+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Hypoplasia/ IGT (insufficient glandular tissue)

any mums out there have this and how did you go with giving bub the extra milk they need?
    Did you have to topup all during the day or just at the end of the day?
    Did you manage to use ebm or chose to use formula?
    As bubs began to take more solids did you continue to breastfeed as there milk needs decreased?
    a think i have a degree of this but my normal GP says i don't; just slightly lower supply

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, I have hypoplasia of the breast and unfortunately I had to turn to bottlefeding completely as I was unable to keep going. I am pregnant with my 5th child now and will bottle feed him also

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pawzette For This Useful Post:

PinkPopsicle  (22-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pretty sure I have this. At 6 days old, exclusively breast fed, we were readmitted to hospital because ds had lost 17% of his birth weight.

I tried everything after that to boost my supply, but nothing worked exactally. I was on motillium, fenugreek, drinking water like a fish, made lactation cookies, feeding on demand or 3 hrs-whichever was first, and expressing after each feed. 24/7 until he was 4mnths old. By then, I may have achieved one ebm bottle feed a day (around 100mls) ...on a good day.

He went through breast refusal at 4 months, but I continued expressing til he was 6mnths, every 3 hrs during the days.

Basically, I bf, toped up on ebm, in a syringe in the early days each feed, as id only get maybe 7 ml ebm after each feed, and it wasn't worth putting in a bottle.... A he got older I saved the ebm up all day and gabe out to him in a bottle once I had around 60-80 ml. Then id offer formula until he was finished.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

PinkPopsicle  (22-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. I have IGT/Hypoplasia. With DD1 I did the whole breastfeed, formula feed, express routine to begin with, but moving house at 3 weeks and again at 7 weeks made it difficult to keep up with - while I continued to breastfeed before every formula feed, I wasn't always able to express. I took motillium and gave kup breastfeeding at 3 months - at which point her formula intake barely increased. I am now 31 weeks with DD2 and I have seen a teeny tiny change in one breast (which is more than I had last time) so that is slightly encouraging - I am booked in to see a massage therapist who developed a form of massage that can help do something (haven't been yet, so not quite sure) - I think unblock ducts and stimulate bits and pieces. I have purchased a new electric pump and have the LC's at my hospital on board with my plans (at my previous hospital, most of the midwives and even some of the LCs had not experienced IGT and just assumed it was a case of supply/demand).
    I know there is a good chance that I will never be able to exclusively breastfeed. but I am more educated and experienced this time round and plan to attempt to continue to breastfeed for at least 6 months even if it means supplementing at every feed (in fact, my 4.5yo is hoping this is the case, so she can help to "milk" the baby ). I know that some breastmilk is better than none and I think going into it prepared for this scenario will help deal with the situation mentally and all my support people (husband, Mum, best friend etc) are aware that this is what i plan on doing - so heaven help them if any of them suggest I give up

Edit: Oh, and I'll be taking motillium form day 2 (rather than day 10) and I already have a pack of fenugreek tea in the cupboard and lactation cookie-batter in the freezer

Edit 2: Also!! I bought a book called "Making More Milk" which is awesome. It helps explain all the known causes of low milk supply, what you can do for different scenarios and how to deal with emotional and other problems. I have put so many post its in my copy its ridiculous
    Last edited by evierose; 02-04-2013 at 13:42. Reason: additional information that may be hlepful to others

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for your replies ladies. Not entirely sure still what it is, but will battle through anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks missiemack. My normal LC said nothing about igt, but this you-beaut doc said she thinks it may be a factor but didn't say conclusively. my dd also has an upper lip tie which may have affected things, but as dd is now nearly 5mths and was 4mths exclusively breastfe its really not worth snipping to have her re-learn to feed. We started a small top-up bottle of ebm in the evening for a week then moved straight to solids in the evening. Now if we give ebm and no solids she doesn't settle well etc so she really does need them now.
    I just wanted to feed my bub without the bother of expressing, topping up etc etc and the first 4mths were perfect...until i weighed her and got kinda pushed into topping her up with ebm
    oh well, we're all happy with her having solids now at night, will just try not to introduce the second meal until closer to 6mths
    with the shape of the breasts, i'm a surgical nurse and have seen hypoplastic breasts and i do not have that shape at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I also thought I may have this but my breasts, though on the small side, do not look anything like the hypoplastic ones that I saw on the website (can't remember the name now). But when I pumped out everytime I get only 30-40ml. It's the same as when I had my DS1.

I think if this is the case, if I want to 100% BF, my bub will probably be drinking round the clock to get enough.

My case is a little different cos I had gestational diabetes and this bub ended up with low sugar and had to be on formula to bring his sugar up when he was born. So with all this factors, I ended up 100% bottle feeding when he was about 4 months.

Oh and my hospital LC was unhelpful. She doesnt even know much about hypoplasia when I asked her and she told me to do my best but if it didnt work out, just accept it and give formula. It's not the end of the world.