+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default breastfeeding routines?

this is my 2nd bub but 1st time successfully breastfeeding.
    im wondering if breastfed babies ever fall into a 'feeding routine'. For example: formula fed babies have 120ml bottles every 4hrs.
    Do breastfed babies start to feed on a schedule? maybe once supply is established?

My bub is 11 weeks and our feeds are pretty much all over the place still. i demand feed and he's feeding anywhere from 2-2.5hrs. Cluster feeds and i comfort feed him. Goes 8-9hrs o/night occasionally wakes once.

I had a friend who stopped breastfeeding because she couldnt deal with the "non-routine' feeds. She liked the sound of bub feeding every 4hrs, knowing the are full after that bottle and dont need another bottle untill the clock says so. She was a routine freak and craved routine. So she switched to formula.

This all probably sounds stupid, im just so used to formula feeding, as i did with my first baby and breastfeeding is soooo different!
    To me, It seems that baby does all the work to make sure there is enough milk for him and you just have to let him go for it.
    What are breastfed babies feeding scheduals like when they are older like 10mths plus?? or when ur introducing solids?
    It's just so different and i havent got my head around it yet.
    Last edited by Little Miss Muffet; 20-03-2013 at 12:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks missie mack, and what is cluster feeding? ds doesnt really do it? or maybe he does. i dont know. is it like little feeds inbetween bigger feeds? if yes, then he will do that. sometimes just grazes/snacks.....?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was breastfed until 10 months (when she self-weaned) and put herself into a 3 hourly routine. For the first few weeks she was cluster feeding from 5-10pm ish, but the rest of the time was pretty much 3 hourly from birth. I demand fed also, and found it was the 3 hour mark that she would scream hysterically at me... apparently STARVING!

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi littlemissmuffet, I demand fed my children and they loosely made a three hourly schedule. I never heard of cluster feeding, but now I know it is constant feeding, swapping sides, for maybe an hour or two. It builds up supply and mostly only happens in the early days, or the odd growth spurt. Dont get too concerned with a routine, let baby feed how he wants, when solids are introduced he will adjust. Marie.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Muffet  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I have fed all 6 of mine on demand.
    When I introduce solids I give that first and offer milk later.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I bf'd my DD until she was 18 months and she didn't fall into a routine (can you call perma-feeding a routine? ). My first (DS) was more ff'd as well and the difference is amazing. He was more content and fell into his own routine, where as DD was just all over the place every day. I think it's one of those things that some bf'd babies will and some wont.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it depends on the child. DD basically fed 3-4 hourly from birth (around the clock) and continued that until 11 mths when we gently convinced her to drop one of her night feeds. DS is now 4 mths and will feed anywhere from 2-4 hourly during the day and little longer at night. Both fully breastfed/demand fed, but DD definitely fell into a"routine" earlier

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS2 has pretty much put himself in to his own routine already of roughly 3hrs, but cluster feeds between 4-8pm.

Don't be fooled in to thinking ff babies always stick to an exact routine. Many also demand feeds before the 'set' time is up - every baby is different no matter how they are getting their milk.

As annoying as it can be in the first few months (I'm not afraid to admit it!), just remind yourself of the amazing benefits you are giving your bub with b/f. It doesn't last forever and one day you will really miss the b/f cuddles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD3 is 15 weeks and through the day feeds 1.5-2 hourly. Sometimes with a longer break.
    I don't think BF should be about routine although sometimes it would be nice to be consistent!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsOhara For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Muffet  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ff ds#1. Ds#2 is bf on demand at the moment. 7week old.
    I miss the routine of ff.
    But I find if I'm eating enough during the day then feeds are 3-4hrs. If I'm not then he feeds hourly.
    He is doing that to10pm most nights then back to 2-4hourly for the night.
    We have a basic routine. He is predictable if not routine by the clock.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie Stackedhouse For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (20-03-2013)