+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    205
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked
    34
    Reviews
    0
    Hi 3cats,

    I have a pretty similar situation to you. We were ttc for about a year with no luck at all. All my tests came back perfect, but my husbands first sperm count was at 9 million. The next one he had was at 14 million (with everything else pretty decent- morphology, motility etc). We kept trying for a while longer, but were told we would need ivf. This was really devastating for both of us. And you need time to really let yourself just feel what you need to feel.

    After about 21 months of ttc we started ivf. We didnt need to do icsi as he had plenty of sperm for ivf- I think I remember the ivf scientist saying they put about 100,000 (healthy) sperm around each egg.

    Anyways, I am now pregnant. After our first go with IVF, I am pregnant. Its very early days but I am really hopeful! So there is hope for you. You are young and healthy and that is a really great thing. I remember our fertility specialist saying that with ivf/icsi the man's problem is pretty much taken out of the equation and if the female has no probs then your odds of it working are pretty good.

    If youre thinking about ivf, my advice would be to book in all your appointments nice and quick because the initial process can take a little while to get through.. once you have all the info you need and all the tests done then you can make a decision about whether its what you both want to do.

    Don't give up!! It is a really hard time, but don't give up!
    Last edited by beanie87; 23-03-2013 at 06:59.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,059
    Thanks
    198
    Thanked
    245
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you so much for your positive stories.

    There's no way I'm giving up and there's no way I'm gonna wait around for years and years for a miracle baby to turn up naturally. Ill do whatever it takes with the IVF processes. It's just a tad overwhelming and not what young ppl expect things will pan out like! But it is what it is. I've got through more health problems to last a lifetime and I can get thru this as well

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,059
    Thanks
    198
    Thanked
    245
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've decided to go back to my GP clinic next week and see my primary GP who is a female. I'd been seeing this other GP for a issue he specializes in (skin) when I got the referrals for fertility testing. I'm just not happy with the off hand comment he made about my husband and this isn't the first time it's happened. He's made comments about my breasts still being 'huge' after 2 breast reductions and when doing a skin check he pointed out my stomach stretch marks (from rapid weight gain from a medication which is in my file) and said something like 'wow, pregnancy won't be kind to you then'.
    I have a sense of humour so that's why I've continued to see him as I don't think he's being malicious but already feeling quite upset about my husbands results I don't want to be on edge him.

    I'm gonna ask her on Wednesday to refer me right away to a specialist at Monash IVF. I'm not convinced that my results can be perfectly normal. Can it be possible that the cycle they took the day 22 then day 3 bloods could be a good cycle and other cycles abnormal?

    My last 4 cycles have been 26 or 27 days (including the one that was tested). This month my cycle was 36 days. Last yr I had 2 cycles that were 36 and 38. Could I not be ovulating on the longer cycles?

    In any event I want to hear it from a specialist. I'm thinking of:
    Dr Lynn Burmeister
    Associate Prof Luk Rombauts
    Or Dr Gareth Weston.

    Anybody have advice on these particular doctors? I'm leaning towards Lynn as I prefer female doctors, especially for something like this.
    Last edited by 3cats1pug; 29-03-2013 at 19:43.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 3cats1pug View Post
    I've decided to go back to my GP clinic next week and see my primary GP who is a female. I'd been seeing this other GP for a issue he specializes in (skin) when I got the referrals for fertility testing. I'm just not happy with the off hand comment he made about my husband and this isn't the first time it's happened. He's made comments about my breasts still being 'huge' after 2 breast reductions and when doing a skin check he pointed out my stomach stretch marks (from rapid weight gain from a medication which is in my file) and said something like 'wow, pregnancy won't be kind to you then'.
    I have a sense of humour so that's why I've continued to see him as I don't think he's being malicious but already feeling quite upset about my husbands results I don't want to be on edge him.

    I'm gonna ask her on Wednesday to refer me right away to a specialist at Monash IVF. I'm not convinced that my results can be perfectly normal. Can it be possible that the cycle they took the day 22 then day 3 bloods could be a good cycle and other cycles abnormal?

    My last 4 cycles have been 26 or 27 days (including the one that was tested). This month my cycle was 36 days. Last yr I had 2 cycles that were 36 and 38. Could I not be ovulating on the longer cycles?

    In any event I want to hear it from a specialist. I'm thinking of:
    Dr Lynn Burmeister
    Associate Prof Luk Rombauts
    Or Dr Gareth Weston.

    Anybody have advice on these particular doctors? I'm leaning towards Lynn as I prefer female doctors, especially for something like this.
    I think it is possible to conceive with 7 million sperm so it's best not to assume it is all down to your partner as it could be a combined factor. Your cycle length of less than 28 days suggests there could be a problem. Maybe you should ask for additional testing. Long cycles are still likely to be ovulatory. But the really short cycles might be concerning as it could mean a short luteal phase.
    My partners sperm was 97 million per ml, and all my results came back excellent too but we are now dealing with 'unexplained infertility'. I am sure there is something wrong with me, they just haven't found it. There can be so many causes of infertility.
    Last edited by amy12; 16-04-2013 at 14:41.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,059
    Thanks
    198
    Thanked
    245
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is 26/27 days considered that short? I thought that was pretty normal...
    I'm on day 19 atm, we'll soon see how this month pans out.
    The month that I had day 3 and 22 bloods checked I had a 27 day cycle and all my hormones were in the correct levels for the time of the month they were checked and it indicated that I ovulated.

