+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have a feeling that a lot of people didn't realise last election that a vote for the greens was effectively a vote for labor due to distribution of preferences.

As I said - the coalition got more of the primary vote - but labor got more of the two party preferred.

I get the feeling that the greens will lose a lot more votes this election.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    I have a feeling that a lot of people didn't realise last election that a vote for the greens was effectively a vote for labor due to distribution of preferences.

As I said - the coalition got more of the primary vote - but labor got more of the two party preferred.

I get the feeling that the greens will lose a lot more votes this election.
    But backs to beebs' point. I think she meant the liberal party alone, not coalition.

I find it funny that people have mocked the independents and greens siding with labor saying they didn't win the election in their own right, but every time the libs take office, it is only with the support of other parties.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-03-2013),Maybelline  (22-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Well I decided today this little black duck is voting greens! They have become so much more than just a party for 'hippies', and are very a much grass roots labor, and where labor is drifting from.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My post got eaten

I think the original point beebs was trying to make is that the liberal party would not be able to form government alone.

I find it interesting that when this minority government first formed, people were criticising the fact that they didn't get in in their own right, but the liberals never would either.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If the system you're talking about was in place then people would vote differently. Those who vote Nationals know their vote goes towards the Coalition. If that was no longer the case, it would change their motivation for voting that way.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (22-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    What annoys me is now the Greens have backed away from supporting labor (and with due cause), the libs still have the nat's helping them. labor have no hope.

But I saw an interview with the leader of the Greens tonight and she said clearly she won't be backing the libs in this election to see all the hard work addressing policy from the Gonski report fly out the window. That's at least one small mercy.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-03-2013),dancingchipmunk  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    What annoys me is now the Greens have backed away from supporting labor (and with due cause), the libs still have the nat's helping them. labor have no hope.

But I saw an interview with the leader of the Greens tonight and she said clearly she won't be backing the libs in this election to see all the hard work addressing policy from the Gonski report fly out the window. That's at least one small mercy.
    Who are they going to support then?

and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post

I don't think the reason that Labor has no hope this election is due to the Greens backing away. I think it's to do with how their governing has panned out over this term. The way their governing has panned out is the whole reason the Greens have backed away from lending them their support.

As Lambjam as said, the libs and nats have always been in coalition. (Well in the recent history of the type of government we now have). A lot of seats with Nationals in don't have lib representatives, because while the two parties work a bit differently with different aims and priorities, they work together. A big example of this is in WA with how Brendon Grills has worked with the libs (who are in power) to dish out the royalties for regions. The Nationals have a different slant, but have common links to the Libs

I think the Greens have realised how different their priorities are to Labors priorities.

In years gone past, Labor has governed in their own right without the Greens, when their policies are the ones the public wants, they will govern in their own right again.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (22-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    Who are they going to support then?
    I think the Green members are encouraged to choose to give their preferences to the member in their area who is closest to representing the same policies they do. It won't necessarily be the one or same party. Same as the independents.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (22-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moosey View Post
    This type of politics infuriates me...but if Tony Abbot becomes our Prime Minister, I'll have to move to New Zealand!
    Haha I'll join the exodus!

Good on JG to put an end to his nonsense. Not a fan of SC. And too bad this issue took the attention away from the important and much needed forced adoption apology.