+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I remember when I was pregnant with DS most of our friends knew the name we'd chosen. A girlfriend of one of those friends said "I just hate the name XXXX, that's a name for a dog!".

Well, everyone that knew that we'd chosen to use that name looked at me straight away. I just raised an eyebrow and changed the subject. Afterwards the friend apologised to me but I didn't really take offence. She didn't know what we'd chosen. And she probably felt like a right prat when her boyfriend told her later on that it was the name we'd picked lmao.

I don't understand why it's ok to insult someone's choices before the baby is born. I mean, it's still the baby's name. It's just that the baby isn't out yet. Do they really think that them airing their opinion is going to make you change your mind and pick a name that THEY think is more suitable?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think people feel there's still the opportunity to sway the name choice.

I've told several people their name choices are awful before the kid was born, only one went ahead with the hideous name.

I think it can help to bounce names off people, I did it with online friends and we saved telling offline friends and family until they were born, so it would be a surprise and no arguments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, everyone will have a different opinion, you won't find a name that everyone loves. As long as you love it, who cares.
    Last edited by MummaOJ; 22-03-2013 at 13:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would stick with the name you love. Everyone else can shove it. You can't please them all.

DFs mum is very opinionated so I'm planning on (if she asks) telling her we really love the name Agnus, Bernadette, Merryl and Charlotte

Charlotte is the only one on our short list out of them but my theory is she will hate all the other less used and old fashioned names so much the name we have chosen will be welcomed with excitement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeWithLove View Post
    I would stick with the name you love. Everyone else can shove it. You can't please them all.

DFs mum is very opinionated so I'm planning on (if she asks) telling her we really love the name Agnus, Bernadette, Merryl and Charlotte

Charlotte is the only one on our short list out of them but my theory is she will hate all the other less used and old fashioned names so much the name we have chosen will be welcomed with excitement.
    I love your theory! 3 hideous names and the one you like - I'm gonna steal that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Candiceo View Post
    I love your theory! 3 hideous names and the one you like - I'm gonna steal that
    Your welcome to steal it. Lol. Its kinda gold. Plus I love the idea of her thinking that we are seriously considering all sorts of whacked out names. Maybe I will throw in Rainbow or Honey-boo as well?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have not told anyone what we are calling this bub, that way no one can share their opinion on it

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We are keeping this babies name a secret but I told my mum we are naming her Poppy Lilly Ivy Daisey Iris Rose. I just blurted out as many flower names as I could think of on the spot. Since then she has been occasionally randomly referring to my baby as Lilly Rose...which wont be the babies name. I have told her not to get attached to that name cos its not the name at all. She assures me she is just playing along.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gah I feel for you. I like sharing stuff too but we kept quiet about our names. People just can't help giving you their (unwanted) opinion.

Stick with the name. I think you'll regret it if you don't. Naming a child is such a special thing - it's noone else's job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a good friend who laughed in my face when I told her a couple of choices for my ds name. She laughed at the one we actually were going to use. It upset me heaps at the time but dh and I loved the name so stuck with it.

I think it's so rude when people comment on names when u tell them it's what u have chosen. So rude!! If your asking an opinion different story.
    Why do people think its ok? I have had people tell me names they love and in my head I don't like it for ME but for them they love the name so it's great for THEM.
    People p me off sometimes!