+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Laproscopy or HSG dye test- Costs associated

Hi everybody,

I have been a silent reader of this forum for a while now.I have been diagnosed with PCOS. Have been on Clomid 100gm for three months and it has got me ovulating bang on the 16th day.In our last meeting with the FS he advised us to continue with clomid for 2 more cycles and if we do not fall pregnant then next stage will be laproscopy to check if there is a problem with the fallopian tube. Just wanted to check if there is any other non surgical procedure.Heard about the HSG dye test.Should we ask the FS if we can do this instead of laproscopy. Also wanted to know what costs I am looking at if we have to do laproscopy in melbourne.We have Private health insurance (standard hospital cover) so guess it should cover some part.Still wondering how much we are looking at out of pocket expenses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi there, i too suffer PCOS and endometriosis, i have had 4x laproscopies, one done in public hospital, one when i first got private health but wasnt covered due to pre exsisting and within the first 6mths, so that operation cost me $8,000, my next two laproscopies have been done under private health, the out of pocket that i have paid, is my excess and anaethist bill which can vary between $200 and $900 (which is what the anaethist told me to expect, however both times only charged about$250 for anaethist) so out of pocket was a total of $450. best thing to do is ring your private health (im with medibank and have a high level)

in nov last year i had the HSG done, now in SA not sure where your from or whether they do it too but i would ask, i had mine done at bensons radiology (only a few places in adelaide actually do it), you are awake the whole time, you are told to take panadol before hand, i took panadiene forte, you undress from waist down, then lie on the table, they inject the dye into your uterus whilst taking multiple xrays which shows the dye entering the uterus and going into the follipan tubes, now for me this is the most painful thing i have ever imagined, i asked them to stop, but they couldnt. when i got home i even rung the FS and she said to go straight to hosp, but i refused and went to my gp instead, and he was shocked i had done this with no anaesthic, i was in severe pain for bout 3xdays, however in saying that everyone is different, other people i have spoken to about this had no pain what so ever, i personally think i may of had a reaction to the iodine... my tubes were clear, and was also told this procedure alone can SOMETIMES help fall preg as its given your uterus and tubes a flush... i have been ttc for 6-8yrs i dont always ovulate

in january this year my gp then put me on 100mg clomid, and also took a dose in feb and am finally pregnant.

never give up!!!!

a laproscopy is also good as they can have a good look at all your girly parts, with my laps they have also done hysteroscopies, cystoscopies and D&Cs so they have looked at everything and removed my endo multiple times, and its also a piece of mind to know that everything does and doesnt look how it should and what if needed needs to be fixed

i hope i have been helpful, if you have any questions, either post on here or pm me im happy to help (sorry for the essay)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie86 View Post
    hi there, i too suffer PCOS and endometriosis, i have had 4x laproscopies, one done in public hospital, one when i first got private health but wasnt covered due to pre exsisting and within the first 6mths, so that operation cost me $8,000, my next two laproscopies have been done under private health, the out of pocket that i have paid, is my excess and anaethist bill which can vary between $200 and $900 (which is what the anaethist told me to expect, however both times only charged about$250 for anaethist) so out of pocket was a total of $450. best thing to do is ring your private health (im with medibank and have a high level)

in nov last year i had the HSG done, now in SA not sure where your from or whether they do it too but i would ask, i had mine done at bensons radiology (only a few places in adelaide actually do it), you are awake the whole time, you are told to take panadol before hand, i took panadiene forte, you undress from waist down, then lie on the table, they inject the dye into your uterus whilst taking multiple xrays which shows the dye entering the uterus and going into the follipan tubes, now for me this is the most painful thing i have ever imagined, i asked them to stop, but they couldnt. when i got home i even rung the FS and she said to go straight to hosp, but i refused and went to my gp instead, and he was shocked i had done this with no anaesthic, i was in severe pain for bout 3xdays, however in saying that everyone is different, other people i have spoken to about this had no pain what so ever, i personally think i may of had a reaction to the iodine... my tubes were clear, and was also told this procedure alone can SOMETIMES help fall preg as its given your uterus and tubes a flush... i have been ttc for 6-8yrs i dont always ovulate

in january this year my gp then put me on 100mg clomid, and also took a dose in feb and am finally pregnant.

never give up!!!!

a laproscopy is also good as they can have a good look at all your girly parts, with my laps they have also done hysteroscopies, cystoscopies and D&Cs so they have looked at everything and removed my endo multiple times, and its also a piece of mind to know that everything does and doesnt look how it should and what if needed needs to be fixed

i hope i have been helpful, if you have any questions, either post on here or pm me im happy to help (sorry for the essay)

Thanks Andie86 for all the information. $8000 dollar looks like a big amount.But since i have PI and I am already outside the waiting period I am hoping it will cover some costs.I am in geelong and with BUPA for PHI.
    The HSG test looks a bit painful but if it has to be done it as to be done.Once again thanks for the info.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mpp For This Useful Post:

Andie86  (22-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got the test it was $490 in sydney. It depends on the person I took 2 naprogesic before hand as suggested. It is uncomfortable and it hurt a little when inserting the dye but it was over fairly quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The HSG test cost me $350 in Canberra. I didn't have any pain relief beforehand and i had cramps during the test and could then feel the dye go through. It wasn't the most comfortable thing I've done, but it wasn't too bad as it didn't last that long. It showed I have a slightly weird shaped uterus but also showed my tubes were clear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophs View Post
    The HSG test cost me $350 in Canberra. I didn't have any pain relief beforehand and i had cramps during the test and could then feel the dye go through. It wasn't the most comfortable thing I've done, but it wasn't too bad as it didn't last that long. It showed I have a slightly weird shaped uterus but also showed my tubes were clear.
    $350 for dye test looks okay , but was looking for costs for laproscopy incase it comes to that.In what range will the costs be? Any idea?