Closed Thread
Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    My comments were specific to what the thread was about.
    Your quite the stalker, that's a worry really!
    When people have offensive opinions and arrogant, boastful posts, they're sure to be remembered!

Nothing sinister!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (20-03-2013),ChickyBee  (20-03-2013),MamaNurture  (22-03-2013),sjay  (20-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I remember that too, sorry Kimberleygal!

I promise I'm not ganging up on you, it did stick in my mind though.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

sjay  (20-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If someone was on a 44k income they would also get quite a percentage of ccb so they would pay alot less than $330 per week for 2 kids in care meaning alot less than the regular daily fee. That's what I'm saying! Those getting both rebates are doing well and would be paying very minimal fees.
    You have absolutely no idea. Why is it that you continuously post in these threads, often big talking how much money you earn and the things that you own? It is absolutely awesome that you don't struggle as a working mother and $330 a week for CC is chump change for you, seriously it is great that everything in life has gone your way so that you are in that position.

Others aren't. Get over it. Please, please stop sneakily putting other Mothers down because they don't work or their partners don't earn a high income, requiring government assistance.
    Btw this is the SAHM chat section, I only say this as I seem to notice you don't like it when people with no point other than to antagonize go into threads specifically for the things you choose to do.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RobinSparkles For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (20-03-2013),Busy-Bee  (20-03-2013),dancingchipmunk  (21-03-2013),lambjam  (20-03-2013),LifeInShadesOfGrey  (20-03-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (20-03-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (20-03-2013),peanutmonkey  (20-03-2013),Tainted  (20-03-2013),Two Sweetpeas  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I think the obvious benefits are the parent can play a much larger role in their child's schooling. They can volunteer in the classroom, work in the canteen, do reading with the class. Then they are also available for after school activities. It also means they can help with homework in the afternoons rather than after work when everyone might be a little fractious.

$330 a week for two children in daycare is very cheap. Our OOP costs for Childcare when i worked full time was $600 a week for one child. Rent is similarly expensive in our area.
    Ds's class has a roster for parents to assist in which is great, I simply take the day off when my day comes up and do the volunteer for the canteen Friday's which is my day off and when dh is rostered home to be home for ds1. I am also on the committy board for the school so even though I work I am still very involved with my child's schooling.

The high rent here is due to the mining where we live and it's not the miners who rent the accommodation either because they are fifo so it's not like it's people on high wages paying high rent. It's absurd and doesn't look to be getting any better, the prices keep increasing. Good for those investors with rentals but not those having to rent when working in fields with no subsidy provided by the employer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yep this is us. We personally (and this is no reflection on those that choose or have to work) believe time and being raised by a parent during the day is far more important than Gap clothes and a big house with an equally big mortgage. We are excellent with money, our kids never ever go without. We just don't feel the need to be obsessed with money or possessions. I would much rather pass on to my kids, the gifts of empathy, love and kindness than a big fat trust fund.

I think the issue here is that some families just aren't interested in money. Sure, it's never a good idea to have another baby when your gas is about to be disconnected and you can't even afford food in the cupboards. But the expensive house, the designer crap is yawn worthy to me. Just bc a family doesn't own a 800k house and have a BMW doesn't mean they shouldn't have a family.

I grew up dirt poor, with much less than my children have and you know what I'm glad. I got myself an education and I value everything I have. I'm simply not interested in materialism. I'm happy with little, as is DH.

Different priorities I guess, and neither one is wrong or right.
    I agree as well. I am the youngest of 6 and we grew up in housing commission. My mum and dad both worked hard, we were poor, but you know what, we had food and clothes and a good education.

I have a degree and I love my job and I could not give a poo about material things. It doesn't make one a better person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ds's class has a roster for parents to assist in which is great, I simply take the day off when my day comes up and do the volunteer for the canteen Friday's which is my day off and when dh is rostered home to be home for ds1. I am also on the committy board for the school so even though I work I am still very involved with my child's schooling.

The high rent here is due to the mining where we live and it's not the miners who rent the accommodation either because they are fifo so it's not like it's people on high wages paying high rent. It's absurd and doesn't look to be getting any better, the prices keep increasing. Good for those investors with rentals but not those having to rent when working in fields with no subsidy provided by the employer.
    Oh I wasn't suggesting working parents couldn't do the types of things I listed. Just that the obvious benefit of being 'at home' was that they were easy to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    mmmm I'm curious to know how a child would benefit with having a stay at home parent if the kids are at school? What would the point be? I for one would be bored being at home on my own with the kids at school, I would rather be out working but that's just me. I don't need to work financially, I choose to because I love my work.

