+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Ok, I don't think people are understanding what I mean. How do you answer the question "why are people's skin colour different", as in technically. I can tell him that people from different countries sometimes have different skin colours but why do they have different skin colours in 5 year old terms?

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    Ok, I don't think people are understanding what I mean. How do you answer the question "why are people's skin colour different", as in technically. I can tell him that people from different countries sometimes have different skin colours but why do they have different skin colours in 5 year old terms?
    Well, you'd be explaining genetics basically? So explain about how families share traits, and larger populations share traits, and that some of these traits have to do with adapting to the environment, etc. there are some great kids science resources online that you could use.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (23-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    By saying: "everyone is different and sometimes people are coloured a bit different, like some people have curly hair and others have straight hair. Some have brown hair and other people have blonde hair. Some people have white skin like Karen and some people have dark skin like Joe. That's just how it is."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (23-03-2013)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    She hasn't mentioned it yet. She has made a passing comment about *the brown boy* about something that happened on a playground but we haven't discussed it. She goes to day care with Asian, Indian and a couple of others kids (French) who I guess are of African decent but she hasn't noticed a *difference* at this stage.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (23-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    What about googling/youtubing an age appropriate video that explains it?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (23-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my experience kids don't notice skin colour differences till an adult points it out.

When coming to aust nearly 20 yrs ago it didn't occur to me that my brother and I were physically different. But day 1 at a public school we found out that we couldn't play with the other kids cos we were "dirty Ab0s".

Next week we went to a private school which was much more accepting.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (23-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I didn't, I assumed he would pick up on it because we lived in a really multicultural place. I realise now that I should have been talking about it, but as a pp said, I never noticed that people were different from me when I was a kid, so I assumed it would be the same for him.

I learnt the hard way when DS started screaming, crying and shaking that those two women were ghosts (wearing niqabs), or when he said in a room full of Vietnamese people "why do all those people have funny eyes. How embarrassing! I've since started showing him maps and books about different places, cultures, music etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My daughter has quite a range of cultures in her class. Over the past and next few weeks it seems the teacher has been getting the parents in to talk about their countries of origin, and their culture. I think this is absolutely great because it kind of tackles this issue, as well as expands their knowledge of the world etc.
    As my daughter is 5 I have also dealt with her noticing that some people look different. I just told her that some people have different colour eyes, different colour hair, and different colour skin, as well as thy some people are short and some people are tall, some people are girls and some people are boys. She 'got' it and its never been an issue

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OP you could also talk about the fact that pigmentation is what causes skin to go dark if you want to get technical with her. So freckles are little dots of pigmentation, and that the 'darker' people have more/higher pigmentation in their skin. That the sun can cause pigmentation in the skin (tanning).
    Last edited by Rarity; 23-03-2013 at 09:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Bec DD1's best friend last year a boy from Tanzania. When she asked about skin colour I kept it very very simple and said she has curly hair and X had straight her. Or she has brown hair and her sister blonde. Skin colour can also be different. She accepted that. I've found the simplest explanations work with her. She was 6 at the time.

I also didn't want to get into too much confusing detail which she could get wrong and go back to school and tell him something out of whack.
    Last edited by Sonja; 23-03-2013 at 22:17.