudden high fever, or gets green snot, then I probably would give it to them.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (23-03-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (23-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have not listened to doctors a lot if times. We can generally not get into my gp unless its planned, so for last minute things we have to go to the medical centre. I have been given scripts soooomany times even when there is no infections. The next couple of days they perk up

i figure if they get yhem when they dont necessarily need them they wont work when they realy need them. I would probably wait til monday and take him to your nomal doc if still not well.

To give yiu an idea of how useless they are, whn my 2 year old suddlnly stopped walking on on leg they said it was a mozzie bite and have me antibiotics! I took him to the hospital where he was in for the night and almost had surgery.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mmy2b For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (23-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would definitely not give them

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't bother. By the sounds of it he's just the cold that's be going around freaking everywhere for the last few weeks.

Just make sure he has lots of fluids and give him some paracetamol to keep the temp down and that even though he's happy playing, he still gets lots of rest.

Steamy showers if the blocked nose is super bad and get some vix vapo rub to help ease the congestion.

(for what's its worth I'm normally pro-medicine for most things, but not when it comes to simple colds like this. Your GP sounds like a douche.)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are sure it is just a virus can I ask why you took him to the doctor in the first place? There's nothing they can do for a virus anyway. But perhaps seeing as though he has been sick for a week he may have been concerned there is something more going on (or has been going on). Totally your call on the antibiotics but honestly most Doctors don't just give them out willy nilly. If you don't feel right giving them to him follow your gut.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WannaBMummy82 For This Useful Post:

CMF  (23-03-2013),Janesmum123  (23-03-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (23-03-2013),Mummy Potato  (26-02-2014),ozeymumof5  (23-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok so I'm not being a crazy parent then...
    I am also scared of antibiotics resistance especially in the kids I'm just so shocked that antibiotics are given so freely. I know I'm not a doctor and I'm not trying to be a smart a.ss but come on he just appears to have every symptom of a virus. I brought him in to be checked out and make sure he doesnt have an ear or chest infection (which he doesnt)
    And what got me was at least answer my questions, I'm a parent my son is sick, I'm concerned...why wouldn't you just explain why you think antibiotics should be given.
    Anyway yes I'm going to hold off on them for now and monitor DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've thought DS just had a virus and left him about 2 weeks, by the time I took him to the doctors he had two raging middle ear infections and I had no idea. I felt so bad, so now if they have a cough for more than a week, I take them for a check up too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope I wouldn't give him then.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WannaBMummy82 View Post
    If you are sure it is just a virus can I ask why you took him to the doctor in the first place? There's nothing they can do for a virus anyway. But perhaps seeing as though he has been sick for a week he may have been concerned there is something more going on (or has been going on). Totally your call on the antibiotics but honestly most Doctors don't just give them out willy nilly. If you don't feel right giving them to him follow your gut.
    To get him checked out. To check if he has an ear or chest infection.

Viruses can still make you very sick. I go to the doctor to make sure there is
    nothing more serious. I am more then happy to have DS checked and sent home
    with nothing more then panadol.

I wanted to be sure everything was fine.

Viruses in kids can last for weeks and that is fine if the child is coping
    their body will fight it off. If its viral antibiotics are completely useless.

I just think if you are going to prescribe them then you should say 'I think he
    has an infection here or here and its bacterial and he needs antibiotics'

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (26-02-2014),wannawannabe  (23-03-2013)