+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Mine still comes home and we have convos on the way home in the car etc, just an hour and a bit later. He's an only child, so probably a bit different as he gets a lot out of OSHC as he has his little friends there to play with and watch movies (tough life, isn't it?)

I'm planning, hopefully in the next month, to work hours 9-3 at home. Eliminating OSHC costs, vacation care costs etc whilst still earning at least some income.

I think for a lot being a SAHM while kids are in school would be very beneficial. My personality though.. I would go stir crazy. So it depends on what level of adult company you need, what kinds of stimulation you need. I'd sit down with a pen and paper and work out the pros and cons

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks Nemmy, that's really helpful to hear your experience.

All the best with your decision making too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Mine still comes home and we have convos on the way home in the car etc, just an hour and a bit later. He's an only child, so probably a bit different as he gets a lot out of OSHC as he has his little friends there to play with and watch movies (tough life, isn't it?)

I'm planning, hopefully in the next month, to work hours 9-3 at home. Eliminating OSHC costs, vacation care costs etc whilst still earning at least some income.

I think for a lot being a SAHM while kids are in school would be very beneficial. My personality though.. I would go stir crazy. So it depends on what level of adult company you need, what kinds of stimulation you need. I'd sit down with a pen and paper and work out the pros and cons
    Thanks Benji

Good luck with your change too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Benji  (20-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I have one child in year 2 and another in kindy 5 days a fortnight at the same school. I also have a 2 year old. I work for myself the 5 days a fortnight DD2 is at kindy. I do drop offs and pick ups every day, and volunteer in the canteen and do reading at school. Where we live there are quite a lot of jobs working only school hours apparently not that I've looked for them.

I have to only work school hours as we have no family and while DD1 would be fine in after school care DD2 wouldn't cope very well. If the kids are sick I don't work.

It's a juggle but honestly it's worth it to me. While there's always something to do at school I personally need more than just that. And it's not enough to keep me occupied every day. Schools can also be by cliquy so I like to drop in and out as I want to so I don't get too hung up on the politics.

My mother worked when we were kids so I always had that as a role model. It seemed hard after being at home for 2 years but I'm glad I have the choice to work on my terms.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (20-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds was in 5 day a week Kinder last year (rare here in Vic - he was a Private School kinder) and I thought it was a good mix for me to work part-time but I was able to get to most drop off's & pick ups and I was able to go on some excursions and I got to go into class a bit (eg. taking my dd in for a bath - the kids loved it!).

But, now my ds is in Prep (1st year of school in Vic) and heck, it's SO hard! This first term has particularly been difficult and time will tell if it gets easier, but I think it probably won't get a lot easier until next year at least. There's been an info session/meeting/excursion at least once a week, sometimes 2 - 3 things a week, each for 1 - 2 hours at a time, but that's really hard with work & a small toddler. And they want help with reading, but I just can't spare the time, much to my annoyance. That is all without issues around homework, catching up with the teacher, finding time to buy school uniforms (shop only open 2 afternoons a week!), and of course time/energy to organise school lunches & laundry (eik, the terrors of only 2 sets of school uniform!).

Anyway, my point is that the thought of working full time for the first time with a Prep child just fills me with dread. Part-time is do-able, but I think full time work potentially for the first time in a while would be SUPER hard. My ds is currently sick with a cold and he didn't look 100% this morning but we had no option other than school. I am self-employed so I can't just take the day off when I've got meeting planned all morning. Thankfully I'm not working for the next 2 days so ds who was worse tonight will get his 2 days of rest at home to get back to 100% well .

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (21-03-2013)