+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Deciding whether to go back to work when youngest is school age

So as not to send the other thread off track, I thought I would start a new one.

I always assumed I would go back to work when my youngest starts school in 2015, but lately I have been realising that there would be a lot of benefit to me being 'at home'.

On one hand the extra income would be appreciated (well, what would be left anyway lol!) and it would be so nice to do something that was 'mine'.

On the other hand, I would love to be the one that is there for *those* conversations on the way home from school, for my kids to come home to their own house to do their homework etc. I would love to be able to do reading etc at their school and I am sure I would fill in the time very easily. As their life gets busier so does mine anyway.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I want to do this too. Financially I have to generate some income though, but am working on a self employed, flexible situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What about working part time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    I managed to find a job that fitted in with school hours before dd2 was born. I enjoyed getting out of the house and the extra interaction I had with grown ups. I intend on doing the same when dd2 is in school, if not sooner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, part time is always an option. But even with part time work I feel like it still be tricky in our situation. We have no family back up here, so would be totally relying on after school care etc, DH works an hour away so it would be up to me to cover sick leave due to the kids as well.

I'm sure none of it is insurmountable, I'm just thinking of the flow on effect to our kids and family. I know a lot of people do it and make it work, but I can see how it would potentially make my kids more tired and disrupted than I would like them to be.

Just thinking it all through really, and I'm keen to hear others thoughts on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    I managed to find a job that fitted in with school hours before dd2 was born. I enjoyed getting out of the house and the extra interaction I had with grown ups. I intend on doing the same when dd2 is in school, if not sooner.
    A school hours job would be great! I keep hearing about how rare they are though. Do you mind sharing which industry you work in? I understand if you would rather not for privacy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Working with a child or children in school is haaaaard, even if you find one of those elusive school-hours jobs. I found it much harder than working with DD in daycare. There are so many more tricky logistical issues, much more rigid starting and finishing times, and much more expectations of parents (ok let's be real - of mums). There are so many things they put pressure on you to attend or help out with, and you feel the most terrible guilt that your child is always the one without a parent watching assembly or helping with an excursion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm planning on working two days a week. A think that gives a good balance between being there for the kids but also getting some extra income.

And I guess most parents just have to stay home from work if their child is sick and can't go to school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shelle, I agree that school etc rely heavily on the volunteer efforts of parents. As a parent I would kind of like the chance to stick my head in on what is going on in my kids school life too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm in a similar position but I already work part time so I always thought I'd go back to full time when my youngest starts school in 2015. But since my eldest started school three years ago I now realise that life is so busy already that I just don't think I'll be able to fit in full time work with both of my daughter's school commitments, after school activities, their homework, my housework, etc.
    I think working part time is a good fit though. It still allows you to have those adult conversations but you still have days where you can take part in some school activities, pick them up from school, help with their homework, etc. I have to say that I feel too busy sometimes - there's only one day each week where we come home straight from school and even then we head back out the door later an hour and a half later for swimming practice. The rest of the week there's dance class and on the days I work it's after school care or off to my parents place. I guess all that is only going to get worse once my youngest starts school and all of her activities need to happen after school too, at least now I can fit some in during the day on the days I don't work. Sometimes I wish we could just come home straight from school to make life a little less hectic, but I don't think that's entirely related to my part time work its just one if many contributing factors. Overall I enjoy my part time work even if I find life a bit of a juggle.