Dh works away, I work 4 days full days a week with 1 child in school currently. The second is in daycare the 4 days a week and the 5th day is our day together which I love. I don't find it hard to juggle, you just have to find that routine. Nor do I have family anywhere near close by to call on. I just manage.

My day goes a bit like this;
    5am- get out of bed (ds2 is an early riser but ds2 may sleep in til 5.30)
    I have a shower and get ready
    5.40 - Breakfast for all including feeding the 3 furry family members
    6.00 - Kids dressed, teeth and hair brushed, pack ds1's lunch in his bag
    6.15 - watch a bit of tv, quick tidy up of dishes etc from the morning.
    6.50 - Out of the door
    7.00 - drop ds1 to wait for the bus to school
    7.10 - drop ds2 off at daycare and spend time reading etc with him
    7.30 - I am at work and ready to start
    I work through lunch. Finish at 3-3.30 depending on if I have had a break through the day.
    DS1 finishes at 2.20pm and goes home with a friend 2 days a week and has after school care 2 days a week. If he had to come back to work with me for an hour he would be able to and has done.
    I pick ds up by 3.30 and ds2 up by 4pm. I have time to zip to the shops if need be. I also have a few hours of daylight left to enjoy time with the kids before dinner at 6pm, bath,and bed by 7pm for ds2 and 7.30pm for ds1. I make ds's lunch and pack their bags when they are in bed and have clothes ready for all of us for the next day. Usually on Sunday morning I cook bulk meals and freeze for occassions during the week so I don't have to cook every night. The weeks dh is home it's that little bit easier as he is very productive and hands on.

I also struggle when people suggest daycare fees are expensive, I don't think they are, not when a majority would be eligible for the ccb and the ccr and those not eligible for the ccb such as myself still get the ccr which is quite a cut leaving the oop manageable. Last year my oop for 2 in daycare was $330 per week which we didn't see as expensive. This year I have 1 less in daycare but school fees, excursions etc instead.
    Sorry but that schedule is horrible .. I would be very depressed if that was my life!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (20-03-2013),SoThisIsLove  (20-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I think the issue here is that some families just aren't interested in money. Sure, it's never a good idea to have another baby when your gas is about to be disconnected and you can't even afford food in the cupboards. But the expensive house, the designer crap is yawn worthy to me. Just bc a family doesn't own a 800k house and have a BMW doesn't mean they shouldn't have a family.

I grew up dirt poor, with much less than my children have and you know what I'm glad. I got myself an education and I value everything I have. I'm simply not interested in materialism. I'm happy with little, as is DH.

Different priorities I guess, and neither one is wrong or right.
    This!! Money isnt everything, i find it sad when people put such importance on material possessions.

We rent, dh works i sah. We own our car, we dont have the biggest latest or best but we are debt free and happy and i feel im giving my dd the best thing i can and that is my time and love.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (20-03-2013),peanutmonkey  (20-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep this is us. We personally (and this is no reflection on those that choose or have to work) believe time and being raised by a parent during the day is far more important than Gap clothes and a big house with an equally big mortgage. We are excellent with money, our kids never ever go without. We just don't feel the need to be obsessed with money or possessions. I would much rather pass on to my kids, the gifts of empathy, love and kindness than a big fat trust fund.

Yup i agree with this too, i think people are getting disenchanted with the mcmansion and the fancy car and are moving back to a more simple life with their kids. Time is something you can't buy. To a lot of women and families, it's worth it to sacrifice those early years to be home with their children rather than be out working to have more "stuff". Totally each to their own but I do think there is a shift in the last few years for more mums to stay home longer, and sacrifice financially.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (20-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    People think outside the box, both parents working full time doesn't mean 5 days a week childcare ( I might add if you're working you should get some back in rebates anyway)
    Our kids will be 1-2 days at the most, why? Because DH and I will work alternative days, and when there's a clash that's when childcare comes into it. There are 7 days a week and in this day and age there are plenty of jobs overnight or on weekends so you can swap. We will still have family time and we will also get individual time with our kids.
    I also find it hilarious that people are claiming after childcare they will only have a bit left over, but isn't that more than what you have now? Isn't some money better than none?
    Plus many of those lower income jobs are actually the ones that can work nights and weekends so effectively the other parent ( assuming youre not solo) can look after the kids whilst you work ( and as part of your role is not the standard mon- fri it should mean you have a weekday or two off therefore less days at childcare ).
    Sorry I know that this is the sahm thread now ( didn't realize at first) but it really bothers me those that stay at home and cry foul at us working parents being given an opportunity to spend some time with our bubs when we have/ are financially contributing to the tax system and in my opinion should have the opportunity.