    I have an appointment next weds to see a specialist at monash IVF. Very much looking forward to hearing what he has to say and getting some questions answered.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3cats1pug View Post
    I've decided to go back to my GP clinic next week and see my primary GP who is a female. I'd been seeing this other GP for a issue he specializes in (skin) when I got the referrals for fertility testing. I'm just not happy with the off hand comment he made about my husband and this isn't the first time it's happened. He's made comments about my breasts still being 'huge' after 2 breast reductions and when doing a skin check he pointed out my stomach stretch marks (from rapid weight gain from a medication which is in my file) and said something like 'wow, pregnancy won't be kind to you then'.
    I have a sense of humour so that's why I've continued to see him as I don't think he's being malicious but already feeling quite upset about my husbands results I don't want to be on edge him.

    I'm gonna ask her on Wednesday to refer me right away to a specialist at Monash IVF. I'm not convinced that my results can be perfectly normal. Can it be possible that the cycle they took the day 22 then day 3 bloods could be a good cycle and other cycles abnormal?

    My last 4 cycles have been 26 or 27 days (including the one that was tested). This month my cycle was 36 days. Last yr I had 2 cycles that were 36 and 38. Could I not be ovulating on the longer cycles?

    In any event I want to hear it from a specialist. I'm thinking of:
    Dr Lynn Burmeister
    Associate Prof Luk Rombauts
    Or Dr Gareth Weston.

    Anybody have advice on these particular doctors? I'm leaning towards Lynn as I prefer female doctors, especially for something like this.

    He sounds a bit rude, why would you clal someone's husband a dud Just wanted to say good luck and I hope you are pregnant very soon.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,059
    Thanks
    198
    Thanked
    245
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    He sounds a bit rude, why would you clal someone's husband a dud Just wanted to say good luck and I hope you are pregnant very soon.
    Thanks. Yes he was very rude, it was a poor taste attempt at humour. I won't be seeing him anymore.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to 3cats1pug For This Useful Post:

    Lovemyfam  (17-04-2013)

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lockwood South
    Posts
    1,878
    Thanks
    780
    Thanked
    181
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, We are starting our first round of icsi in June, due to low/no everything, count, morphology and motility.
    But every time I get tests I always ask for copies, I've found my FS only talks about the things he thinks are relevant and that's not really acceptable to me, especially when he is usually thinking 5 steps ahead all the time. So always ask for a copy, the receptionist will photocopy them for you.
    Good luck with everything and hopefully you can get some answers soon!

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,059
    Thanks
    198
    Thanked
    245
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HowCrazyCool View Post
    Hi, We are starting our first round of icsi in June, due to low/no everything, count, morphology and motility.
    But every time I get tests I always ask for copies, I've found my FS only talks about the things he thinks are relevant and that's not really acceptable to me, especially when he is usually thinking 5 steps ahead all the time. So always ask for a copy, the receptionist will photocopy them for you.
    Good luck with everything and hopefully you can get some answers soon!
    Thanks. I have copies of my hubby's sperm analysis and all my blood tests I intend to ask for copies of any further tests. You're right, it's important to have your own copies. It's hard to remember every number they throw at you and they don't mention everything or you don't know if that's a good result or bad and by how much. I like to look them over later and look online what each test is and what's normal.

    Good luck to you too.

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,059
    Thanks
    198
    Thanked
    245
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So I have my very first appointment at Monash IVF late this arvo. I'm getting really nervous!!!!!
    I'm anxious as to what he's gonna say. More tests and delays or being told just to keep trying.
    15 cycles trying this month... Nothing!

    My poor hubby has never had a thing wrong with him and gets stressed about going to a doctor. I've had numerous operations so I know how some of the medical system works. I feel bad for him and what the doc might say to him.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Low sperm count with 98% abnormal sperm morphology.
    By ThreePeasPlease in forum Non-IVF fertility assistance
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-03-2013, 11:31
  2. 70 million $$
    By Qwertyman in forum Dads Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-05-2012, 12:22
  3. IVF and the million dollar question?
    By AceOfBase in forum IVF
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28-04-2012, 10:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
WaterWipes
Give your babies bottom a gift this Xmas! They are the only wipe made using just water and a drop of grapefruit seed extract and may help avoid nappy rash. Check out the great reviews on bubhub and see our website for more info and availability.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
TPS Health Physiotherapy and Pilates
TPS Health Physiotherapy and Pilates has three clinics located at Morningside, Redlands and Lutwyche. We offer pre and post natal services as well as physiotherapy and Pilates. All clinics offer child minding services so bubs are always welcome!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!