Closed Thread
Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    It all depends on when people start their families as well. I'm in my early 30s pregnant with my first and myself and DP have a well established career which brings in a decent income, but it would be a very different situation for e.g. if we had children in our very early 20's or even younger. Young families who don't have a decade of work/study/saving behind them would find it a lot harder to save a deposit for a house.

I think also (and i could be wrong) but there is a bit of a trend in families now returning to more traditional values and opting to rent for longer while their children are small so that they can stay home till they go to preschool, and waiting to buy a house. So quality time with the family is being valued above financial security (which might come later in life).
    Yes we pretty much did what you did and set ourselves up earlier then planned the family. But in saying that we are only also going to have as many kids as we can feel we can afford, if we didn't think we could afford to have another we wouldn't, it's as simple as that! I think people don't often think about the expense when having children, they just do it then think, worry, complain about the cost of things later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think in a perfect world it would be great if PPL was for a year so that women had a year off to breastfeed (if they so choose) and then return to work part or full time after a year (if they so choose) but i feel very grateful with the current amount of PPL.

I've never really viewed being a SAHM as a "job" rather a role you choose to undertake. I'm about to become a SAHM and while i will get some maternity leave from my employer (which I'm happy about after working full time for 12 years) once that has run out, it's never occurred to me that the government should pay me to be a SAHM.

I believe that being a SAHM is a valuable, amazing role and it is sad that it's undervalued at times, but i don't think it needs to have a dollar value attached to it. You have to choose to be a SAHM and most of the time, sacrifice other material possessions to be able to do it for more than a few years these days. Unless your partner is on a very high income, its hard to do it all. My mum's generation didn't expected to be paid to stay home, and neither do I.

If all mum's we're paid to be at home for a long period. we wouldn't have enough women in the workforce to be doctors, nurses, teachers, childcare workers.

Unfortunately with super, its the way the cookie crumbles, women usually have to take more time out of the workforce to have children so have less super. I'm not really sure what an easy solution to that is.
    I was coming on to say something similar - I have a real problem with the whole 'choice' issue - I think a lot of SAHM's don't see it as being a choice so much as a need (myself included). I needed to stay home with DS for the first 2 years - even though I ate through my savings and really needed the money as a single parent. It's something I felt I needed to do and putting him in FT daycare, long days, would have broken my heart. It's a 'choice ' many women feel they 'have' to make.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I don't have a problem with what Abbot said.

I think lower income stay at home parents should receive some generic assistance when having kids (centrelink, baby bonus...)

Paid parental leave is designed so that working parents can stay home when bub is young. Its not a bonus just for popping out a kid. Stay at home parents are already at home so don't need the assistance.

I agree with Abbot, you want the dough, join the workforce.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (20-03-2013),lambjam  (20-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Yes we pretty much did what you did and set ourselves up earlier then planned the family. But in saying that we are only also going to have as many kids as we can feel we can afford, if we didn't think we could afford to have another we wouldn't, it's as simple as that! I think people don't often think about the expense when having children, they just do it then think, worry, complain about the cost of things later.
    Or, some people's circumstances change after having children.

Or, some people believe that less money is required to raise children than others

Or, some people's spouse leaves them... or sadly passes away.

Or, some people have children when they are flat broke, then manage to make a lot of money later in life.

Life is unpredictable!

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (20-03-2013),beebs  (20-03-2013),Busy-Bee  (20-03-2013),Clementine Grace  (20-03-2013),dancingchipmunk  (20-03-2013),LoveLivesHere  (20-03-2013),peanutmonkey  (20-03-2013),RobinSparkles  (20-03-2013),SoThisIsLove  (20-03-2013),Tainted  (20-03-2013),Two Sweetpeas  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Isn't the average australian full time wage about 44k (so half of the population earns less than that). Is $330 for about 3 days a week of day care for two kids? If someone on an average wage is working 3 days a week, their income is about $500 a week before tax. So after tax, it's equal to an income of $50-$100 a week so daycare is quite expensive for some if their income isn't high enough.
    If someone was on a 44k income they would also get quite a percentage of ccb so they would pay alot less than $330 per week for 2 kids in care meaning alot less than the regular daily fee. That's what I'm saying! Those getting both rebates are doing well and would be paying very minimal fees.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I def see your point as i do feel people really need to look at how many kids they realistically can afford. Just that sometimes things come up in life that you don't plan so it isn't always so simple. We set ourselves up pretty well, but we didn't factor in having to spend 25K on IVF and medical bills in order to have a child. Marriages break down, people die, families take on their elderly or sick parents and support them sometimes it just doesn't go to plan. Or you go for the 3rd child and they turn out to be sick or high needs and you can't go back to work as planned. It isn't always a simple plan.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    LOL you bragged you had that many shoes after a big clean out! And then your outfits as well!

I am not jealous if you, quite the opposite in fact
    My comments were specific to what the thread was about.
    Your quite the stalker, that's a worry really!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think also (and i could be wrong) but there is a bit of a trend in families now returning to more traditional values and opting to rent for longer while their children are small so that they can stay home till they go to preschool, and waiting to buy a house. So quality time with the family is being valued above financial security (which might come later in life).
    Yep this is us. We personally (and this is no reflection on those that choose or have to work) believe time and being raised by a parent during the day is far more important than Gap clothes and a big house with an equally big mortgage. We are excellent with money, our kids never ever go without. We just don't feel the need to be obsessed with money or possessions. I would much rather pass on to my kids, the gifts of empathy, love and kindness than a big fat trust fund.

I think the issue here is that some families just aren't interested in money. Sure, it's never a good idea to have another baby when your gas is about to be disconnected and you can't even afford food in the cupboards. But the expensive house, the designer crap is yawn worthy to me. Just bc a family doesn't own a 800k house and have a BMW doesn't mean they shouldn't have a family.

I grew up dirt poor, with much less than my children have and you know what I'm glad. I got myself an education and I value everything I have. I'm simply not interested in materialism. I'm happy with little, as is DH.

Different priorities I guess, and neither one is wrong or right.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (20-03-2013),beebs  (20-03-2013),Busy-Bee  (20-03-2013),Clementine Grace  (20-03-2013),LoveLivesHere  (20-03-2013),peanutmonkey  (20-03-2013),SoThisIsLove  (20-03-2013),Two Sweetpeas  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    My comments were specific to what the thread was about.
    Your quite the stalker, that's a worry really!
    I remember that too... I'm not a stalker

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (20-03-2013),hollychops  (21-03-2013),Stiflers Mom  (20-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yep this is us. We personally (and this is no reflection on those that choose or have to work) believe time and being raised by a parent during the day is far more important than Gap clothes and a big house with an equally big mortgage. We are excellent with money, our kids never ever go without. We just don't feel the need to be obsessed with money or possessions. I would much rather pass on to my kids, the gifts of empathy, love and kindness than a big fat trust fund.

I think the issue here is that some families just aren't interested in money. Sure, it's never a good idea to have another baby when your gas is about to be disconnected and you can't even afford food in the cupboards. But the expensive house, the designer crap is yawn worthy to me. Just bc a family doesn't own a 800k house and have a BMW doesn't mean they shouldn't have a family.

I grew up dirt poor, with much less than my children have and you know what I'm glad. I got myself an education and I value everything I have. I'm simply not interested in materialism. I'm happy with little, as is DH.

Different priorities I guess, and neither one is wrong or right.
    Well said. I agree entirely.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast