+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Have you had to settle on a name you're not 100% happy with?

Bub #2 is due in around 4 weeks, and DH and I are having so much trouble with names. There isn't anything we love, and the few names (boy or girl) we agree on are 'just ok'. We love DS's name, so it doesn't seem right naming another baby with something we don't love as much as his name. The more I look for names the more I dislike everything though

So I'm wondering if anyone has settled on a name they weren't 100% happy with, and if so, did you grow to love it?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We sort of settled on a name before DD was born and I was not in love with the name. DD was born and she didn't look like the Name we picked. I suggested a name we had never even discussed and that was it I adore her name.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

Disbride  (25-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We didn't settle on a name but I just wanted to reply to let you know that we were in the exact same position with dd2 we still didn't have a name we loved when I went into labour. When she was 3 days old we went through all the names we had thought were ok and for each one looked at the name then the baby to see what fit her. We ended up picking one we loved which suited her perfectly which was previously an "ok name".
    Don't know If that helps at all but just wanted to let you know from someone who was in the same position

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashram For This Useful Post:

scarymarygoldfish  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It took me over a year to really fall in love with DS2's name... Now I just adore it and am so incredibly glad we called him what we did!
    I feel bad at the moment as I can't think of a name for DD2 (due in 12 days!) that I loooooove quite as much as DD1's name!
    Last edited by faroutbrusselsprout; 20-03-2013 at 15:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I liked DD2's name well enough, but I didn't loooove it. Well, now I actually love it even more than DD1's name!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. My last baby.

After having my 3rd child I fell in love with the name Oliver and was sad I would never get to use it (we had decided on no more babies). However I went on to have two more boys but DH isn't a fan of Oliver so I didn't get to use it. It took us 5 days to name DS3 and in the end I just agreed to a name that we both kind of liked, but didn't love. I think DS3 was around 8 weeks old before I could actually use his name because it just didn't feel right

I still don't love it and I hate the flow of it with the surname but what's done is done!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No ... I nearly did though - but then exH and I split up before bub was born so I got to pick his name all by myself

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep. DS1's middle name. I HATE that name. I have for years and years. Unfortunately it's DH's father's name and because of that DH wouldn't budge on it no matter how much I resented and hated it.

I still really dislike the name. I wish I didn't have to use it and it makes me cross that he refused to accept that I didn't want to hate anything about my son's name. But in the end I gave up because he flat out wasn't going to let it go. It caused many heated arguments (to the point of "Well if I leave you I can name him whatever I want... Do you want THAT?!" lol) but in the end I had to relent.

It did help me that DH suggested that I try to focus associating the name with FIL rather than the half dozen @-holes that I've known in my life with that name. I love my FIL to death and he's a really wonderful man so that has certainly helped me to accept it. But it still makes me p!ssy when I think about it *grump*.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the replies everyone. I'm really hoping if we have to pick a name we don't love we will grow to love it. I just feel such a huge responsibility to find the perfect name. We will definately have to meet bub before making a final decision, so I don't expect to have settled on something before he/she is born.

What's most frustrating is that I have a boys name I love that DH won't use and we have a girls name we love that we can't use with our surname. I think that makes everything else feel like second best iykwim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm possibly going to have this problem with our bub. We are having a boy, and although I like the name we will most likely use, its not really what I thought I would name my child. I wanted something really original, it has always been my intention to give my child a name that they would probably not have to share with anyone else.
    But so far, the only name we both like and agree on is around number 40 in the top 100 and although I do like it, I don't like that it's fairly common and I really wish I could come up with something better, but I'm just so stuck for ideas...