+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default which private hospital and how much

Hi ladies

I’m not yet pregnant but I’m a massive planner and I’ve been looking into private hospitals and some of the fees I hear about are crazy anywhere between $2000-$6000 so my question is I’m looking at going to Canterbury, Hurstville or St George Private in Sydney I’m looking to get an elective C-section and just wanted to know how much did you pay for your OB and did you get back much from Medicare

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Stacey

I was a planner too. I'm going to a hospital in qld but the concept of what I did would still apply.
    I looked at the doctors who practised at the hospitals I liked. I then narrowed it down and picked my doctor. I then looked at their fees ( the management fees seem to be the biggest cost difference).
    The hospital was covered under my phi so I just looked at my excess.
    I also asked for a rough guide for other costs. I found the best was way to contact them directly.
    If you're havering an elective then correct me if I'm wrong but you could even be able to pick the ane for that, my health fun has a list of dr that ate no gap etc and that they will pay

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not as yet pregnant lol planning to start TTC in October but just didnt know how much I should be pay do you think if I ring now they would tell me a price or do I have to wait till I'm pregnant and then make an appointment

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Staceyj13 View Post
    Hi ladies

I’m not yet pregnant but I’m a massive planner and I’ve been looking into private hospitals and some of the fees I hear about are crazy anywhere between $2000-$6000 so my question is I’m looking at going to Canterbury, Hurstville or St George Private in Sydney I’m looking to get an elective C-section and just wanted to know how much did you pay for your OB and did you get back much from Medicare
    Unfortunately that's how much it costs to go private. It's not cheap. I went to St. George Private hospital. I paid $500 excess, an extra $20-$30 a night for DH to stay with me & my OB cost us almost $4,000-$5,000. You don't get much back really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarSkull View Post
    Unfortunately that's how much it costs to go private. It's not cheap. I went to St. George Private hospital. I paid $500 excess, an extra $20-$30 a night for DH to stay with me & my OB cost us almost $4,000-$5,000. You don't get much back really.
    Omg that's crazy that you had to pay for DH to stay can I ask what OB you had I've been looking into going to st George I know all up it cost heaps to go private but in the end were you happy you did

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Staceyj13 View Post
    Omg that's crazy that you had to pay for DH to stay can I ask what OB you had I've been looking into going to st George I know all up it cost heaps to go private but in the end were you happy you did
    Yep. It's kinda crap.. They do provide breakfast and lunch for him so maybe that's what we're paying for.. Who knows.
    I loved loved LOVED St. George Private hospital. I couldn't wait to have another baby so I could go back. I'm now pregnant with #2 and booked in as soon as I found out I was pregnant.
    The reasons I loved it.
    •My OB was fantastic. She moved heaven and earth to make sure I had the birth I wanted. She was open to having everything as natural as possible. She even changed some of the midwives around for me.
    • There are nice big spas in the labour rooms so you can labour in them.
    • Having a room of your own is awesome. It's like being at home. It's private and a lot more intimate, especially because your partner can stay with you.
    • it also gives you a chance to sleep when baby sleeps instead of listening to other babies and visitors like you do when you share a room.
    • The visiting hours at St. George Private are exactly what you want them to be. They're not too long. Visitors tend to overstay and it's hard when you're trying to bond with bub and establish breastfeeding. Visitors aren't allowed to overstay at St. George Private.
    • This is going to sound lame but the coffee/hot chocolate machine was nice. It was nice to grab a hot choc & coffee with DH and just sit back and relax while bubba slept.
    • The OB checks in on you every day & the midwives check in on you a few times a day.
    • At night if you're really exhausted and haven't slept in days, the midwives can take bubba to a little room where they look after him/her for a few hours so you can get some sleep. They encourage you to use it if you're truly exhausted, especially after labour.
    • The rooms are nice and big.
    • there's a lactation consultant right there so you can go as often as you like to help you breastfeed. She'll also come to your room if you like.

All these things made a huge difference to me. They may not sound like much but it's nice to have all that support around you. Especially with your first baby. I was actually sad to leave the hospital

My OB was Dr Karen Harris.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am 22 weeks and booked in to St George Private! It is the nicest and newest out of the 3 hospitals you have mentioned. My private health insurance covers all my hospital expenses so i am just paying for my OB who is Gregory Davis and out of pocket he is $3200.

I highly recommend him my mum suggested i use him because she is a doctor at st george public and he has the best reputation from all the doctors and all the other OB's have trained under him. Although i am sure they are all great.

Don't forget though if you are going private you also need to pay for all your ultrasounds which are roughly $300 and prenatal classes at st george private are also $300 so it does add up. So far this baby has cost us around 4 grand out of pocket but we have already paid the OB.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm 20 weeks with number 2 and will go back to Hurstville community. We had to pay excess on our PHI ($500) and my OB was $3300 all up (including visits and delivery fee) the spinal block for ceserean was about $1000 after rebate so all up $5000 - I think I got back about $300 for OB not much at all.

I actually hadn't heard good stories about StHeorge private from friends which is why i am staying at Hurstville. It's a smaller hospital and most midwives are employees not casual which I think makes it more personal. I had a few issues with lack of breast feeding support but that was it!!!

PM me if you want OBs details!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok I'm sold lol I'm going to hurstville private I've read heaps on them and they just sound like the best hospital which OB did you use and how much did you pay for management fee I had a look into Dr Trent Miller he sounds really nice

QUOTE=SugarSkull;7176776]Yep. It's kinda crap.. They do provide breakfast and lunch for him so maybe that's what we're paying for.. Who knows.
    I loved loved LOVED St. George Private hospital. I couldn't wait to have another baby so I could go back. I'm now pregnant with #2 and booked in as soon as I found out I was pregnant.
    The reasons I loved it.
    •My OB was fantastic. She moved heaven and earth to make sure I had the birth I wanted. She was open to having everything as natural as possible. She even changed some of the midwives around for me.
    • There are nice big spas in the labour rooms so you can labour in them.
    • Having a room of your own is awesome. It's like being at home. It's private and a lot more intimate, especially because your partner can stay with you.
    • it also gives you a chance to sleep when baby sleeps instead of listening to other babies and visitors like you do when you share a room.
    • The visiting hours at St. George Private are exactly what you want them to be. They're not too long. Visitors tend to overstay and it's hard when you're trying to bond with bub and establish breastfeeding. Visitors aren't allowed to overstay at St. George Private.
    • This is going to sound lame but the coffee/hot chocolate machine was nice. It was nice to grab a hot choc & coffee with DH and just sit back and relax while bubba slept.
    • The OB checks in on you every day & the midwives check in on you a few times a day.
    • At night if you're really exhausted and haven't slept in days, the midwives can take bubba to a little room where they look after him/her for a few hours so you can get some sleep. They encourage you to use it if you're truly exhausted, especially after labour.
    • The rooms are nice and big.
    • there's a lactation consultant right there so you can go as often as you like to help you breastfeed. She'll also come to your room if you like.

All these things made a huge difference to me. They may not sound like much but it's nice to have all that support around you. Especially with your first baby. I was actually sad to leave the hospital

My OB was Dr Karen Harris.[/QUOTE]

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry just read back and your talking about st George private I think Trent miller works at both hurstville and st George