+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think the parents should be made financially responsible for the kids in this context. There are many parents out there trying to stop and help their children, why should they also be punished? Like redlips said, youth who commit crime generally don't give two hoots if their parents have to pay, it won't make them stop and think 'oh dear, mum and/or dad will have to pay for this. Better not do it'.

I'm a big fan of boot camps. I personally think they are great. They should be fully funded, as a lot of parents may not be able to afford it otherwise. My reason for fully funding them? It would save bucket loads of money down the track. If these kids have intervention early they may end up going down a completely different path in life, not in and out of jail which costs way to much and pretty much will continue their life of crime.

A way of making them responsible for their actions financially could be to garnish their wages/centrelink pay once they turn 18.

JMO

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-03-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (21-03-2013),PurpleButterfly4  (21-03-2013),sunnyflower  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingchipmunk View Post
    I don't think the parents should be made financially responsible for the kids in this context. There are many parents out there trying to stop and help their children, why should they also be punished? Like redlips said, youth who commit crime generally don't give two hoots if their parents have to pay, it won't make them stop and think 'oh dear, mum and/or dad will have to pay for this. Better not do it'.

I'm a big fan of boot camps. I personally think they are great. They should be fully funded, as a lot of parents may not be able to afford it otherwise. My reason for fully funding them? It would save bucket loads of money down the track. If these kids have intervention early they may end up going down a completely different path in life, not in and out of jail which costs way to much and pretty much will continue their life of crime.

A way of making them responsible for their actions financially could be to garnish their wages/centrelink pay once they turn 18.

JMO

Oh boot camps is a good idea and garnishing the wages/centrelink may make them think twice. That sounds great but what of the parents who sit on FB and online games all day while their child offends again and again surely they should be punished at some point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    How do we determine which parents are playing games all day and which ones are actively trying? (or MHI issues etc)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (21-03-2013),beebs  (22-03-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Teens need to be taught there are consequences for their actions that they have to endure. Punishing the parents is not only stupid, it's making others accountable for their actions, and a very dangerous lesson for them to learn imo. They will learn they can do wrong, and everyone else gets blamed. Where is the lesson in that?

That would be like someone who has their car stolen, be fined and sent to court bc they should have had a car alarm.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (21-03-2013),beebs  (22-03-2013),Busy-Bee  (21-03-2013),dancingchipmunk  (21-03-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (21-03-2013),shelle65  (21-03-2013),sweetseven  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Oh boot camps is a good idea and garnishing the wages/centrelink may make them think twice. That sounds great but what of the parents who sit on FB and online games all day while their child offends again and again surely they should be punished at some point.
    So now other siblings must pay financially by not being able to do a sport bc their brother or sister did the wrong thing? Again, you are promoting that others take the responsibility and fall out from their actions.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (21-03-2013),beebs  (22-03-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    But it still does come down to individuals being held accountable for their own actions/choices. I agree there are some parents who have either never cared or have just given up. So how about including them, not in the boot camp (although that may actually help some!) But making it a requirement to attend parenting courses and the like. The same 'payment' could apply. Not to the extent delirium is talking about, a very valid point though as it could, and a lot of the time is, the case that one child is committing the crime but the whole family should not have to financially suffer!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-03-2013),Busy-Bee  (21-03-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I would definitely support parenting classes to help parents deal with problematic and anti social behaviour. But as a source of info and support, not as a punitive measure.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Benji  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely delirium.

I guess there lies the problem, if the child was continually getting into trouble and it's obvious the parents need help I can understand them becoming hostile to said help if it was forced upon them. But I guess that's part of the problem. If parenting classes were to happen they need to be presented to the parents in a way that is in no way judging, just a helping hand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The system gives parents very little power to control their children, but still wants to lump them with all the responsibility. This is just wrong.

I know of a youth that his parents tried to have him admitted to a mental hospital but they were refused, being told he hadn't done anything bad enough yet. Then when he did do something bad enough, he spent the next 16 months in prison whilst the authorities were trying to decide whether to charge him through the normal court system or the mental health court system.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Patenting classes won't do sh!t to help with a teenager that is already disobeying the law. If they already have no regard for the law, their parents certainly won't get anywhere by doing a few short parenting courses. It would be a case of A. the parent needed these courses before the child went off the rails which, in the case of a punishment for your child commiting a crime, is too little too late or B. it's a child commiting a crime because they have been led by their peers, in which case their parents have somewhat lost control of them already and no parenting course will help that.