+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default After some advice

My neurologist has suggested once bubs is born (4 weeks time) that I express for night time feeds for DP/Mum to feed bub so I get a full nights sleep. (to prevent seizures)

Ultimately I want to bf til 6 months at least I'm just worried bringing the bottle in will harm my chances of breast feeding at all! (My class said this)!

Some tips please thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not a mum but have heard the medela calma is good for mixed feeding. Haven't used it myself though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    From experience with mixed feeding for me...
    Establish the breast feeding first before introducing a bottle. My bub had bottles after two weeks, they were top up feeds after a breast feed due to her medical condition.
    I'm sure others can give lots of Advice on how to establish breast feeding. But I do have a tip for the bottles. Having been through different ones and advice on teats from a speech therapist and the hospital. Bottles with longer teats, think slimline bottles and teats like pigeon peristaltic/Medela calma and the 'old fashioned' longer ones you get are the best for mxed feeding. They mimic breast feeding much better than the shorter teats (thinks closer to nature and Avent) and are softer and less work for bub. Especially good if bub has any difficulty feeding, however, I do have plenty of friends who have used the shorter style with no problems.
    Honestly, my bub never had trouble mixed feeding from two weeks old. I did establish breast feeding and had no problems with that at all so I might have just been a lucky one. I also always offered the breast first before bottles. Once that was established my DH could give her a bottle no worries, and she would breast feed from me no problems.
    Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You will need to establish your supply to start with, and those night feeds are important for that. I suggest getting a really good pump (I had a medela and it was hopeless, I now use a spectra s2 Hosp grade double pump- fantastic!) what is the minimum sleep your dr recommends? It will be tricky to wean off the night feeds all at once- you will need to drop one at a time for a few days, then another (depending on how many feeds you're doing overnight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    You will need to establish your supply to start with, and those night feeds are important for that. I suggest getting a really good pump (I had a medela and it was hopeless, I now use a spectra s2 Hosp grade double pump- fantastic!) what is the minimum sleep your dr recommends? It will be tricky to wean off the night feeds all at once- you will need to drop one at a time for a few days, then another (depending on how many feeds you're doing overnight.
    They haven't exactly said how much sleep I should get. I'm 35 weeks atm and i can't sleep lately (up multiple times, not getting into the full sleep mode). I am usually okay on about 7 hours I have an electric pump aventi but I wasn't sure it was good or good enough yet! I will aim to breast feed as much as possible then introduce a bottle.

ATM i have some glass bottles with "varied flow" it says but I will buy different ones if needed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You may be at risk of loosing your supply if you don't pump at the times you would usually be feeding.
    So even if bubs is having a bottle of EBM you don't want to just leave your boobs full at that time as your body won't keep producing - so I'm not sure about sleeping through the night from day one?
    Maybe speak to a lactation consultant?

Remember your body makes as much as it thinks the baby needs

Mummy to DD 21 months
    Lola kitty
    DS due July 2013

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you cosleep? Not sure if that's safe with any medication you may be taking etc but I cosleep and bub is 6 months old, still feeds through the night every 3 hours, I just pop her on the boob and go straight back to sleep. I tried having her in her cot in the nursery and feeding her in the rocking chair, it's terrible lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Once she is born and we are home i'm going to get a LC the lady at my course from the hospital basically said make an appointment which I found to be useless (JMO). DP isn't very keen on co sleeping as he is a heavy sleeper and so am i

The tips you have given are great so far though! I will definetly attempt to establish feeding first and I understand the pumping afterwards lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Monnie just a mention but your supply may be affected if you aren't feeding or expressing during the night and you will get horribly engorged - you will probably need to either pump during the night, or feed baby, or maybe feed baby and someone else settle? Or whatever solution is most practical and best for your health... Maybe you can do an 11pm or so feed and then pump at 5am or opposite... Newborns do feed lots. I would suggest co sleeping to maximise sleep but I imagine that would be am absolute no no where there is risk of seizures.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Monnie just a mention but your supply may be affected if you aren't feeding or expressing during the night and you will get horribly engorged - you will probably need to either pump during the night, or feed baby, or maybe feed baby and someone else settle? Or whatever solution is most practical and best for your health... Maybe you can do an 11pm or so feed and then pump at 5am or opposite... Newborns do feed lots. I would suggest co sleeping to maximise sleep but I imagine that would be am absolute no no where there is risk of seizures.
    We have already discussed DP settling after I feed and he has no probs with that!! I'm prob bit too scared to co sleep due to my epilepsy! I think I'm just going to have to put more manna naps into my day!