+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tips for labour/delivery of big babies...

Given I have delivered a 4.32kg bub already this might seem a kind a dumb question but this bub is looking at 4.5kg, I am measuring 5 weeks ahead with fundus. Head and abdo are looking 4 weeks ahead. Given I am 38w5d now so close to full term - this bub is going to be big. I know u/s are not accurate a lot of the time but the weight of my DS, my u/s measurements and my husbands Maori background mean they might be right on the mark.

So - with DS who was unexpectedly big I just did whatever and all went well for the most part - although his labour was longer and much harder then DD who was 3.7kg. Knowing this bub is big I want to do whatever I can to make it easier for myself and to avoid shoulder dystocia (SD). Abdo circ is looking bigger then head circ - indicating big shoulders so any tips would be appreciated. I know to be upright in the labour, try and deliver squatting but to be honest I am not sure I am fit enough to stay upright for the whole labour - i am quite anemic as well so get exhausted easily.

So - please share experiences..normally I would be doing a waterbirth but I have to have him in the main hospital and they have no baths there ( can you believe that!!). Also aiming for another mainly drug free birth ( gas, TENS, shower and calmbirthing...).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope can't bring my own birth pool . I know there is a good chance it (he) is not big but I figure with the weight of DS, my fundal measurements, u/s measurements and the Maori background - odds are not in my favour! The only thing in my favour is I am not very big!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You dont need to stand as such for the whole labour but defo for the pushing, that said upright can mean on the bed on your knees leaning over the back of the bed. My biggest baby was honestly easier to birth than my smallest so big doesnt always mean harder.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are expecting a big baby, my last was 9 pound - we didn't expect that I birthed on my back and tore badly. I have been doing prenatal yoga and discussing with the midwife my concerns. Basically I have the following.. Try not to push, more breath the baby out, it will mean he will come a little slower which will prevent tears. Be upright as much as you can using gravity, lean against the bed, all fours etc... Lay on your left side have your partner hold your right leg up use your hand to feel babies head so you can feel what is happening. Does your hospital have a birth stool you can use instead of squatting?